completely new to c++..

Hi…
I was using Unity with C#, but never used C++ before… can i start with Official GamePlay UDK programming tutorial or do i need to learn C++ in depth before?

Thanks!

it really helps to know actual c++ but if you just want to jump in and try to learn by doing, you should first look up the difference between a header and cpp file vs just a cs file.

And then look up what a pointers and references are.

You wanna put something like UPROPERTY(EditAnywhere, BlueprintReadWrite) on top of each of your variables until you know what that means and UFUNCTION(BlueprintCallable, Category = “Category Name”) on top of your functions that you want to call in blueprints.

unity version vs unreal version
int int32
List<> TArray<T>
Dictionary<T, U> TMap<T, U>
GameObject Actor
ScriptableObject DataAsset
Start() BeginPlay()
some tutorials you see might declare a bool as uint32 variableName : 1; instead of just bool

That’s basically all i learned about c++ in unreal before i started diving in and converting stuff i did in unity to unreal, occasionally looking something up, and now i’m pretty comfortable doing anything i could have done in c#

gl hf

oh yeah, and this is h file i put in my cpp files whenever i want a print something to console, makes it easier than typing it all the time

#define DEBUG_INFO FString(FUNCTION) + " Line: " + FString::FromInt(LINE) + " – "
#define LOG(message) UE_LOG(LogClass, Warning, TEXT("%s"), *FString(DEBUG_INFO + message)); GEngine->AddOnScreenDebugMessage(-1, 5.f, FColor::Green, FString(DEBUG_INFO + message));
#define LOG_WARNING(message) UE_LOG(LogClass, Warning, TEXT("%s"), *FString(DEBUG_INFO + message)); GEngine->AddOnScreenDebugMessage(-1, 5.f, FColor::Yellow, FString(DEBUG_INFO + message));
#define LOG_ERROR(message) UE_LOG(LogClass, Error, TEXT("%s"), *FString(DEBUG_INFO + message)); GEngine->AddOnScreenDebugMessage(-1, 5.f, FColor::Red, FString(DEBUG_INFO + message));

so i can just say LOG_ERROR(“Error Message”); to print the message on the viewpoints top left corner and in the console

Thanks for the reply Ispheria

Is good to know someone using UDK that used Unity before… I have used Unity for 8 years, but UDK caught me with its interface.
How long have you been using UDK since you left Unity?..
I’ll check for the basic tutorials

FYI - UDK refers to the older version priuor to UE4

There is also some documentation on that transition from Unity to UE4, which may give some more insight on what to expect.

https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest/INT/GettingStarted/FromUnity

That ‘From Unity’ series should have a page dedicated to explain the basics about References, Pointers, Instanced Objects, Static Classes and Static Functions, C++ Events, and how the UPROPERTY() macro affects them;

Because coming from Unity the developer usually has no experience with this stuff and is bound to suffer if not studying C++ before using Unreal.