Heightfield GI broken?

Can someone confirm whether heightfield GI is working or not in 4.15 and 4.16? I tried everything but it doesn’t seem to generate the heightfield texture and the visualize option for it is gone too.

Did a test with an older version, same settings and it’s working. So for some reason heightfield GI has been deactivated in current versions.

well that’s something!
last I tried to enable DFGI (in 4.14 or 4.15, can’t remember) it just made unreal crash :smiley:

It still be the same with the 4.17-> Crash

Just tried it with 4.19 and it’s still broken.

@DanielW: Can you shed some light on this issue? Why it isn’t working and if it will be fixed in the future?

Can confirm this is an issue. My project has landscape GI on along with distance fields and it’s still not working. What?!

Can confirm same issue in 4.18.3. Please support this, I really want it for my current project :slight_smile:

It’s usually not a good idea to make a project around a half-implemented/experimental feature…

You don’t always have a choice. The foliage tools added in 4.8 (along with heightfield GI) have been considered experimental for the better part of 3 years now. “Experimental” is sometimes just a fact of life with this engine, and if you need a feature you need to just go for it anyway.

Gravity is still a theory, but we don’t all expect to float off into space anytime soon! Just because a feature is listed as “Experimental” doesn’t mean it will be ignored completely.

Exactly right!

@Epic: Any update on this issue?

@DanielW Any updates on this? We just want the 4.8 code with the same performance as 4.8

Think about it, why deprecate a feature that looks so good?

Much like LPV, they probably just don’t have the resources to work on it.

I’d like to know what the issue is though so it could be fixed by the community.