User Tag List

Thread: [FREE] Full Game Jam game available for the community!

Cool [FREE] Full Game Jam game available for the community!

Verto Machina - a completely FREE game project for the Unreal Engine community!

[NEW] Project Overview:

This game was made in 3 weeks for a Game Jam.

Features:
    -4 levels to explore
    -Interesting switching mechanic
    -Interactive door
    -Moving platforms
    -Jump pads
    -Lasers
    -Mirrors
    -Switches
    -And more!

Systems included:
    -Main Menu and Pause menu systems
    -Save and Load system
    -Checkpoint system
    -Level linking system
    -Adaptive music!
    -All models and music included!

Play the game HERE - https://coquigames.itch.io/verto-machina

DOWNLOAD FULL PROJECT HERE (UE 4.15) - https://www.mediafire.com/?hn9871is7zdwaoz

EDIT: I just updated the file to not require the Instance Tool Plugin. If you are having trouble opening the project, download the updated version on the new link above!

License / permissions:

You may use the project as a learning resource and use any of the code included for any purpose. Credit is not required, but appreciated

Music License: CC BY-NC 3.0

You can use the music for personal project only! - no commercial projects please. If you use the music, please credit the author as follows:

Frank Liu
    frankliumusic.com

Hope you enjoy the game and learn from it!

Thanks!

Devlog Series - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLziQlhUd357gkR5WN-ZcZXJkxS05M579I

Quote Originally Posted by CoquiGames View Post
    I'm still in the prototype stage coming up with more mechanics, so if anyone likes where I'm going with this, feel free to give me your feedback or suggestions for interesting mechanics. If there is something you'd like to see in the final game, I may consider it
    2c: Player has to perform gameplay actions into a mirror.
    Then the twin mirror self actually performs the gameplay.
    For added difficultly player might have to play in reverse.
    Or mess with time, events happen faster / slower in mirror.

Quote Originally Posted by franktech View Post
    2c: Player has to perform gameplay actions into a mirror.
    Then the twin mirror self actually performs the gameplay.
    For added difficultly player might have to play in reverse.
    Or mess with time, events happen faster / slower in mirror.
    Hmm, interesting suggestion! I like the idea of actions being replicated..will see if I can come up with something to this extent.

Thanks!

OOOhh I like this so far, can't wait to play it ^^.

Also, what about some trap blocks or liquid where if you shoot a bullet at it or it gets mirrored towards it, it would get destroyed and would also kill player if he touches it? ^^
    (Checkpoints could also be nice.)

What about Co-op mode? With 2-4 players which would get the difficulty increased depending on the amount of players? ^^ (It's definetely something I'd like to play with my brothers.)

Samaritan
    Hi looking good so far, great value to the community.

I have a question about your project, regarding "fully functional level linking system"
    Will the linking system include a lock system, like a level 1 open , level 2 locked until level 1 completed? Just a thought.

Thank you!
    Portfolio Webpage
    http://fcsupreme.wix.com/gamedesign

LinkedIn: uk.linkedin.com/pub/adam-facey/77/a01/61/

New updates!

Devlog 5:

-New aesthetics similar to Mirror's Edge / Superhot
    -Pickable blocks added - these can be carried anywhere and can interact with switches
    -Added saving system - you can now click "Load Game" from the main menu and continue where you left off!

Devlog 6:

-New mechanic added: The Player can switch itself with another object! This functions almost like a mini time reversal mechanic where the player has 10 seconds before he is teleported back to the original location
    -Added a door with two modes: proximity or linked to a switch
    -Started the first level of the game
    -Added a Main Menu with custom music from a composer!

Quote Originally Posted by Avarthar View Post
    OOOhh I like this so far, can't wait to play it ^^.

Also, what about some trap blocks or liquid where if you shoot a bullet at it or it gets mirrored towards it, it would get destroyed and would also kill player if he touches it? ^^
    (Checkpoints could also be nice.)

What about Co-op mode? With 2-4 players which would get the difficulty increased depending on the amount of players? ^^ (It's definetely something I'd like to play with my brothers.)
    Hi Avarthar,

I like the idea of more traps . A Co-Op mode will probably have to wait until after the Jam since I've never done it before and I only have 2 weeks to make the actual game :P. Btw, I already have a checkpoint system implemented - check out my last devlog!

Quote Originally Posted by AdamF View Post
    Hi looking good so far, great value to the community.

I have a question about your project, regarding "fully functional level linking system"
    Will the linking system include a lock system, like a level 1 open , level 2 locked until level 1 completed? Just a thought.

Thank you!
    Hi Adam,

What I have so far is managing the order of the levels via a data table - this makes it super easy to re-order the levels, or add a new level in between without any hardcoding or using arrays. But I think you mean blocking certain areas of a level until another puzzle is completed? Hmm, you could easily do it with a door (make it active only after a certain puzzle is completed). Though is not built-in yet into the mechanics. That should be easy to add - maybe I'll have a level where you have to do just that!

Thanks for the suggestion!

Samaritan
    What I have so far is managing the order of the levels via a data table - this makes it super easy to re-order the levels, or add a new level in between without any hardcoding or using arrays. But I think you mean blocking certain areas of a level until another puzzle is completed? Hmm, you could easily do it with a door (make it active only after a certain puzzle is completed).
    Hi its not exactly what I meant, although that is a very good idea which should be implemented if you can.

I meant in the options menu when you click levels , you will be displayed with the levels available, and have the ones completed only accessible and the ones not yet attempted locked. Again just an idea!
    Portfolio Webpage

Latest update!

-Added a save / load system that keeps track of all the levels completed and allows you to select your levels from a list
    -Added 2 new hazard mechanics
    -Added tutorial messages to give the Player hints
    -Worked on level 1 (almost done) and started level 2

Hi its not exactly what I meant, although that is a very good idea which should be implemented if you can.

I meant in the options menu when you click levels , you will be displayed with the levels available, and have the ones completed only accessible and the ones not yet attempted locked. Again just an idea!

Hi Adam,

I liked your idea so I included it in the game! Check out the last vid to see how it works

Samaritan
    That looks sweet man, I love it.
    Cant wait to not only play the game but to mess around in engine.
    I cant believe it only took you an hour to do. Well done awesome job!
    Portfolio Webpage

Update 8:

Added:

-Interactive music - a 3 layer track randomly fades out 1 random track every 20 seconds allowing for a random (yet cohesive) track that is never the exact same!
    -Progress on level 2
    -New laser mechanic added!

Can't wait to get my hands on this. You're doing a great job. This is going to teach me a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by A-I View Post
    Can't wait to get my hands on this. You're doing a great job. This is going to teach me a lot.
    Thanks A-I!

One more week to go so stay tuned! I got a few more levels and mechanics to showcase

Samaritan
    Looking really good dude, keep it up!
    Portfolio Webpage

Hi
    Will you be releasing the project files sometime this week?

Quote Originally Posted by reverts View Post
    Hi
    Will you be releasing the project files sometime this week?
    Hi @reverts,

I am waiting to hear from the composer how he wants me to share his music (made specifically for the Jam). Once that's settled, I'll release the project. I'm hoping to do this in the next couple of days. Stay tuned!

Yeah!! Finally. I've been looking forward to checking this project out. Thanks a bunch for this @CoquiGames.

Samaritan
    @CoquiGames Awesome work with this, Im learning so much, but I have a question regarding the data table, as Im trying to recreate your steps, as its not in the project, can you walk me through how its laid out so I can incorporate my own, and add it to the DT_Levels?
    Thanks
    Portfolio Webpage

Quote Originally Posted by CirQlar View Post
    Yeah!! Finally. I've been looking forward to checking this project out. Thanks a bunch for this @CoquiGames.
    You're welcome @CirQlar! Btw, thank you so much for your comments on Itch.io. Getting people to play and give feedback on your game is one of the most valuable things we can get - so really appreciate you took the time to let me know what you thought .

@CoquiGames Awesome work with this, Im learning so much, but I have a question regarding the data table, as Im trying to recreate your steps, as its not in the project, can you walk me through how its laid out so I can incorporate my own, and add it to the DT_Levels?
    Thanks
    Hey Adam,

I've been meaning to make a video going over the project and how the different Blueprints work,including creating a simple level and setting everything up. I've been very busy this week but hopefully I get some time soon .

In the meantime, I can explain how the DT table works.

Basically, you want to create a new row with the row key as the level name, then fill out the following:

-Display Name -> This is the name that will appear on the stage clear widget -> This can be anything you want
    -Next Level -> The level name (file name) that will be loaded automatically when the stage clear event is called
    -Level Music -> The Cue to play when the level starts

Go to the Player Character BP and look at Stage Clear Event to see how Im using the data table.

The event looks up the data table row with the Current Level Name Node and once it finds it, it extracts the next level name and uses it on the Open Level node after a certain delay.

To add a new level, simply create a new level (or clone the LevelTemplate I provide) and save it. Then open the Data table and add a new row with the level name as the key. Then fill out the rest of the details and drag a GoalBP to your level.

You'll know its working when you start the level and the music you selected on the DT starts playing automatically

Let me know if you still have any questions - hopefully this gets you on the right track

Hi everyone

Just a quick update on whats going on with me lately!

The Verto Machina dev overview is coming in a few weeks as soon as I get my new computer - UE4 keeps crashing my machine and I cant even record the video right now :/

In the meantime, check out my upcoming project here:

Sorry for the delay and thank you for your patience!

Hi everyone,

Sorry for the delay! As promised, here is the Developer Overview for the project!!!

In the video I go over the following areas:

-Project Overview
    -Setting up objects to be swapped / Main mechanic explained (Switchable Object Type)
    -Level Linking Overview
    -Blueprint Usage
    -Jump Pad
    -Moving Platform
    -Doors
    -Switches
    -Laser
    -Blutility
    -Blueprint Components overview
    -Modifying mechanics (swapping anything / increasing the grab distance, air dash)
    -Creating a quick level

Let me know if you have any questions or if there is something else you want to know about.

Thanks!
    @Avarthar, @AdamF, @CirQlar, @reverts