Unreal 4 VR Games Causing BSOD Nvidia nvlddmkm.sys Responsible

I’m having an issue that nearly every Unreal 4 VR game I have tried result in a BSOD and using Who Crashed identifies the Nvidia Drivers as the fault stating: **This indicates that an exception happened while executing a routine that transitions from non-privileged code to privileged code.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.

Full info:

On Thu 11/05/2017 11:42:10 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\051117-14703-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: nvlddmkm.sys (nvlddmkm+0xC7700)
Bugcheck code: 0x3B (0xC0000005, 0xFFFFF800C62C7700, 0xFFFFDF00FF270B80, 0x0)
Error: SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION
file path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository
v_dispi.inf_amd64_a2b0acab06663645
vlddmkm.sys
product: NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 382.05
company: NVIDIA Corporation
description: NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 382.05
Bug check description: This indicates that an exception happened while executing a routine that transitions from non-privileged code to privileged code.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: nvlddmkm.sys (NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 382.05 , NVIDIA Corporation).
Google query: NVIDIA Corporation SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION

Now originally it happened with Roborecall from Oculus, another Unreal 4 game and I discovered that if I selected the main exe and ran it as admin then it would run fine, however this does not work with other Unreal 4 VR games, Pavolov demo: BSOD, another VR demo game using Unreal 4: BSOD.

The real problem is that after the BSOD, the Oculus Home gives me a warning telling to set up my Rift- so its causing issues in Oculus Home.

I installed driver Nvidia drivers 382.05 today with a clean fresh install removing the old drivers using DDU and it still BSODs with the Nvidia driver error, this also happened in the three previous versions of the drivers to- I have no idea if it appeared in a driver update or its something else as I have been through several newer drivers with no solution.

The issue is pointing to Nvidia drivers and that a routine that transitions from non-privileged code to privileged code - I have tried taking ownership of the nvlddmkm.sys

I’m not sure what to do now. I have attempted to run as admin any Unreal 4 VR game and still BSODs, Roborecall did until I ran as admin but this doesn’t seem to be working for all Unreal 4 games.

Is anyone else experiencing this issue or does someone have a solution? I’m using Windows 10, fresh Nvidia drivers, fresh SteamVR install, but Unreal 4 games continue to freeze and BSOD the PC- I have not experienced this with any other game outside of an Unreal 4 one.

What’s your hardware stats?

Hi,
I have Nvidia GTX 680M. (Windows7x64 on an MSI gaming laptop GT70 0NE) I found the following worked for me:
Lots of crashing! Ireverted my Geforce drivers from the latest vesion 382.53 to the much older 368.81 Worked.
But then I discovered this was working very slow in Blender and slower than the new one (though reliably) in UE4
I found the answer in a couple more steps and everything is sweet ! I used the Nvidia Control Panel:
set:

• Manage 3D settings > Global Settings > Power management mode = Prefer maximum performance and

• Manage 3D settings > Program Settings > UE4 to use “High-performance NVIDIA processor”

I also have kept a mod in the Registry, that did not work alone and I doubt it makes a difference, but here it is:

• First navigate the key path HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDrivers , Right click on GraphicsDrivers and go to new> DWORD (32 bit) value

• You will see a new key appear make sure to name it “TdrDelay”, Right click it and select “modify”, Under Value data enter 10 (decimal)

You will see plenty of reports by Nvidia GTX users similar to yours. I am truly surprised how a game engine, by nature dependant on good graphics card can display such problems. On my end I used the editor, I wasn’t running a packaged game, I wonder if it’s the same on the gamers’ end? Even more surprised that unlike the plenty error complaints, there is little record of cures. I tried several proposed fixes. Unfortunately due to haste and frustration, I have not kept a good record. I remember VAQUELY that among things are tried are a few switches for the engine regarding opengl, dx12 (both of which were not supported for my gpu), turning of the content browser thumbnails and somekind of graphics card latency value editing the Registry. None worked.
Here is the most extensive reporting of problems and solutions, that I found helpful - I tried most suggested solutions before switching to an older driver.

As I said everything is now so, soooo sweet!