What is going on with the search in Documentation?

Hey, what is going on with the search in Documentation?
It’s been replaced by some bing stuff which is really awful.

1. It does not have C++ API and Blueprint API tabs
  2. Instead of using current tab it ALWAYS either creates a new one or “overrides” next tab.
  3. Well, can’t say for sure, but search results looks meh

Aye, the search is fubar. Also, why the switch to Bing? Thats so… meh.

Oh my god, after first search you can’t even modify your request or copy it - it’s unselectable D:

fubar is a pretty accurate description for the search.

Meanwhile… you could use this address to quick search engines in your browser. I didn’t notice any issues here.
https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest/INT/Search/index.html?q=%s&x=0&y=0

In Chrome I simply type “u” (my shortcut phrase for Unreal) + space + searched term. It’s the quickest way to search :slight_smile:

Hey there,

To our disappointment, Google is changing a few of their policies, and we’re unable to provide an ad-free user experience on unrealengine.com properties with Google as a search solution at this time. Because of this, we’ve moved our search over to Bing for now to ensure that the results that are served to developers are what is expected and not advertisements.

Hey Chance, thanks for chiming in!
UE4 is a pretty big thing and ability to navigate efficiently through the docs is important for any developer.
If we here to stay with Bing then okay, yet these new issues still should be fixed IMHO:

1. Search on C++ and Blueprint API is unavailable to users
  2. Quick search tags/terms on https://docs.unrealengine.com/ are not working
  3. Search is utilizing only next adjacent tab in browser instead of using current one or creating new one
  4. You can’t edit or select your query after your first search

#2 will be fixed today. #1 is being added and is working in a dev environment here. I will make sure our devs know about #3 and #4 so we can get those fixed as well.

[EDIT]
#2 is now fixed (make sure to refresh).
[/EDIT]

I’ve managed to make a “good” request with bing.

Fuzzy search for “rotate” in API:

rotate site:docs.unrealengine.com intitle:"api" -intitle:"blueprint"

Exact match:

site:docs.unrealengine.com intitle:"api" -intitle:"blueprint" intitle:"rotate"

Yes, it does work in UE search (with minor issues):

I’ve tried instreamset as well:

scene instreamset:url:“api” -instreamset:url:“blueprint” works the same as “(url)” (it’s just it doesn’t work on bing’s site)

Also, would be useful to show the full path of the match (non cropped):