Foliage variety and overlap issue 4.16.1

So I set my foliage tool up with 1 tree, 1 rock and 1 grass.

The tool allows me to set a radius, and that does a good job keeping trees away from trees and rocks away from rocks, but it does not keep rocks away from trees. Furthermore, there is grass growing inside all of my rocks. From what I can tell, an older version of UE4 had two options “Shade Radius” and “Collision Radius.” Are these settings gone? Is there any way I can get that same effect with the Foliage tool or do I just need to use materials for procedural generation in this version?

So far, the workaround I have found is to check only grass and shift-click around all of my trees and rocks to remove the grass from inside them. That kind of defeats the purpose of an automatic tool though.

Hey dude, the features you’re referring to are part of the Procedural Foliage Volume stuff, not within the Foliage Painter Tool itself. To use Shade Radius and Collision Radius, my guess is that you need to keep using the volume (the last time I used it, you could use the Foliage Painter Tool in combination with PFV).

It’s still an experimental feature so you have to check it on in your project settings.

Thanks. I had watched/read quite a few things about it, but I somehow missed that part.

Should I be concerned about the fact that it is experimental? If it is only prone to crashing while using it, I don’t mind so much. However, if it can affect the stability or performance of my game then I would just take the manual approach.

It turns out I asked something similar early last year at my old job:

https://answers.unrealengine.com/questions/378064/procedural-procedural-foliage-volumes-and-foliage.html

Perfect. That’s exactly what I needed to know. Thanks for all the help.