Recreate Need For Speed Carbon’s Autosculpt in Unreal Engine 4 and Blender using Morph Targets

Hi all,

Made a tutorial recently on recreating Need For Speed Carbon’s Autosculpt in Unreal Engine 4 and Blender using Morph Targets and thought I’d share it here as well.

Here you go, hope you find it useful: Recreate Need For Speed Carbon’s Autosculpt in Unreal Engine 4 and Blender using Morph Targets](Code, games and CGI — [Tutorial] [Intermediate] Recreate Need For Speed...)

Although it’s focused mainly on reproducing this game mechanic, it’s useful also to simply learn about importing Blender’s Shape Keys to Unreal’s Morph Targets.

that’s a good use of morph targets right there :slight_smile: good job!

Thanks! I might do a similar one on character creation. Still debating whether I should do text or video tutorials though.

I think the community would love either one!, since characters and animation is my focus this year…Im excited to see this…thanks to OP as well as I know nothing of morph targets.

You can use modifiers with shapekeys if you use this addon: https://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?396688-Addon-ShapeKey-Helpers
The addon creates a new mesh, and from there makes copies of the shapekeys, applies the modifiers and finally merges these with the newly created mesh. The result is a mesh with the modifiers applied and shape keys intact.

The only issue with it is that if you run it a bunch of times the memory usage of Blender can get high because the memory of the temporary meshes is not cleared after they are deleted for some reason. You can avoid this by using the addon in a script where you clear orphan data:

bpy.ops.object.shape_key_preserver()
bpy.context.area.type = 'OUTLINER'
bpy.context.space_data.display_mode = 'ORPHAN_DATA'
bpy.ops.outliner.orphans_purge()

Note that clearing the orphan data will automatically save the file.

Wow, I hadn’t even considered such a practical use. Inspirational!

Thanks, would love to use it somewhere

Ah sweet! Didn’t know about it. That should simplify things quite a bit. I’ll give a try. Thanks a lot!

Thank you! Glad you like it.