Vive handle Menu

Hi everyone,

Someone know how to create or where I can find information to be able to create a “handle menu” or a simple “handle image” for the HTC Vive? I am creating archviz virtual reality and I would like to create an “handle menu” that will show the floor plan with the character location when we press a button of the motion controller.

Here a good example of the Barcelona pavilion from UE4Arch that allow you to take in your hand an information board about the pavilion and freely manipulate it.

351188c61518f5d645dad191cd9b050894075e2f.jpeg

Thank you in advance!

It’s easy.

You only needs a Widget and attach it to an Actor. To do this, go to User Interface, Widget and create it. Then, create an Actor and append the Widget to it. You can Attach this actor to Motion Controller, to Location … With Widget Interaction module in this actor, you can interact with this widget.

This is the info from unreal to achieve this.

Widget Interaction

https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest/INT/Engine/UMG/HowTo/InWorldWidgetInteraction/

Widget Creation

https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest/INT/Engine/UMG/HowTo/Create3DWidgets/

Regards!

Thanks you Aidan, I will check this out!

I have been able to create the actor and the widget interaction module, but I don’t understand how to “attach this actor to motion controller”

Mitch in is video is explaining what I really want to do, but its look like the plugin that is using is not working anymore with UE4 new engine version.

That video is a bit outdated. All you need to do is instead of “Add Components -> Widget” on an empty actor, do it in MotionController_BP (I’m assuming you are using the VR template). You’ll need to rotate the widget since it will be onesided.

Thanks everyone!

It worked perfectly! I also configured it to toggle is visibility on the left controller only. The floor plan is also dynamic so the red dot is updating with the character position.

Here a little screenshot of the result!

Hi again!

I would like to expand this handle “floor Plan” settings.

Now I have 2 different levels and I would like that the character blueprint detect which level is open and set the good floor plan inside my motion controller component. Something like : “if level 1 is open, set floor plan 1 or if level 2 is open set floor plan 2”

I don’t know if there is a way to do that. It wont be practical to be obligated to create 2 different player character.

Thanks again!