Will unreal engine suite my game

Hi folks,

I am 13 and want to start building my own game. I am currently choosing which engine to choose. The game will take place underwater and you will basically create a civilization in the ocean. it has to process a lot of citizens. You could kinda compare it to rimworld. I would like to know if unreal would suite this or could I better go with unity?

Yes, the engine can.
You will need the time to learn it as well as different aspects of game development.
Start off with small things, like making water, making a swimming character, reef and water wild life, etc.
It will not be quick, most good games take years of development, plus you have the added time of learning the engine.
Read the resources religiously so you can get better quickly.

Ue4 is just a tool, you need to learn how to use it. It can take years to fully learn ue4 and game development in general.

I am still wondering why almost all simulation/management games are made with unity if there is no real difference. Are there big differences in performace between the two? I am prepared to learn for a long time and work on it. See it as a kind of life project. Also I noticed I didn’t tell you yet but the view will be from the top of the city. Does that change anything?

Unity has been out longer than UE4 and as such is more widely used.
I think since UE4 has come out, there will be a shift in game development.

I’ve used both engines on released titles and personally i’ll prefer UE4. In Unreal4 the engine basically stops you from making mistakes, their tools are designed for a certain workflow that just makes sense. Now Unity is much more open and you can get results much quicker, however you can easily spent months into a project without realizing you made a design mistake, so you might end up redoing that part or just ‘living with it’. After working with UE4 for almost 2 years now the Unity Editor feels ‘clunky’ for me. However, for small projects - especially 2D stuff i still prefer Unity for simplicity reasons. E.g. i wrote a loader/patcher for my game using the Unity engine, some say that might be overkill but since you have quick access to DirectX Drawing and the benefit of quick coding in C# it felt. Unity can also be used for apps and is not limited to games (See megascans for example, their editor is written in unity as well)

If you are new to game development i rather recommend you UE4 as the engine will teach you how to get things done properly…