"FObjectInitializer::Get() can only be inside UObject-derived class constuctor" error in plugin

Hi, Unreal gurus,

I’m implementing a InputDevice plugin in order to add some extra event to virtual stick.
I start with this guide and change as few as possible to make it compatible with recent UE4 version. It can be built fine.
(You can check my source in attachment. I didn’t do any complex operation, just add some LOG, that’s all.)

But unfortunately, when I enable this plugin in a code project.
The UE4Editor crash with the following message:

[2017.06.19-09.17.51:658]  0]LogTemp:Warning: Created new input device!
Fatal error: [File:/home/sbbg/Shared/UnrealEngine/Engine/Source/Runtime/CoreUObject/Private/UObject/UObjectGlobals.cpp] [Line: 3208] 
FObjectInitializer::Get() can only be used inside of UObject-derived class constructor.
[2017.06.19-09.17.51:660]  0]LogLinux:Error: appError called: Assertion failed: Assertion failed:  [File:/home/sbbg/Shared/UnrealEngine/Engine/Source/Runtime/CoreUObject/Private/UObject/UObjectGlobals.cpp] [Line: 3208] 
FObjectInitializer::Get() can only be used inside of UObject-derived class constructor.

Signal 11 caught.

I wonder why does this fail so miserably.
I also check some plugin on GitHub like: GitHub - getsetgames/Swipe: A plugin for Unreal Engine 4 that exposes swipes on mobile devices as and GitHub - getnamo/CIMPlugin: Custom Input Mapping Plugin for the Unreal Engine 4.
Found that: they didn’t even implement IInputDeviceModule at all.

Does it have anything to do with this crash?
Is the input plugin guide outdated now?

1 Like

The message is fairly straightforward, it just means you have a class that isn’t deriving from UObject and you’re trying to use the FObjectInitializer in the constructor - which can’t be done.

1 Like