No Editor Game Hanging on Splash Screen ConstructorHelpers::FObjectFinder SkeletalMesh is NULL

Hello, I have switched to 4.16 recently, I’m using a source built 4.16.1 and I can get our game running fine in editor.

I can’t say the same about non-editor builds. Whenever I run a non editor game either as a packaged build or launching through VS, the game hangs on the splash screen and does nothing. looking at the callstacks from both a VS launched and attached to process of a packaged build I noticed it’s coming from ConstructorHelpers::FObjectFinder called from Object Initializer and only for certain assets referenced via file path always come back as NULL.

seeing a pattern that most of the assets are Skeletal Meshes with the naming convention of “Name_Mesh”, I renamed all of these assets in the content browser “NameMesh” thinking the underscore could confuse the object finder like it’s reading them like “_C”. that wasn’t the case. I have also not only renamed the assets but I have also moved them to different folders in the Content Browser. Still no success. I have tried launching a no editor build on a binary UE4 and even on another machine. Issues still occur. I also want to mention that this is only happening with my project. I’ve been having no issues with Example Projects running in No Editor. I’m severely stumped. I don’t call my self a programmer and my C++ knowledge is limited to UE4’s API.

So if anyone here has any ideas, please let me know.

Thanks, :slight_smile:

After extensive toubleshooting, my best conclusion is that all of these issues have to do with the New asset manager system in 4.16
What really bugs me is this feature is officially “Experimental” yet it’s in my way when I run packaged builds. Is there a way to bypass this system or do I need to conform to this work in progress feature?

My temporary solution is assigning the Skeletal Mesh and all other assets not reading in NoEditor to a child Blueprint class.

136465-runtimeassetmanagementin416.pdf (512 KB)

this is the best documentation I can find for the new asset manager but It’s not very clear on transition instructions IMO
if anyone knows more about working with 4.16’s asset manager please let me know. Thanks,

So it was the new asset manager. and I figured out how to turn it off.

Turns out I was right about the asset manager being the cause of my problems. I really don’t know why this was turned on.

But to turn it off Go to Project Settings->Engine-Streaming and Set “Async Loading Thread Enabled” and “Event Driven Loader Enabled” to False.

Packaged Builds run perfectly now. :slight_smile: