Vray for Unreal Engine

Awesome news.

Great news!

If they go through, we can finally bypass lightmass baking with that of Vray’s and we can finally see some decent bakes with proper GI distribution in engine.
Looking forward to this.

This is cool!!! So will VRay be an alternative render engine to Lightmass?

…and btw whatever happend with Octane for UE4 ? Did they scrap it in order to do Octane for Unity… hm…

Read the slides–what they’re adding is the ability to render an image within Unreal using Vray, but baking lighting isn’t something they will have implemented and would be a possible future update but no guarantee.

Reading through it again yes perhaps…

Although I don’t really see the point of just rendering using Vray in UE, I mean that can easily be done offline with far better tools, but if they mean to render and compare? Still confusing as how this would be useful really… The lightmass replacement would be the single most beneficial part of such an implementation anything else for me is a question mark.

It’s probably a first step

Aside from rendering, I am excited to see .vrscene import and whether more material properties survive from a given VRay platform; Max, Rhino, Revit, Sketchup, etc.

so it will be useless …

Not really, would be great for the Arch Viz pipeline. If you are already creating a scene in max, maya, rhino etc for stills and animated video output and then have to take that scene into ue4 redo all your shaders and lighting etc. That puts hours or days onto a production. This means that you can create your scene in max import the VRscene into unreal having all the light placements and shaders survive and if the client needs a last minute render you can render it in Vray straight from your ue4 project. I give this a thumbs up

Well I just don´t get it. If I have some scene ready in Max, you can do the render anytime you want. And now you can even play with the RT mode, etc. What makes it different to make it in Unreal? Not to mention, that some scenes in Max are pretty heavy on geometry, so putting it into Unreal is not just the copy/paste thing… Also you always need to prepare the geometry, optimize it, it should be properly UV-ied, etc. etc… So to do some good looking render in UE would be more work like doing 2 more scenes in classic Max/Vray workflow.

Unlikely, given that it’s not something that can be adapted for real-time applications. Vray at least could be used to bake lighting someday but you can’t use PhoenixFD to simulate things in-game. Alternately, there’s ways to render something like that and play it in a particle system in UE4, it just won’t be dynamic.
But–Nvidia has a realtime voxel simulator so there’s an alternative.

You can adapt a way to render it but you can’t simulate it fast enough.

I’d love to be able to use this vray plugin to render out vray passes for Nuke.

Would really up the possibilities of using Unreal as a renderer.

I asked Vlado from Chaosgroup if he would disclose a little more about the direction Vray for UE4 will be going. But for the moment it doesn´t seem he want to disclose more than what is seen on the slides. It´s also a very early stage so I respect that. But as a Vray User since the beginning there is one thing I can say for sure. Everything Chaosgroup starts usually turns into a rock solid, really good product.

The slides also mention a potential baking system to replace lightmass in the future. This would be the most important feature to me. Replacing lightmass with a modern renderer.

This is a long time coming for Unreal, as typically we’ve only seen its application in cinematics for marketing - with this change, it could be used for ingame content as well.

Since Unreal is free, they could also offer a closed beta to V-Ray licensees (initially), and then an open beta to all users of the engine…

I’m looking forward to this :slight_smile:

Two words: Promotional Material.

If you got a game in development, and you want to squeeze out a high-end render for stills, this’ll be it.

That’s just the way I’m thinking anyway…because if you crank up the IQ of a still using the game engine you’re developing your game on, can you basically say the image is using the game engine…

i don’t understand how they will integrate ? someone suggest me if i want to learn unreal for arch viz form beginning or should i wait to see how v-ray will work in unreal engine… well in both cases i think we will have to learn unreal engine .

I saw the demo at Siggraph… Im a MAYA VRAY guy, and Unreal guy. At the moment my pipeline is build and stage everything in Maya, including textures, Vray materials and lights - Render scene until it looks perfect… BAKE all materials based on those lights and materials inside of Maya Vray - bring all that stuff into UNREAL - dont use any lights at all (because they are all prebaked, including shadows and prestine V-Ray Ray Traced GI, bounced lighting and Ambient occlusion. The models look identical inside of UNREAL, BUTthey are now REAL TIME so I can walk around a room or use VR to look around. - so this will cut a hefty portion out of the time it takes to do what I just described because im in a single software for lighting and texture baking (not lightmap) Texture baking (baking GI, and bounce lighting into the texture, including lighting. Reflections are separate and are realtime.

I have doing all of my rendering inside of Unreal - I can now match Vray Maya renders and have a heck of a lot more control in real time, rather than waiting 5-20 minutes for a single frame to finish to look at. I can out put 360 movies in minutes instead of days. Super boost for productivity! Cant wait! Is there a Beta program did I see?

Nice. Still, I see that UE4 already produces high quality results, for archviz especially. Moreover, I learned yesterday about DataSmith which will be used to export 3ds max scenes directly to UE4, including lights from VRay, materials, UVs, etc.

Do you think Vray for UE4 can provide something so new to the engine ?