UE4 blueprints for non math people

I’ve been using UE4 for 2 years now and I still don’t understand blueprints, I have a math learning disability and it’s really hard for me to wrap my head around blueprints, Is there any easy way to learn it? Is there anyone who has enough free time who could tutor me through like skype or screen sharing or something?

I would say Blueprints was developed FOR people who dont do math - like me. Otherwise you’d be looking at code, instead of a flow chart. I wouldnt think of Blueprints as needing math skills, it is more of a 'When this happens - do this." I would get yourself familiar with the terminology first. Open up the blueprint window, and every word you see that you cant define, google it and read what is is and what it does. ie: Function, Variable, etc. A variable is simply a container that you fill with something. It could be orange juice, or coffee, or it can change from orange juice to coffee… when someone presses the C key on their keyboard. Once you understand the larger concepts of programming (not math) then you can start to understand how things connect with inputs and outputs. ie: If I am outside of my house, my ‘state’ is outside. When I walk into my house my state changes from outside to INSIDE. If someone calls me and asked me what my state is, I would say INSIDE. Good luck! And dont give up!

I want to echo what Creative mentioned - Blueprint is simply a visual way to program with a lot of failsafes (no need to remember the sintax for example). I would recommend you learn about the basics of programming first (concepts like variables, loops, IF statements, etc) and then Blueprint will make a lot more sense :slight_smile:

I’ve never tried it, but I heard Scratch is an excellent way to learn programming - https://scratch.mit.edu/.

Hope this helps!

@franktech
You should be a science fiction novelist sir, I didn’t understand half of what you said, can you put it into something a zombie or high school senior can understand, I have a graphic design degree and everything you just said went way over my head, I want to do like interactive arch viz stuff, I have a graphic design degree and can’t use Max or Modo to save my life, I’ve gotten good at making houses and structures out of supergrid and sometimes bsp, but once I get the house built I get stuck for some reason, btw im soups excited for Geo 2.0 coming in 4.17 :smiley:

The only way that I got to understand some programming was by writing batch code, I wrote a rpg sci fi game that uses thousands of array lists to manage all the dialog of the party members switching and all the game conditions and values of items, ect. and it worked in batch code… But its more tricky doing the same thing in Unreal Engine dealing with a real 3d world there’s more maths involved with 3d worlds. Because of vectors, and other things to be calculated. In batch code there’s no 3d world so you only have to use environment labels to define things and store things in. And it was limited because it only shows pictures and displays text and plays sound files. But it helped me debug the dialog and change any of the storylines before putting them into a 3d engine like Unreal Engine which hard codes (welds) everything that it touches which means, trying to change it later on would be difficult and time consuming to undo it when its all been hard coded by blue prints, so I make all the changes to the game in text form before putting it in the game engine.

I spent a month banging my head against a wall trying to get my first person character to open a door with a key press, finally gave up out of frustration and bought and asset from the marketplace :frowning: I can spend an entire week watching a youtube video on how to pick up an object with a keypress and still not get anywhere