User Tag List

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Unreal Engine 4.16 Preview

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Ellis View Post
    Hi mechanicalsnowman.

I've reviewed your crash reports, and the results are unusual. For unknown reasons, they are missing some important data (the callstack) which sometimes results when the crash isn't occurring in engine code. I do see that your engine version is non-vanilla, meaning using plugins or modified source code; is that accurate?

The only information included in your crash report is the error message, which matches closely (but not 100%) with https://issues.unrealengine.com/issue/UE-43546. Are your assets using morph targets?
    Hey Stephen, my 4.15 is from the launcher and non-modified, but I'm using a version of Victory plugin that I compiled myself, I wonder if I broke something.

The assets I tried to open included skeletal meshes using morph targets, skeletal meshes without morph targets, and static meshes. Afaik, static meshes can't use morph targets, so I'm guessing my crashes are unrelated to that error.

This is the only time I've had trouble migrating to a new engine version, and also the only time I've compiled a plugin for UE4, so I have a feeling they are related. Will try to revert any changes I made ad see if it helps, thanks for the reply

Edit: K so, I converted my project back to deferred rendering from Forward before migrating it to 4.16 and things seem to open fine now. In retrospect, everything that crashed were assets that opened the asset preview window with the preview lighting scene, since materials and textures would open fine. Have no idea whether it was the fault of the asset preview scene, but that is definitely a correlation.
    Last edited by mechanicalsnowman; 05-16-2017 at 11:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyGuitar View Post
    What's up with the distance field bias behaving differently than it did in previous versions?

I agree I'm having problems with DFAO as well, Bias doesn't appear to be working.

Wow, cloth is freaking RADULAR, just had a play using Alan's demo video as a guide.

Thanks so much for making it so that we don't have to use Apex, hopefully this gets out of experimental really soon. Couple of things,

A blender user mentioned this, the paint vertices visualization is 90 degrees. I use MayaLT which is also Y-up, so hopefully compatibility gets added for assets from those softwares

Any ETA on documentation? New to cloth in general, and was wondering about parameters to change cloth weight / thickness / hardness etc to sim different materials.

Unreal Engine Support
    Quote Originally Posted by mechanicalsnowman View Post
    Wow, cloth is freaking RADULAR, just had a play using Alan's demo video as a guide.

Thanks so much for making it so that we don't have to use Apex, hopefully this gets out of experimental really soon. Couple of things,

A blender user mentioned this, the paint vertices visualization is 90 degrees. I use MayaLT which is also Y-up, so hopefully compatibility gets added for assets from those softwares

Any ETA on documentation? New to cloth in general, and was wondering about parameters to change cloth weight / thickness / hardness etc to sim different materials.

No ETA, but I've written and submitted my first draft of it to go through our review process. Hopefully not too long, though.

The changes to the different Cloth Properties shouldn't be any different than how APEX handled it. Once you have your Cloth asset setup and assigned to your mesh and material, you can navigate to the Asset Details panel and under Cloth you'll see your cloth asset that you created. Expand this and set the properties you'd like.

Really the only significant change to the APEX Cloth pipeline that has changed is the ability to create the clothing in UE4 now. The rest should line up with what you're used to for the most part.
    Tim Hobson | Learning Resources | Epic Games
    UE4 Documentation
    Wiki Troubleshooting Guides: Lighting | Swarm Agent | Destructibles |

Samaritan

PREVIEW 3 CRASH

Having r.SupportStationarySkylight=False crashes the editor when trying to open a static or skeletal mesh in the content browser.
    I submitted the crash report of course, but thought to post it here aswell.

Code:
    Fatal error: [File D\Build\++UE4+Release-4.16+Compile\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\RenderCore\Private\RenderingThread.cpp] [Line: 798] 
    Rendering thread exception:
    Fatal error: [File D\Build\++UE4+Release-4.16+Compile\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Engine\Private\Materials\MaterialShared.cpp] [Line: 1851] 
    Couldn't find Shader TBasePassPSFCachedPointIndirectLightingPolicySkylight for Material Resource GridMaterial!
    		RenderMeshShaderMap 1, RenderThreadShaderMap 1
    		GameMeshShaderMap 1, GameThreadShaderMap 1, bShaderWasFoundInGameShaderMap 0
    		With VF=FLocalVertexFactory, Platform=PCD3D_SM5
    		ShouldCache: Mat=1, VF=1, Shader=0 
    		MaterialUsageDesc: LightingModel=MSM_DefaultLit, BlendMode=BLEND_Opaque, SpecialEngine=0, TwoSided=0, TSNormal=1, Masked=0, Distorted=0, WritesEveryPixel=1, ModifiesMeshPosition=0, Usage={}
    Last edited by HEGI; 05-17-2017 at 11:03 AM.
    Michael Hegemann - https://twitter.com/HegiDev

Unreal Engine Developer
    Quote Originally Posted by intoxicat3 View Post
    As for Base Human Control Rig I have issue with eyes. Don't know how to resolve it.

Any ideas?

Edit: I needed to create control rig in skel mesh asset and resave sequence.

btw. any chance to have more control over head bones? eg mouth, eyes for dialogue animations/poses. I think this is doable in current system but no idea how to start.

Feedback: When exporting from Sequence it would be nice to tell which frames should be exported. (all frames, from-to) Basically I'm using this tool for prototype poses and possibility to export exact frame is great.
    This seems like a bug. If it's not mapped, it shouldn't do anything, which I don't think you mapped eyes here?

>>any chance to have more control over head bones? eg mouth, eyes for dialogue animations/poses.

Not yet. It's very simple rig right now and we're working on new production level system.

>>Feedback: When exporting from Sequence it would be nice to tell which frames should be exported. (all frames, from-to) Basically I'm using this tool for prototype poses and possibility to export exact frame is great.

Good to know. Thanks for the feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Hobson View Post
    No ETA, but I've written and submitted my first draft of it to go through our review process. Hopefully not too long, though.

The changes to the different Cloth Properties shouldn't be any different than how APEX handled it. Once you have your Cloth asset setup and assigned to your mesh and material, you can navigate to the Asset Details panel and under Cloth you'll see your cloth asset that you created. Expand this and set the properties you'd like.

Really the only significant change to the APEX Cloth pipeline that has changed is the ability to create the clothing in UE4 now. The rest should line up with what you're used to for the most part.
    Ooh found it, great, thanks!

Unreal Engine Developer
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyGuitar View Post
    What's up with the distance field bias behaving differently than it did in previous versions?

DistanceFieldBias has been removed, and a new property DistanceFieldSelfShadowBias added, which works differently. Generally speaking you need a larger DistanceFieldSelfShadowBias value to get the same visual effect. We are getting much more effective DFAO self-shadow reduction in Fortnite with the new setting.

Distance field self shadowing controls for hiding world position offset self-shadow artifacts
    * Removed static mesh build settings DistanceFieldBias, which shrunk the distance field, breaking AO and shadows
    * Added DistanceFieldSelfShadowBias, which prevents occlusion close to the surface only, maintaining shadows on the ground and AO on the ground

Still unable to package for Win64 with the Steam Audio plugin enabled in preview 3. Anyone else having the same issue?

I opened a bug report for the issue here:
    https://answers.unrealengine.com/questions/601357/cannot-package-with-steam-audio-plugin-enabled.html

Quote Originally Posted by DanielW View Post
    DistanceFieldBias has been removed, and a new property DistanceFieldSelfShadowBias added, which works differently. Generally speaking you need a larger DistanceFieldSelfShadowBias value to get the same visual effect. We are getting much more effective DFAO self-shadow reduction in Fortnite with the new setting.
    Thanks for the reply! Looks like I made the right move cranking up the new variable and tweaking my skylight accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by hippowombat View Post
    Dunno if it's normal behavior as this is my first time using them, but creating instances of HISMs at runtime yield the correct meshes but with the default editor material instead of the assigned material applied in the latest preview of 4.16.
    Confirmed both ISMs and HISMs revert to the default editor material in 4.16 Preview 3, I have a bug report for it here.

Quote Originally Posted by xN31 View Post
    Still unable to package for Win64 with the Steam Audio plugin enabled in preview 3. Anyone else having the same issue?

I opened a bug report for the issue here:
    https://answers.unrealengine.com/questions/601357/cannot-package-with-steam-audio-plugin-enabled.html
    We are aware of the issue and have a fix coming in 4.17.

Quote Originally Posted by freeman_valve View Post
    Is there an estimate when 4.17 will be ready to be released? It's currently on Preview 3 of 4.16, how many previews are there usually? About to start on a big project, wanting to use the new audio engine/ steam audio but have to make a decision soon on how to proceed. Thanks

I just watched the pre-recorded stream about UE4.16 preview. it was a great stream exposing all of the little details!

[Inquiry] One feature i noticed by chance in the video was the "asset audit window". Because my project's performance actually has dropped to a big low (28-30 fps) and i don't know how to get the performance back up. I'm pretty sure my assets are fine, but my blueprints however i think might not be optimized correctly. I was thinking is there a way to have your blueprints audited as well? to know what process are taking up system recourses. i'm not sure if this has already been asked.

thank you if anyone could shed some light on this.

I've been using 4.16 from github for the last two months and had a great experience, so much that i updated my prototype to 4.16 and it's incredible :3 The current build is highly stable now.
    LinkedIn | Nvidia GameWorks builds | 4.16.2: Flex - Volumetric Lightning - HairWorks - Flow - Here
    | 4.15.3 : Flex - HairWorks(MorphTarget support) - Volumetric Lightning - Flow - Here
    | 4.14.3 : VXGI - Flex - HairWorks - Here
    | 4.16.2 (no packaging): VXGI - Here

Quote Originally Posted by Rodnino View Post
    Is there an estimate when 4.17 will be ready to be released? It's currently on Preview 3 of 4.16, how many previews are there usually? About to start on a big project, wanting to use the new audio engine/ steam audio but have to make a decision soon on how to proceed. Thanks
    Usually it's 3, sometimes up to 5. As for 4.17, I'd guess two months later.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodnino View Post
    Is there an estimate when 4.17 will be ready to be released?
    Anything between 3 and 5 months.

Quote Originally Posted by freeman_valve View Post
    Thanks, please keep us posted when a patch is available, if this can be applied also on 4.16 from GitHub.

So, when is 4.16 coming out ?

I really hope a fix for the wonky file management system will be made soon.

Did yoiu fix the bug that auto restores to defaults blueprints ?
    Some cool unreal projects you may like!

Developer of Gladiator Manager Ancient Ludus RTS Gladiator Fighting

Also GOTA - Survivalism Gladiatorial game

Become a c++ Professional now C++ Networking Tutorial

Unreal Engine Developer
    Quote Originally Posted by PCIsSuperior View Post
    I really hope a fix for the wonky file management system will be made soon.
    That's a very broad statement. Do you have any more specific details?

Am i the only one facing some:
    "LowLevelFatalError XXX ...CoreUObject\Private\Serialization\AsyncLoading.cpp
    Attempt to process /Game/...../Struct before it has been added"

While trying to launch packaged game? (win64 target)
    Nativization set to exclusive and empty.

edit: looks related - https://answers.unrealengine.com/questions/599692/asyncloading-error-nativized-package-crashes-on-at.html

I was able to launch the packaged game once i disabled nativization all together.
    Last edited by Maxime.Dupart; 05-22-2017 at 12:06 PM.
    LinkedIn | Nvidia GameWorks builds | 4.16.2: Flex - Volumetric Lightning - HairWorks - Flow - Here
    | 4.15.3 : Flex - HairWorks(MorphTarget support) - Volumetric Lightning - Flow - Here
    | 4.14.3 : VXGI - Flex - HairWorks - Here
    | 4.16.2 (no packaging): VXGI - Here

Pleaseeeeeeeeee fix the camera lag not working or causing stuttering on server "even if game is running at a constant 60fps" and pleaseeeeee fix the main problem which is collisions resetting when playing on a dedicated server "example ghost character has no collision though when playing on dedicated server it does have collision" and last but not least please fix "when attaching actortoactor then setting that actors relative position on server not working" if you can get those fixed i will love you

Here is a fix for collisions on network https://github.com/EpicGames/UnrealEngine/pull/2010 the actor.cpp in the framework folder was missing collisions calls, also attaching actortoactor on server when looking at the actor getting attached screen the camera jitters and stutters like crazy when moving while attached at a close distance

Dumb question but is the volumetric fog any different from volumetric lighting? I've heard about volumetric lighting updates so I'm assuming it's the fog that actually generates the volumetric effect in combination with the lighting?
    Atoms4D - Indie VR Game atoms4d.com *site needs updating(soon)*
    XAXISvr - A Marketplace for VR Dev's: xaxisvr.com
    Owen Prescott - Official Concept Art & Design: owenprescott.com

Quote Originally Posted by Exelcior View Post
    Hey SyberBlade, glad you're giving the new clothing tools a try.

They're in an experimental state right now but I'm still looking for feedback so thanks for your post! As for your points:

1) I'm not sure what you mean here. You can use unreal physics assets to create clothing assets now with the tools enabled. There's no way unfortunately to update them after creation but I'm working on fixing that for the final release. Unsure what you'd like with regard to channels though.

2) As far as I'm aware we should now allow 8 influences, but only when creating assets completely in-editor. If you import an .apx or .apb we can only allow 4 unfortunately due to the APEX limitations.

3) We don't have a solution yet for solid objects attached to clothing. So for the time being any hard surface will act like clothing. But we're looking for improvements and future ideas so it's good to hear these things.

Benn.
    Thanks for the update Benn. I also would like to request an update feature for the clothing system. I would recommend putting a copy of the "Create Clothing Asset from Section > Basic > Remove Section from Mesh" Checkbox and the "Create Clothing Asset from Section > Collision > Physics Asset" Dropdown into the "Asset Details > Clothing" as part of the Mesh Clothing Assets options, because I have already had to re-make cloth because I chose the wrong options on initial creation.

I also would like a button/option for reloading the Cloth Physics Asset, because I can't seem to get the cloth to register any changes to the Physics Asset without deleting the Clothing Asset and starting over.

Thanks!

Erich

Quote Originally Posted by emirh2010 View Post
    Pleaseeeeeeeeee fix the camera lag not working or causing stuttering on server "even if game is running at a constant 60fps" and pleaseeeeee fix the main problem which is collisions resetting when playing on a dedicated server "example ghost character has no collision though when playing on dedicated server it does have collision" and last but not least please fix "when attaching actortoactor then setting that actors relative position on server not working" if you can get those fixed i will love you
    The best way to get those fixed is to link to the bug reports.

As far as the synthesizers added. are they in house built or juce integration?

Samaritan
    The Web Browser plugin doesn't seem to work on HTML5 applications on 4.16 preview 3, this is an epic games plugin, should this work?

Unreal Engine Developer
    Quote Originally Posted by KyleTimeFireVr View Post
    As far as the synthesizers added. are they in house built or juce integration?
    In-house! Built from scratch! Just the way grandma made them!
    Name:  FreshlyBakedSynthesizer.png
Views: 740
Size:  343.9 KB
    Dan Reynolds
    Technical Sound Designer || Unreal Audio Engine Dev Team

Samaritan
    thx epic

Unreal Engine Developer
    Quote Originally Posted by dgrieshofer View Post
    Is there any progress regarding the crashes in 32-bit packaged builds of UE 4.15 and 4.16 on certain AMD cards? Could we get a UE issue tracker number for that?
    Hi dgrieshofer.

The last update I had heard regarding this is that it was only occurring for users on out-of-date AMD drivers, in which case Epic can't consider this an engine bug or perform any special updates to account for that. On reviewing your links I do see a mention that it occurs on updated drivers as well. We'll look into this further and evaluate next steps.

Cheers
    Stephen Ellis | Lead Engine Support Technician | Epic Games | @TheEpicStephen
    How to report a bug | >>Click here to report a bug<<

Unreal Engine Developer
    RELEASE!

4.16.0 is now available: https://forums.unrealengine.com/showthread.php?145720-4-16-Released

I'd like to thank everyone once again who helped us test during this preview, we were able to catch and address a number of issues thanks to you.

I am now closing this post, please continue any 4.16 discussions on the new thread. And remember as always, please report any new issues you find to the UE4 Answerhub.

Cheers
    Stephen Ellis | Lead Engine Support Technician | Epic Games | @TheEpicStephen
    How to report a bug | >>Click here to report a bug<<

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567