Party like it's 1981 - CGA palette post-process template

I created a template / example project showing how to do post-processing to limit a UE4 game to CGA palette 0 or palette 1 ahead of #cgajam](CGA JAM - itch.io), which just started today.

You can download the template from itch.io and there’s a writeup on how it works and suggestions for further modifications on my blog.

Note: The map used in the .gif above is from the “Hand Painted Environment” marketplace pack by Evgeniya Yaremko, and is not included in the template.

Cheers,
Michael Noland

I will certainly use it, thank you very much.

How did you make the 25%, 50% and 75% dithered LUTs? With Photoshop? I can’t find a way to do that with GIMP.

Yeah I used Photoshop. I loaded the stock LUT from Color Grading and Filmic Tonemapper | Unreal Engine Documentation and did Image…Mode…Indexed Color, picking Forced…Custom to set the four colors and adjusting the dither settings for each save.

Cheers,
Michael Noland

I see, with GIMP you can’t adjust the dithering settings as much. Still it looks similar to the LUT with 50% so I think is good enough.

Thanks.

Any idea of how to emulate CGA 16 color mode?

Use the LUT approach mentioned in the article (creating one with the 16 colors) and either don’t use the thresholding or do it on a per-component basis.

Cheers,
Michael Noland

Thanks! I will check.

This looks awesome!

Now only if it would run on my XT! :slight_smile: