Value Ladder

Hi.

I’ve been messing around with Houdini 16 and one of the neatest interface tricks they use is the idea of a Value Ladder. It works by putting the mouse over an item, like a vector, or whatever, and with the MMB pressed choosing the incremental value to change (via moving the mouse up and down) and then once that’s selected, moving the mouse left or right to increase / decrease said value. This is kind of hard to explain, so I recorded a 20 second video so folks can get an idea of what I’m talking about… Houdini users have had this feature for quite awhile and from what I can tell, they love it!

I think this would be a useful feature for some items inside of UE4.

I’m really surprised that no one thinks this is cool… <frowns> Thought for sure others would jump on it!

It would be nice for sure.

That’s definitely way better than the slider things we have now :smiley:

Humm how is this different as to being able to scroll the values in UE4 already?

Hey,

I’ve entered a feature request for this: Unreal Engine Issues and Bug Tracker (UE-44872)

Have a great day

It’s way more precise because it’s based on values like 10, 1, 0.1 etc instead of some arbitrary value depending on your resolution/size of the actual slider, and it’s way more flexible since you can choose how fast you want to scroll something, eg. want to scroll something across the level, go up to 100 and left/right from there, want to make a tiny adjustment, go down to 0.01 and left/right from there.

Hell the transform sliders don’t even work for me when using a pen tablet (only rotation does) but I guess this might be a bug. I’ll post a bug report if I can reproduce it in 4.16 preview 3.

Thanks for the issue tracker feature request addition btw, it’s appreciated!

Thanks for posting… Exactly, much more precise! One of the neatest features of Houdini in terms of its interface…

ps: Epic, thanks for considering…

I think it’s useful too, please vote on it :slight_smile:

Looks like its been removed completely… Was set to backlogged, now its just gone… Guess it will not make it… Thanks for considering…

All feature requests were removed from the tracker. You should change the prefix for the thread title to Feature Request instead of Editor.

Didn’t know they removed feature requests from Issues… The roadmap is quite high level, guess there is no longer a way to track feature requests…

wtf why would they do that?

Because feature requests weren’t really issues that could be tracked and fixed. For example a bug is reported with a bunch of steps in order to reproduce it. Then the devs can see what’s wrong in the code and fix it. For feature requests it’s different, the code doesn’t even exist. Thus feature requests didn’t really fit into the issue tracker (it wasn’t called a feature request tracker) and were removed so there are only bugs left on the issue tracker. The feature request part of the issues is now replaced with creating threads in this forum and selecting the Feature Request prefix (which the OP should do too btw). That way people can throw ideas back and forth and really explain why the feature is needed and how it should work, the issue tracker only had one page and you couldn’t fit a lot of information.

I agree that feature requests shouldn’t belong on issues… makes sense; however, there are hundreds of feature requests threads and most if not all have no response one way or another from Epic. Its totally cool if my feature request gets rejected, but how would I know? Everything else you said above makes sense, ideas bouncing back and forth, etc. Its the feedback that I feel is not quite there yet…

I agree that would make sense, if they used the forum more than looking over it once a week.