Testing SLICE and CUT meshes and skeletal meshes

Slice Marketplace page

Play the Demo

Documentation

Here the issue on skeletal idle animation…head static mesh is initially attached to socket head, but not procedural mesh. Need to fix.
In the video below you can see the first cut with static skeletal mesh, then I set the Idle animation and do a second cut but head is never attached to socket.

Any ideas how to make also procedural mesh be attached to head socket?

Choose the angle of the Slice by rotating the Cut plane.
Red face is the one that slices the new cut piece, while the green face is the one where the original mesh will stay.

Looking neat mate!

Planing on sharing?

As soon as I fix the animation cut, I’ll share the logics behind (100% blueprint). :slight_smile:

Consider that to cut a skeleton body mesh you need to previously import the bone mesh you want to be cut as a static mesh obj.(I’ve done only for the the head).
It is not difficult to separate a single bone mesh from a skeletal mesh body and save it as a single obj (20 min tutorial with blender, which is also free download).
The rest of the process is all via blueprint.

GOAL:
A more realistic scene is to adapt a sword or katana blade to the rotation of the cut plane and adjust the animation of the player based on the sword rotation…which is somenthing I have not consider and I’m looking forward to.
Precise cut blade control should be cool especially in a slow motion combat scene.
Pausing the animation during the cut and going in progressive slow motion after the cut with a body ragdoll reaction should complete the realism.

Hope to reach the end of all this and share the bprints in the next days.

Not sure the actual process is doable in practice. I mean, you’ll probably have to mask it using some neat graphism, but slowly cutting the mesh… An object has a lot of tention between its parts, when you cut it, the tension disappearing is what causes the “ripple” effect. In UE4, they are just meshes, so even if you cut it, unless you apply some force which actually causes the mesh to break up slowly, you’ll only see the sword going in, like if it was overlapping, but you wont get a true slow-mo cutting effect.

Does this make sense?

Yes fully agree …but I must test it before because I need to see with my eyes what happens when a blade collides with the head mesh in slow motion.
I have already seen the collision slow motion distortion effect during destructions and the result was that slowmotion during the missile hit on a group of mesh cubes created a huge increase of explosion (which I liked and used as a power missile…going in slow motion right after the hit for a 0.1 sec and then back to time delay = 1. See my reverse destruction video on the red cube Reverse Destruction v3 - YouTube )

CUT SLICES FIXED ON SKELETAL MESHES ANIMATION! Now is possible to cut head (or any other mesh bone) during an animation.
I have improved the cut plane control: keeping the button pressed for more than 1 sec makes the plane rotate, less than 1 sec performs the cut…better because only 1 button controls the cut plane.

See also that Cut plane is slicing in slow motion too. Will see if a katana blade will be able to cut like the cut plane I use here…if not the blade will just overlap meshes (no collision) and will follow the cut plane coords…or something similar.

Here the video…finally a multiple cut on the moving skeletal mesh !!! :smiley:

1 Like

totally right. I tested.
the slice piece in slowmotion skips far away! I’ve tried changing the mass but nothing.
Well, something to consider during a slowmotion.
Perhaps using some extra opponent forces could fix.

@
Firstly, amazing!

Secondly, I’m trying to figure out why the pieces react so differently during slow motion, I’m wondering it could have something to do with physics iterations not adjusting to stay synced with the time dilation?

Thanks, colliding in slowmotion is crazy. Pieces skip away so fast.
The only workaround I found for the moment is to change world location of the cut piece when generated in order to locate it out of any collision area…ie 10 cm distant from the cut in the direction normal to the cut plane…then add a radial force on it.

The fact is that any kind of collision in slow motion is out of control.

@

I use slomo time dilation in my project, collision works normal. But I have no dynamic cutting samples, so this must be an issue with PMC.

Also, I suggest looking into “Per Actor Time dilatation” perhaps the newly spawned pieces somehow are not included in time dilation, and need to be explicitly added to slomo on creation.

Hi , I like what you’re doing. I’ve watched some of your other videos like the Fractal Battle Test, Rag Doll Testing and Reverse Time Freeze. You wouldn’t happen to be developing a Action RPG/FPS Hybrid in which the main Protagonists dispatches Giants Monsters and Monster Hordes with Swords & Gunplay and Time-Space Manipulation? LOL

Keep up the Awesome work!

Thanks TechLord! You put a lot of ingridients in your project there :slight_smile: Hope is a success.
I keep focused on these cuts & slices, then back to complete the fractal project.
By the way I’ve seen your videos too…love the Golem concept! :slight_smile:

LIKE ROSE PETALS
Slicing in slowmotion has been improved. Slices don’t skip away anymore and a good slowmotion animation is visible.
A katana blade animation between these slices will not be easy but will for sure be my next video!

That is really cool. Rose Pedals…Rose, Slicing to sculpt a Rose…I’m thinking Ice Sculpting with proc mesh slicing!

Thank you very much. You can read more about GOLEMCraft here. A new version is in the works and I have big plans for it in our game product for Creatures, Character Armor, Weapons, and Props. Prior to Proc Mesh Slicing, I planned to implement dynamic dismemberment/destruction by reversing the collage construction rapidly with impulse physics. Now, I think I’m going to incorporate both techniques.

What is your goal with the Fractal Project? I assume you’re using Fractals to Procedurally generate the environment. I’m a huge fan of Proc Gen / Semi-Proc, and I use various proc generators in my game dev. I personally thinks its more powerful way to build a game, leveraging the content creation power of the engine. The smaller/granular the proc generators, the better macro results to avoid repetitive design. My latest kick, is proc gen interiors and furniture props.

How did you manage to fix your problem? :slight_smile:

Here a screnshot of the bprint part…is a workaround but works very good!
9eb0186626ee34b4361a6d0ac06a6864e311f94d.jpeg

Forgot to mention that every slice receives a radial impulse strength = 0 (and radius=300 but not relevant here).
Basically if we cut and then don’t move the player anymore, after 100 secs any slice that is still inside the capsule component volume will skip away. I can increase from 100 to 1000 to avoid risks if needed.

Looks amazing!

The radial force still looks like it’s a bit much, perhaps it could be scaled by a value which equates to the time dilation?