Training Livestream - Baking Materials To Textures - June 13 - Live from Epic HQ

WHAT

In this live stream is discussing how create 2D Textures of complex Materials using a number of different ways inside UE4. We will be using Blueprints & Render Targets, World Position Offset and the High Resolution Screenshot tool. Sam is also going to look at how to use the LOD and Merge Actor tools in new and creative ways to help in overall optimization. We will be using mainly UE4 to do all of this but Sam will also need to use Photoshop to do some image conversion from HDR to 8 bit.

DOWNLOAD PROJECT

WHEN
Tuesday, June 13th @ 2:00PM ET Countdown]

WHERE
Twitch
Facebook
Youtube

WHO

• Sr. Technical Writer - ]()

Feel free to ask any questions on the topic in the thread below, and remember, while we try to give attention to all inquiries, it’s not always possible to answer’s questions as they come up. This is especially true for off-topic requests, as it’s rather likely that we don’t have the appropriate person around to answer. Thanks for understanding!

ARCHIVE:

I’m so hyped about this I’ll skip work for a couple of hours!

Sounds like a great stream!

Only thing to make it better is to have and the guys dancing as the stream starts! Lets make that happen ! :stuck_out_tongue:

Hey , where do find the example project from this livestream?

[MENTION=8] [/MENTION]

Does anyone know how to convert those .HDR files into .EXR or something? I can’t seem to find anything to do that, and I don’t have access to Photoshop.

Where is the video. Don’t see anything in the links, only 6 minutes of nothingness in the FB video :-/

And where is the video?

Video is here on Twitch :

It’s always available there first, until the cool people that do the Youtube archiving get the to get to it.

Archive is up! The project is also up on the post, enjoy!

Hello, [MENTION=8] [/MENTION]

Such a helpful stream i learned a lot!

I have couple of questions and i will glad if someone answer me :slight_smile: Why some actors have bigger uv shells after merging ? For example i attend to merge 5 objects and they have fair big uv shells, but when i merge single object like in my case SM_Couch_1seat the uv shells are small. Is there a variant that i can control how big my uv shells will be after merge actor ? I’ve tried use texture binning option but doesn’t improve the result.

Also i take a look at SM_DeskLamp model and i wonder why UV channel 0 have overlapping uv’s? Is there a any purpose of doing that? It seems that the uv’s for the top and the bottom of the lamp overlap each other, and from what ive seen its totally fine.

Example1 Example2

Have a nice day :)!

hello, your living room is good, and I believe your car is beautiful also, and the Media Players is need.

The “Merge Actors” tool is really awesome! Is there a way to merge materials of Skeletal Meshes, too?

or [MENTION=8] [/MENTION] or someone else can clarify this to me:
If I do not change my material in execution time, doing this (first part of the video) will benefit my performance? I mean, as I understand, if I don’t change any parameter in my material, it is all pre-compiled, so there is no need to worry about the number of instructions or number of textures used, am I right?

This is so usefull :slight_smile:

Has anyone successfully baked a normal map down from a material to a single texture? I’ve followed the video exactly but my normal map turns out incorrect no matter what. It seems that the red channel mostly seems to be much weaker, since the baked normal wasn’t showed in the works during the video I can’t tell whether I’m the only one with this problem.
I’ll post a solution if I find something.

I found a solution and posted it on my question here: