VR pick up with object oriented in hand

I am trying to pick up an American football with orientation ( VR hands on laces) to improve the physics and rotation when ball is thrown. Is there a tutorial that will help me snap the object (football) in hand when I pick it up? I am using epics VR template and can pick up the ball, but I need it to snap into the correct orientation.

Should I add a socket to the football mesh? Anyone, even if you don’t know how to do it, can you point me in the right direction? Tutorial, youtube, anything?

Hi,

Starting from the Epic VR Template (With the hands) I am also trying to snap objects into the hands (or replace them with others objects…). Like guns and stuff. Can’t figure out how to do that. I keep seeing the same links to one or two tutorials online but nothing really up to date… Maybe i’m doing something wrong, I did not think it would be that complicated. I may be missing something.

So any help will be apreciated :slight_smile:

Also I think you need a socket both on the hand and the ball in order to orient it. I think I read something like that somewhere… Sorry :confused:

This is actually a really hard problem to solve. I’ve been working on a solution myself, but have put it off for a bit. The easiest solution is to snap a socket on the object to the hand socket. This can work in some cases (such as picking up a gun and holding it by the handle), but not in other cases.

For my prototype, I had created a system where you could grab and hold onto objects via a psychic telekinesis ability. The way it works is that you point your hand at an object and try to grab it. The “grab point” is going to be a position on the object surface, line traced from your hand to the object (call it the surface position). Then, the challenge is to move the surface position to the hand position. The key thing to keep in mind is that you also may want to be able to grab an object just to rotate it. So, how do you choose between translating and objects surface position and rotating and objects surface position? In my case, I had a wine barrel which I was trying to draw to my hand. So, if we went with a naive scheme of trying to rotate the object so that its surface position was as close as it could get to the hand position, and then we use translation as a secondary backup, we could sort of get this to work. However, how does rotation work if the wine barrel is resting on a surface and we’re trying to apply pitch or roll instead of yaw? The rotation should be blocked because of the geometry of the wine barrel, right? So, how do we choose an axis of rotation, given an arbitrary surface point and desired destination position?

Even more challenging is deciding what happens when we add two hands into the mix. If both of my hands are required to grab and lift a heavy wine barrel, how do we best match the hand positions to two surface grab positions? What happens if we release one hands grip? What happens if we initially have one hand gripping the object and then add a second hand to grip the object? What happens if we grab the object by its grab position for a brief moment but we give it some rotational inertia? Do we apply any rotational drag to simulate surface friction or air resistance?

I’ll probably reply to this in a few months with more answers, but right now I have more questions.

Hello, over a year later and there is no more info out there than when you were first looking! Have you found out how to wrangle this problem? I just want to align a musical instrument for VR pick up.
happy holidays!

@NextWorldVR my tutorial here might help you: Perfect VR weapons grabbing tutorial - Unreal Engine 4 - YouTube

Trying to hold a gun with two hands here. Been trying for over a week. No luck…