Which gameplay systems would require you to know advanced math?

I am curious, what type of features in a game would require advanced math? And is it possible to bypass these math requirements by buying marketplace assets which already solve the problem? For example, programming an AI or implementing melee attacks and grapples.

At the very least you should understand what Vector is and how to use it. Everything else depends on the type of game you are making. Physics and rendering will require rather advanced math skills and knowledge, but not every game you make will require you to touch these subjects (this is what UE4 is here for).

When you say rendering, what exactly do you mean? And physics, what specific game systems would require physics? Lets say I am making an FPS, would I need to know physics? I am not planning on implementing any jetpacks, etc.

What kind of customization do you speak of, specifically?

Well, basically, two character types, one is just a brute with limited mobility, but uses a flashlight, can lean to get a better shot, equipped with a rifle, handgun, grenade, melee kill. Basically your generic fps.

the other class, can climb ledges, take cover, sneak, etc. think assassin’s creed with guns, I guess. I am not too worried about the ledge system, as I will probably buy the alex3d ledge system.

I am going to use ikinema, if that means anything to you.

My only concern is aerial assassinations (how do I implement this? I assume I will have to use math to calculate when an enemy is below me, then execute the kill animation at a certain distance from the enemy), lighting (I need to calculate how much light is shining on a character), turning sound from within a 20 ft radius into a visualizer (shotgun goes off, visualizer(sound meter) displays how much sound was generated), and potentially creating an air drone that can be user controlled. That is basically all I can think of at the moment.

this is just a small multiplayer game, with bot backfilling (ai replaces empty player slots in a match).

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction! I didn’t know about these templates.

You need good knowledge and understanding of Trigonometry to make any game, simple FPS or not.

Thankfully, the engine provides a lot of useful functions already - but you still need to know how, when and why to use them. You’ll only learn by practicing though.