[Ask for help]How would you do... a kamehameha

Hello everybody !

I’m new here and new to Unreal Engine 4 ! :slight_smile:
I started to learn UE4 last week and for now I’m enjoying the particle system and would like to reproduce a kamehameha ! (I’m sure you know what it is…)

Now, I have something like this :

And I’m pretty happy with it ! It’s just the “beam/body” part of the thing but at this point I’m asking to my self :
How can I use it in a game and make it extend until it encounter an obstacle ?

What I did to have it :
In particle system :
- I used mesh emitter with one cylinder scaling randomly on two axis with limits
- a beam emitter sprite to have the blue glowing effect (you can easily see it at the tips)
In the material :
- the cylinder has a material using a fresnel node multiplied by a constant for the blue color and the brightness, also blended with a panned “wave effect” texture with alpha, that you can see moving from the left to the right on the gif.

Now, I have to think about how I can extend it. First I thought about scaling the cylinder on the lenght axis, but if I do that, I will have the waves texture scaled in the same time. I would like to keep the waves at the right size and have them slide along the beam/cylinder regardless its length.

So, here is my main question :

How would you do that kamehameha ? Is there a solution to my problem by keeping what I have ? Or do I need to do it another way ?

Thank you in advance for your help !

If you can show me the process on how you first made this I might be able to help you with your problem