Training Livestream - Getting Started with World Composition - May 16th - Live from Epic HQ

WHAT

World Composition is a fantastic tool for handling multiple landscapes, managing massive levels or working on a team of level designers. By popular demand, is back after his landscape livestream to explain how to set up and use your own world browser! He’ll also be sharing his tips and tricks, as well as answering questions live, so be sure to tune in!

WHEN
Tuesday, May 16 @ 2:00PM ET Countdown]

WHERE
Twitch
Facebook
Youtube

WHO

• @DesignHurley]()

Feel free to ask any questions on the topic in the thread below, and remember, while we try to give attention to all inquiries, it’s not always possible to answer’s questions as they come up. This is especially true for off-topic requests, as it’s rather likely that we don’t have the appropriate person around to answer. Thanks for understanding!

I keep wishing the UI and functionality for this would get an overhaul. Hoping there are some “Epic” tricks for reimporting/exporting specific tiles.

I’m preying this will cover biomes too, ill be asking the question for sure as no one seems to be able to help in the forums

Woo! Pretty excited for this one! I tried to make an island once. Wasn’t a fun time… Thanks!

Legends! Just what i needed :slight_smile:

Hell Yes! It comes out eventually! Have been waiting for it for years. Good job!

Here is my question:
How to implement World Composition correctly in a local/LAN/steam multiplayer game? What should we do to optimize the memory since different players may stand on different pieces of landscape?

Apologize for my poor English.
Thanks. Keeping going! UE 4 the best!

Super Excited!!! I learned so much during the landscape tutorial, and every time I heard that the question was a world comp problem I was hoping this would come next. I just starting working on a world comp map for the first time. Definitely going to make this one for the live session!! My pre-stream question would be what exactly goes into the persistent level? This may be a silly thing but it took me a bit to figure out what to do with my skysphere when approaching the documentation.

Very cool! I’m sure it will be super useful.

Question: Are you quys at epic developing any internal game using world composition?

Is there a way to use map tile multiple times in different spots? ie to have tiles like flat, incline, decline etc and arrange it to massive map without taking too much hdd space.

This is a much needed tutorial. Thanks for taking the time to do this!

question :

for a flight sim type game where the player is almost always at high altitude with a high range distance view,
how to keep the landscape always visible and making loading/unloading terrain portions not noticeable visually?

Thanks for this! Hope you guys can address this question on the live stream please:

What is the best practice for world composition in terms of seperating game assets in the persistent level and sub-levels(What should we seperate from persistent level/sub-level. I notice in many games you can see very far out in the game world , but I imagine that certain things like enemies and other objects are only loaded and unloaded as you enter into different areas or “sub-levels”. Will you guys be going over this I heard from one of your livestreams you guys mentioned separting audio into one sub-level as well… information like that would really help us!

We love you guys! Go EPIC!

FINALY , i have been looking into this for a long time and can’t figuere it out,
i have one question at this given moment, how do you fit this in with the landscape ?

Hi guys, thank you for this!
A doubt of my is: There is a way of creating a really vast low-poly landscape in UE4 ?

Thanks for this guys I am looking forward to it. Your training streams really help make the features of Unreal Engine more accessible
[Question] I have noticed in some projects the levels are broken into different layers such as persistent, sound, lighting etc. Please can you explain the benefits of doing this and it’s workflow. Does it have any benefits for a solo developer or is it more useful for teams with sharing of workload

Thanks
Clarity

Awesome!!! Looking forward to it <3

OH GREAT i hope use World machine too

I have been waiting for this one for so long…

[QUESTION] How to handle world composition with dedicated server and clients?

This is going to be great. I can’t wait :smiley: