Help with fading material out over distance

Hi guys, I’ve been searching around and haven’t found a solution to my issue, and was wondering if anyone knew how to set this up? I basically want to simply fade out my material over distance, so that my ground plane blends into my HDRI map into the distance.

Here’s a screenshot of what I currently have, and a photoshopped image of what I want to achieve:

213daf6596cfe3795c62f5cd784608854ddf72d7.jpeg

Any help would be super appreciated!

Hey, have you tried using height fog with HDR image as inscattering color cubemap?
If I understand correctly it should accomplish exactly what you’re looking for

Ah that makes sense! I’ll try that, thanks :slight_smile:

Hey, don’t know if I’m doing it wrong, but it kind of does the exact opposite of what I want.

I have a ground mesh with a grass texture, and I essentially want the mesh to fade out over a distance so it blends in with my HDRI, I imagine it’s possible with some kind of depth node in the material - but I have no idea, and can’t find anything on it :confused:

Here is effect I achieved with this fog, are you sure it’s a different effect?

I’ve reduced Fully Directional Inscattering value to 500, set Start Distance to 750 and placed Fog actor at -1’000cm at Z axis(It matters for height fog)

Edit: Another picture with more obvious effect

Honestly the fog just doesn’t look anything like that for me, as soon as I add the HDRI cubemap the fog essentially disappears, and when I adjust settings you can see it vaguely affecting the HDRI sky in my scene but nothing else - I’ve tried playing with all the settings and I can’t seem to get any fog to appear.

Nevermind, kept messing with settings and realised I had to bring it quite high in my scene to get it to work, thanks man!

Oh, right!
I completely forgot to mention intensity, sorry about that.
By the way, you can crank it up higher then limited value if you just type in any number you want instead of using slider.

Yeah it’s looking much better, thanks again.

Although I feel like I’m cheating because I’m having the light it all dynamically, because I just can’t seem to get good quality static lighting, no matter how much I crank the settings up - and my deadline is close, so I’ll have to work that out another time.