Behind These Eyes (UE4 Horror Game)

Hey everyone!

My name is Gavin, and I’m the developer making the new indie horror game (dang there’s a lot of 'em) Behind These Eyes. The game is full of clues hinting to a deeper story, and entertaining puzzles to keep things interesting. Behind These Eyes is a game were nothing is passive; where everything means something.

Through past experience I have leaned that making a game unique is a key part to a fun, and exiting video game, and with the help of Unreal Engine, I’m finally accomplishing that. Behind These Eyes is a story based game that follows the life of a man after his attempting to leave a brutal gang he was a part of. His ex-gang members turn on him. They start to threaten his new life, and those he loves, and he decides to end it before things get messy.

After an attempted suicide, the man wakes up in a desolate world while feeling strange and out of place. He has entered the world behind his eyes. A place brimming with the things human eyes can’t see. The things we are glad not to see.

Watch all four trailers below!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6WAbbB7YB4

https://youtube.com/watch?v=npWwm0NF2Tg

https://youtube.com/watch?v=MwxvVsWwSDY

https://youtube.com/watch?v=VQttlc272vY

I hope you have found this to be an interesting project, and I would encourage you to follow my progress as I upload more trailers, and other content. With your help we can make this a successful game!

Just finished the new thumbnail for the game!

a23819b9cd33fc35ffa2469f88e72536fa1fbd45.jpeg

Here’s a screenshot from the main level of the game :slight_smile:

Hey everyone!

Just wanted to announce that work on the game has been going REALLY well, and the game will probably be released sooner than originally expected, by a few months!

The game looks nice, definitely cool. But I feel committed to say and to create a rule of precedent here - The first rule of Horror Game Development: Shadows are not black. Physically speaking - light reflects when it hits a surface; from the moon, from other light sources. Contrast is definitely key, but having explicitly black shadows is just going to create a headache for your player. Add a skylight, even at 0.1 intensity.

The second point I would say; never infer that the deeper parts of your story are ‘easter eggs’. Easter eggs imply something left by the developer that a player has to try hard to find, your storyline should be key - it’s a crucial part to horror narrative.
Just some healthy points of critique. Best of luck with the development. :slight_smile:

Thanks for your input! I’ll make those edits right away :slight_smile:

For some reason I can’t upload pictures, or attachments. Whenever I try I get a “Database Error” message… Does anyone know what that’s about?

Here’s an older screenshot I took of the main level. Shadows are still a bit dark though, because I haven’t taken the time to rebuild/recalculate the lighting.

For the past week I have been working on the jump-scares/spooks. Most of them are pretty subtle, but there are a few that are a bit more aggressive. I’ll post some videos of them soon!

A picture from the cave part of the level. The cave leads to a puzzle that the player needs to solve to continue.

More of the cave section :slight_smile:

Some pictures of the cave puzzle.

Here’s some more of the first puzzle.

Been a few days since I posted. I’m currently uploading to Steam Greenlight!

New video of gameplay, including the maze, scares, and puzzles!

Hey everyone! Behind These Eyes is launching on Steam Greenlight THIS SATURDAY!

Above is the last trailer for the game; Check it out!

Still going strong! Working on the main menu.

Hey everyone!

I just wanted to notify you all that my game Behind These Eyes is now live in Steam Greenlight. I’ve been working hard on it since the beginning of the year and finally got it on Greenlight this morning.

If you use Steam, I would love to get your vote, and support on my page:

I really hoping to make a breakthrough and get on Steam. With your help, maybe I can

Thanks!

lights. :stuck_out_tongue:

For real though, with scenes that are outdoor, even if remotely dark - there is always an ambient term of lighting. Shadows are never fully black.