FX and UI Functions

Hi everyone,

This is a collection of powerful material functions, which can be used to create complex and highly adjustable materials for visual effects and user interfaces. It contains 45 material functions, all of which are completely based on mathematical operations, without the use of any textures.

Also check out the video Luos has made, where he uses this package to create a nice mesh based projectile: [UE4] Procedural (Math Based) Visual FX Package - YouTube

Contains:

10 utility functions
7 functions to transform UV coordinates
14 functions to create different shapes (3x polygon, 2x rays, 2x star, astroid, 2x spiral, 2x flower, heart, cannabis)
7 noise functions (different complexity and type)
3 utility noise functions (can be used with many different noises to create new patterns)
4 functions to create flares (based on different noise types)

A demonstration map shows what each material function does and how changing the parameters affects the result. For this purpose the project includes 85 master materials and 123 material instances.
The materials and material functions are commented and include descriptions for nodes and input and output pins.
Some additional information regarding the functions (especially on noise) can be found in the map as well. So this project can also act as a learning resource.

Advantages of procedurally generated shapes include:

1. Little disk space required, reducing download time of your project.
  2. Almost no space in memory required.
  3. Effects look sharp and clean, no matter how close you get or how big you scale them.
  4. Parameters can be adjusted at runtime and animated frame-by-frame.
  5. A huge number of variations can easily be generated.

A few screenshots:

Let me be the first to vouch for this.

Great material functions, great results, nothing more expensive (instruction wise) then it should be, versatile, and handy.
Great for stylized vfx, nice material effects, and a lot more.
I’ll be using this loads.

Interesting and very useful.

Found this through Luos just now, I will definitely be keeping my eye on this :slight_smile: Great work.

Totally a grab for me. Thanks Luos for letting us know about it! :slight_smile:

I already want this!

Really amazing, waiting for this!!

Plus author mentioned “mobile”…
So, how actually expensive it is?

I’ll try to clarify my point here:
Ryan told that UE4 noise is expensive (like, You should avoid it if possible).

Thanks for all the nice comments. It’s really cool to see so many people interested in these functions. And huge thanks again to Luos for his feedback and support. :slight_smile:

Well, to list a few numbers - These are the “Info Base pass shader without light map” instructions for an emissive unlit material:

• Polygon_01: 70
  • Star_01: 80
  • Noise_02: 60
  • Flare_01: 76

Noise_02 is the simplest 2D value noise function and it’s used in the Flare_01 function, which you can see in all 6 examples in the first screenshot.

In comparison, the engine default noise node options with 1 level, without turbulence:

• Simplex - texture based: 119
  • Gradient - texture based: 121
  • Fast Gradient - 3D texture (doesn’t work on mobile): 59
  • Gradient - Computational: 124
  • Value - Computational: 87
  • Voronoi: 198

Don’t take these numbers too literal though. Instruction count is more or less just an estimate of the true performance impact. The three texture based noise types from the engine node have obviously an additional texture lookup. When choosing multiple layers for noise, the instruction count doesn’t show increased numbers of the iterations. Different instructions have different cost. These are pixel shader instructions, so performance impact depends on how many pixels the material covers on your screen, etc.

Simply put, the performance cost of these functions is pretty low, unless you go overboard with noise with a high number of levels. I hope that answers your question.

If you are really worried about the performance cost of noise, you can always just bake it out and use a noise texture instead of calculating it in the material (see https://www.unrealengine.com/blog/getting-the-most-out-of-noise-in-ue4). That has its own drawbacks though. I also want to point out that most functions in this pack have nothing to do with noise.

Quick update: The submission has been approved, I’m now waiting to get informed about the release date.

Great news and grats!

teak

Looks awsome! The colors! So beautiful :smiley:

I Salivate, daily, waiting for this pinata of goodies to drop. Amazing work!

Keep checking every week for an update… so hungry for this :slight_smile:
Seriously looks great.

I’m happy to announce, the release date on the marketplace has been set to June 7th! I’ll put the pack on Gumroad a day or two in advance for those who can’t wait or prefer to download from an alternative platform.

OK, the pack is now live on Gumroad. Enjoy. [UE4] FX and UI Functions

Aaaand it’s live on the marketplace: FX and UI Functions in Materials - UE Marketplace

Amazing resource and pack! Purchased!