In need of direction for 3rd person game

So here’s the deal fam:
Ive had ue4 for quite some time. I’ve dabbled in terrain editing and making a few buildings as blueprints for some restaurant ideas.
But as far as the A to Z in making a full on game I find myself getting lost in mostly irrelevant information for my objective.
I’m looking to make an arena style 3rd person beat 'em up kind of game.
Players will have customization in both character and weapons, and the weapons will all be melee (until further notice).
My budget is almost non existent but now that I have a new job I will be setting aside money till I’ve hit about $1k and will go on a rampant asset buying spree. So for now I must stick with whatever information and skills I can acquire for free or very minimal price.
Lastly, Thanks to whomever decides to contribute some knowledge to this aspiring dev. I want to make a career out of it, albeit that’ll take some time but I’m completely ready for whatever time and patience this takes.

Well, I cant give you specific direction because it depends on the details of your game. But I will recommend you start by learning the basics first. Learn about the UE4 editor, look at the free Epic templates to see how its all set up, and even look at tutorials like this series: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLSlkDq2rO1t7eEyfF8eiTsGGGtFOBz1vb.

There are also really good Udemy courses that will help you understand the “Unreal way” of doing things and how everything fits together.

After this, then you will have the knowledge to get started on your game idea.

I would also advice against simply buying a bunch of assets without knowing the basics first because you won’t understand them and wont be able to combine them together. Most assest in the Marketplace are high quality but dont necessarily play well together - its up to you to determine what can be integrated into your game.

I know its probably not what you want to hear, but its the truth…you gotta learn the basics before you can make your dream game. It took me about 6 months to get up to speed and now I feel I can take my ideas and create actual games.

Good luck!

I agree. Learning the basics help a lot. I started with UDK and I was just making random things, testing things out. And when UE4 came out some of the BPs were pretty similar to the kismet in UDK just some things reworded. As well as don’t buy a whole bunch of assets unless you can see or know they will work and look good with your game. I advise to get a modeling program like Blender and make some assets of your own.

And with UE4 I made random maps for the first while as well to see what I can do and what I need to learn. After a while with everything you learn slowly start making test maps of what you would like for your game and see which works best.

That’s what I did and now I’m 1 1/2 yrs into making my game and I’m still learning new things that I’m putting into my game and it’s just making it better. If you are making it alone it will take time running into errors and what not. But it’s all in the learning process. I hope this was helpful in a way. Good luck.