Location Toolkit

Location Toolkit
Geographical Toolbox for Unreal Engine Projects
Marketplace | Documentation | Android App

Location Toolkit is an asset pack on the Unreal Engine 4 marketplace. The pack contains blueprints, tools, static meshes, materials, and textures to support the development of geographic location related features and projects. The kit is particularly effective for mobile platform support where the device location is available. The content can also be used for other platforms such as PC or consoles.
Data location whiteboard actor blueprint…

• Customizable planar map location with location marker/pin actor blueprint.

• Customizable spherical map location with location marker/pin actor blueprint.

• Modular and customizable location marker/pin 2D/3D actor blueprints.

• Configurable mobile location engine actor component blueprint.

• Random, satellite-like, level capture location engine blueprint.

• Various conversion functions: location to pretty text, JSON, decimal, degree/minute/seconds, rotation, cardinal point, etc…

• Gimbal avoidance rotator calculator function.

• Observer design pattern interface implemented on the location engine and presenter blueprints: example of production implementations.

• Over 30 blueprints.

• Over 200 textures.

• Most texture resolutions from 8192x8192, 4096x4096, 2048x2048, 1024x1024, to 512x512

• Over 30 materials.

• Materials derive from a master material with instances as variation.

• Engine compatibility from 4.17 to 4.25+.

• Supported development platforms: PC and others.

• Supported target build platforms: All.

• GPS feature is mobile only (iOS and Android).

• Tested platforms: Android, iOS, PC.

An Android application demonstrating some of the toolkit features is available at: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d…ocationToolkit https://youtube.com/watch?v=xs5twcI7Xwo

If you have any feature requests, or any questions, do not hesitate to send us a message at [EMAIL=“cerise.software@gmail.com”]cerise.software@gmail.com and let us know! Thank you!

Marketplace | Documentation | Android App

Location Toolkit: July 16, 2017 Update

Location Toolkit: July 16, 2017 Update

Hello,
Here is an update on the recent WIP and activities for this location toolkit:

• The toolkit has been staged for a few weeks. I have been contacted by Epic Games for a small recheck. A few minor cleanups, improvements, and optimizations. A big thank you to @MikeViolette and more recently to [MENTION=49]Adam Davis[/MENTION].
  • Location Toolkit joined **Cartdrge **portfolio platform which was showcased in a recent UE video. You can follow most recent WIP and activities at https://cartrdge.com/cerisesoftware/projects/location-toolkit
  • An Unreal Engine wiki article is in the work for the toolkit. Check it out at A new, community-hosted Unreal Engine Wiki - Announcements and Releases - Unreal Engine Forums. More tutorials coming soon.
  • Added a set of modular compass rose textures and example materials. See screenshot below. More to come.
  • Added a blueprint for scene capture of map level location engine which positions the player on the real-time captured map of the level.
  • Added configuration capabilities to the orbital location engine.
  • Improving planet Earth material. Added a lot of configuration and features. See screenshot below. Many more to come.
  • Many improvements, hygiene, minor defect fixing.

wip_location_toolkit_600x480_2017-07-15.png wip-modular-compass-rose-600-2017-07-08.png

Expect periodic post updates with progress. The main post is updated on marketplace releases.

Location Toolkit: July 22, 2017 Update

Hello,

• Added nightlight capabilities for the planet material. Emissive control support. See screenshot below. More to come.
  • Added atmospheric effect capabilities for the planet material. Hue and thickness control support. See screenshot below. More to come.
  • Improved mobile compatibility of the Earth material, functions, and features.
  • Many improvements, hygiene, and feature tweaks.

786e34286dd23c98b62d37b74b1275fb9f70e6c2.jpeg

Expect periodic post updates with progress. The main post is updated on marketplace releases.

Location Toolkit: August 12, 2017 Update

Hello,

• Improved atmospheric material: reflection, refraction, and halo.
  • Added Android runtime permission support.
  • Converted project to 4.17.
  • Added a simple flag location pin static mesh.
  • Many improvements, hygiene, and feature tweaks.

8be2f7fc5b4524dc362a6d65855934e0ee9d9914.jpeg

Stay tuned for exciting new features, functionality, and assets.

Location Toolkit: August 26, 2017 Update

Hello,
Here is an update for the recent WIP and activities for the Lcation Toolkit content:

Stay tuned for exciting new features, functionality, and assets.

Location Toolkit: September 12, 2017 Update
I am pleased to announce that the Location Toolkit has been released by Epic Games and is available on the marketplace for Unreal Engine 4!
Enjoy!

@daeilkim asked a question about whether it is possible to use your custom GPS (lon/lat) coordinates to the map and have the pin update automatically.
Yes, it is possible: You can feed your own GPS (lon/lat) coordinates to the map and have the pin update it automatically. The map can observe (be attached to) any blueprint which implements the “observable location interface”. You can create an engine and get your own data, and attach the map to your engine, and voila! Take a look at the “random location engine” and the “orbital location engine”. They are the best examples of how to achieve this. The attach part is in the level blueprint but you could have it anywhere else. I can certainly add more template/example engines for you to implement you own functionality in the next update for the toolkit. Hope this helps!

Does this require 325mb of storage space on android/ios as per your demo level? Do you have a list of the blueprint nodes you have incorporated and any tutorials as to implementing them or even a demo level? Thanks

Hello @darinsmyth,

• The toolkit in itself if lightweight and does not require 325MB of storage space. My demo could surely be optimized. It is simple and small. The Unreal Engine does require several mobile default plugins: Android Runtime Permission, Mobile Location Services, Mobile Location Services, and Mobile Location Services Blueprint Library. More details in the readme file.
  • There are currently two short tutorials inside the kit: one is a general walkthrough, the other focuses on the location blueprint. The featurette video gives an overview (https://youtu.be/xs5twcI7Xwo). There are several example of how to implement your own location engine and the API has the interfaces defined. Check out the “random location engine” and the “orbital location engine”. They are good starting points.
  • I will look into adding a blueprint nodes list in the wiki documentation: A new, community-hosted Unreal Engine Wiki - Announcements - Epic Developer Community Forums Any format you would like in particular?
  • There is an overview level which demonstrate most features. There is also a demo level for mobile platform:

Glad you asked! Thank you!

Thank you for getting back to me, I have just purchased.

Thank you! I would love to hear more on your opinion, thoughts, and feature requests. Feel free to reach out anytime at cerise.software@gmail.com.

Location Toolkit: October 8, 2017 Update
Hello,
Here is an update for the recent WIP and activities for the Location Toolkit pack:

• Added multi-layered blueprint sphere/planet for automatically stacking materials. Useful for planets.
  • Added a UMG Widget location presenter used for a mini phone/tablet app demo. Requested by users.
  • Added initial support of location data representation on spheres. Exciting new feature.
  • Added a few more location pin textures. More variety.
  • Generalized the texture presenter transforms of plan textures. More flexible.
  • Improved the handling of the presenter and nameplate titles. Consolidated API.
  • Updated the documentation at A new, community-hosted Unreal Engine Wiki - Announcements and Releases - Unreal Engine Forums. Requested by users.
  • Opened the cerisesoftware.slack.com Slack channel to support this project. If you need support!
  • Various improvements, fixes, and tweaks.
  • Getting ready for UE4 update 4.18. We will release at the same time / shortly following.
  • Let us know of any requests!
  • Lots of upcoming cool features and ideas! Enjoy!

https://cartrdge-east.s3.amazonaws.com/uploads/post/image/57edde7c-5403-4d9c-9b75-b436c5bd40ec/wip_location_toolkit_2017-10-08.png

Location Toolkit: October 24, 2017 Update
Hello,
I am happy to report the Location Toolkit for Unreal Engine 4.18 will be available on the market place shortly. This update include all features developed in September and October:

• Added multi-layered blueprint sphere/planet for automatically stacking materials. Useful for planets!
  • Added a UMG Widget location presenter used for a mini phone/tablet app demo. Requested by users!
  • Added initial support of location data representation on spheres. Exciting new feature!
  • Added a few more location pin textures. More variety…
  • Generalized the texture presenter transforms of plan textures. More customizable!
  • Improved the handling of the presenter and nameplate titles. Consolidated API!
  • Updated the documentation at A new, community-hosted Unreal Engine Wiki - Announcements and Releases - Unreal Engine Forums. Requested by users!
  • Opened the cerisesoftware.slack.com Slack channel to support this project. If you need 24/7-ish support!
  • Numerous improvements, fixes, and tweaks.

Full release notes

Enjoy!

Hi, would there be any possibility of including a compass feature in this? Also, is there any method to convert the real location data to the proper street names? Thanks

Hello Darinsmyth and thank you for reaching out on the forum and through the private messages,

About a compass feature: I am absolutely interested in putting in a compass feature in the toolkit. It is on my road-map for the pack. I had already built in a few textures for compasses as a preliminary/exploratory work. I brainstorm and test ideas about compass features. Could you further describe what you you have in mind? I will surely be able to add it in the next update. I created a few more compass textures. I expanded cardinal point support, names and letter codes to 16 directions. I am testing a compass widget, north pole component, compass static mesh(es) with needle(s) and blueprint logic. Let me know if you have something else in mind or any focus area?

About real location data to the proper street names: I have played with the Google API for geocoding and it seemed promising. It is a bigger feature but I can certainly consider it for a future version of the pack: https://developers.google.com/maps/d…eocoding/intro

Hello F3NR1S, thank you for getting back to me. Basically was hoping the compass feature could be used in tandem with the location feature to indicate if the player was facing a particular direction i.e. North, South, East, West etc once they reached a particular location.

The Geocode translation feature would be fantastic, I really need ‘real’ street names rather than long/lat. Have you any suggestions how I could implement this?

Location Toolkit: December 3, 2017 Update
Hello,
Here is an update for the recent WIP and activities for the Location Toolkit pack:

• Added a vintage compass static mesh and a needle.
  • Scripted a compass blueprint asset to point to the North blueprint.
  • Added more compass textures. More variety. x3
  • Extended compass cardinal enumeration to 16 directions. Name and letter code. E.g.: North North West (NNW)

These features are getting finalized and would be part of the next marketplace update along with others. Stay tuned and feel free to suggest ideas, additions, and improvements to the toolkit. Here is a spoiler:

Darinsmyth,
I must have missed the notification from your latest message. Sorry for the delay. I am expanding the pack support for compass assets and scripts. Also for cardinal point functionality. And thank you for the feedback on navigation, I add it to the list.

• Are you targeting real world or virtual world North, South, East, West? Is your platform PC or mobile? Do you want to leverage the magnetometer of smart phones? Do you have a project page? I’m curious. Haha :smiley: You can send me a private message if you don’t want to make it public.
  • About the geocoding: at this point I haven’t quite figured out all the difficulties with it but in principle the feature infrastructure would need to contain a web/HTTP client to contact the Internet servers, a JSON parser, and the blueprint API. I would want to reduce the complexity so it can be as easy as just entering your own Google API key in the plugin (geocoding is not free at scale). It would mean the game or application must be online. That’s how I would start this project. It’s a larger feature I will continue to evaluate.
  • What do you think of the compass asset of the previous post?

Location Toolkit: December 28, 2017 Update
Hello,
The end of the year approaches, I want to take a few minutes and thank all of you who made the Location Toolkit an appreciated, useful, and versatile pack. With you encouragements, messages, and questions you have helped me improve and enhance the pack. 2018 is ready for success: many features in research, development, or testing phase; more dedicated time available.
As we continue this adventure next year I look forward to hearing more from you: feature requests, support questions, and of course insights in how you use the toolkit in your own projects may they be games or applications. Good luck out there and have fun. Thank you!
Fen

Location Toolkit: February 17, 2018 Update + Release

Hello,
I am pleased to announce another update of the Location Toolkit to the marketplace for Unreal Engine 4.18.3. And here are some of the major highlights for the new release notes update:

• Added a vintage compass static mesh and a needle.
  • Scripted a compass blueprint asset to point to the North blueprint.
  • Added more compass textures. More variety. x3
  • Extended compass cardinal enumeration to 16 directions. Name and letter code. E.g.: North North West (NNW)
  • Reverse lookup: world map to location and altitude data with demonstration.
  • Minor static meshes and light maps improvements.
  • Documentation improvements and fixes.
  • [SIZE=12px]Support for Unreal Engine 4.18.3 release.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12px]Note: A partner found a possible race condition during the construction of the Geo Location Engine blueprint which may manifest itself when updating the kit or the project. As a result, a previously working project with a location engine may stop providing location updates and default back its parameters. A fix will be provided in the next release. If you encounter this issue, you may use one of the following workarounds: merely rewire the Geo Location Engine blueprint to force the ordering or add a small time delay between the creation of the component and the component addition in the parent blueprint (BeginPlay event for instance).

Please do let me know if you have any question or feature request. There are user requests already in progress for the next update in addition to content addition and improvement.[/SIZE]

Thank you,
Fen