User Tag List

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Unreal Engine 4.16 Preview

Quote Originally Posted by Gwenn View Post
    They did say hot reload on VS2015 was broken with linker errors, right in the first post.

I just sent about 10 crash reports, using the new nvida driver and this preview, same ole crashes ive had since 4.14+.
    Trying to open any of the following = crash.

Starter content particles any of them.
    Any third person template animation.
    Third person blendspace.
    Third person animation blueprint.

All using a fresh just created template using this preview.

Specs
    I7
    8Gigs of ram
    gtx 560ti
    Last edited by iamjustagamer75; 04-26-2017 at 09:16 AM.

I have not tested it so i am sorry if wrong but is that volumetric really is only screen space effect so looking away from volumetric source location disables volume rays? anyone has more videos about volumetrics? please post.
    TOX - Set yourself free from Skype in future

As for Base Human Control Rig I have issue with eyes. Don't know how to resolve it.

Any ideas?

Edit: I needed to create control rig in skel mesh asset and resave sequence.

btw. any chance to have more control over head bones? eg mouth, eyes for dialogue animations/poses. I think this is doable in current system but no idea how to start.

Feedback: When exporting from Sequence it would be nice to tell which frames should be exported. (all frames, from-to) Basically I'm using this tool for prototype poses and possibility to export exact frame is great.
    Last edited by intoxicat3; 04-26-2017 at 09:47 AM.
    How to create first person shooter game from scratch. Lots of tutorials: http://www.shootertutorial.com - celebrating 50th Tutorial!

Quote Originally Posted by Gwenn View Post
    They did say hot reload on VS2015 was broken with linker errors, right in the first post.
    Who said anything about hot reload?
    Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Unreal Engine Developer
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraLifeMatt View Post

Likely your header file is missing the following includes:

Code:
    #include "UObject/ObjectMacros.h"
    #include "UObject/ScriptMacros.h"
    You should no longer have to include those yourself in every header as the generated header files now have those lines emitted in to them.

Champion

Volumetric Fog with a single light if you look directly give 9ms of cost, 8ms at look other world zone. When is disabled cost 6ms.

There is no a single volumetric system that cost this lots of ms in the market. From 2.5 to 3.5ms

Test using 970GTX on 1080p
    Last edited by Hevedy; 04-26-2017 at 09:46 AM.
    Hevedy - Image Tools: https://hevedy.itch.io/imagetools

Luminary
    What are the costs in more intensive setups with multiple lights? What about indoor scenes vs landscapes?

Unreal Engine Developer
    Quote Originally Posted by iamjustagamer75 View Post
    I just sent about 10 crash reports, using the new nvida driver and this preview, same ole crashes ive had since 4.14+.
    Thank you. I have tracked down and logged your data for review.
    Stephen Ellis | Lead Engine Support Technician | Epic Games | @TheEpicStephen
    How to report a bug | >>Click here to report a bug<<

Thanks, just trying to help believe me I want this fixed bad, don't want to be stuck in 4.13.2 forevermore.......

Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by intoxicat3 View Post
    I was able to make it work with skel mesh from Engine content.

You need to:
    - Add control rig component to your skel mesh,
    - In control rig select Base Human,
    - Then in Modes select Animation,
    - Then Select Skel Mesh you want to control,
    - Create new Sequence,

And you should get what I have on the screen.

Hope we can export data from sequence to Animation Sequence and be able to run it using AnimBlueprint. This would be super great for all people prototyping new features depending on poses/animations.

Edit: Yes you can export! Thanks Epic!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Sarkanen View Post
    The new in-editor animation tools are in this release. We aren't calling them out as they are currently in a very experimental state, but all the features that we were aiming for (including baking to anim sequences) are included. We would love to hear your feedback!

As to binding to your mesh, once the plugin is enabled, you will need to open the new "Control Rig" tab in the skeletal mesh editor to set up bindings to your mesh.
    Thanks for the information! I made a feedback thread for now: https://forums.unrealengine.com/showthread.php?143289-4-16-preview-Control-Rig-Sequence-feedback

How about VR Mixer Reality and supporting second camera?

Infiltrator
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraLifeMatt View Post
    Did you previously use 4.15? There were a large amount of header changes that came with 4.15, so if you haven't updated your project to work with that - you'll have to do it with 4.16.

Likely your header file is missing the following includes:

Code:
    #include "UObject/ObjectMacros.h"
    #include "UObject/ScriptMacros.h"
    I was on 4.15. Turns out the issue was that I had put the project into a folder named "4.16" which causes issues since identifiers (such as that define I copied) in C++ can't start with a number. Renamed the folder and that fixed it.

Regarding volumetric performance cost, I 've not done my own testing yet but some info from a github commit log was discussed in the volumetric fog thread in the feature requests forum a few weeks back:

Change 3346526 on 2017/03/14 by Daniel.Wright

[Copy] Volumetric Fog supports point and spot light shadows
    * These lights are injected separately so that per-light resources can be bound (shadow depth map, static shadow depth map)
    * Forward lighting of local lights can be forced with 'r.VolumetricFog.InjectShadowedLightsSeparately 0'
    * Shadowed lights come at a cost: 2.9ms for volumetric fog on 970 -> 4.2ms with shadowing

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Ellis View Post
    Hi iamjustagamer75.

You are correct that the D3D HUNG crashes are not resolved yet, but this is an important issue to us, and we are working towards a resolution. Both the 4.16 Preview and the upcoming 4.15.2 hotfix contain updates from NVIDIA that will send back additional logging information when these crashes occur. Our hope is that we can use this new information to isolate and resolve the root issue as soon as possible. (note: the new code isn't functional yet, since it is also dependent on a new NVIDIA driver that should be releasing soon. We will keep everyone posted)

Cheers
    Didn't 4.13.2 come out 7 months ago?

Infiltrator
    Can someone enlighten this dum-dum...
    A new clothing solver from Nvidia called NvCloth replaces APEX.
    I'm still using APEX tools for PhysX 3.3 (up to 4.13), is there an upgrade path to this... maybe opening using PhysX 3.4, saving, or will it be less headache to just import the meshes without apx and just repaint everything in 4.16?
    Capsule collision can now be imported from an FBX file. You now use the ‘UCP’ prefix on a capsule poly mesh, and it will be removed on import, and replaced by a corresponding capsule collision shape.
    Is this feature where the collision follows the mesh so closely that they're as good as static mesh collisions? No more flat lizards being driven by tall colliders. I.e. I can make that Shadow of the Colossus clone I've always wanted?

Champion

Quote Originally Posted by boogerton View Post
    Can someone enlighten this dum-dum...

I'm still using APEX tools for PhysX 3.3 (up to 4.13), is there an upgrade path to this... maybe opening using PhysX 3.4, saving, or will it be less headache to just import the meshes without apx and just repaint everything in 4.16?

Is this feature where the collision follows the mesh so closely that they're as good as static mesh collisions? No more flat lizards being driven by tall colliders. I.e. I can make that Shadow of the Colossus clone I've always wanted?
    If you are not able to add other api or edit the engine physics better then don't even try to make a game based on physics.
    Hevedy - Image Tools: https://hevedy.itch.io/imagetools

The cloth editor tool is not in there yet is it? i played around with 4.16 for a while but couldn't find it.

Quote Originally Posted by BENEROT View Post
    The cloth editor tool is not in there yet is it? i played around with 4.16 for a while but couldn't find it.
    Go to Editor Preferences, then under Experimental enable Clothing Tools.

Quote Originally Posted by AE_3DFX View Post
    I have not tested it so i am sorry if wrong but is that volumetric really is only screen space effect so looking away from volumetric source location disables volume rays? anyone has more videos about volumetrics? please post.
    It is not just a screen space effect. You can look away so that the source position of light(s) using volumetrics are off-screen, but the rays still work

However there are quite a lot of settings that can make a dramatic difference to this system, and it will take some time for everyone to learn the best settings for various scenarios. For example one of the settings (I forget which one right now) even has a tooltip that explains that it makes a big difference to how much rays will show up when you are viewing them from certain angles, eg if your camera is facing away from directional light direction.

I'm quite confident that there will be plenty of documentation, tutorials and videos of this effect given more time, as it is rather lovely to look at and plenty of people will experiment with it. For now there are just a few short videos and photos that show the results but dont attempt to explain things.

One source of information is from page 5 onwards of the feature request thread in the feedback forum. Once you scroll down page 5 a bit you will see that someone noticed when this feature was added to the github master branch version of UE4 some weeks ago, and various people tried it. There is not huge amounts of info there but it is better than nothing. Just be somewhat wary of some details because a few option names were changed in a later github commit after people already spoke on that thread about the system.

https://forums.unrealengine.com/showthread.php?135317-what-happened-to-volumetric-lighting-fog/page5

Samaritan
    Could we have a sample Kernel texture for FFT bloom? Everything I try works to some extent, but also blurs the entire image to the point that it almost looks like poorly set up dof.

OK the volumetric fog tooltip I referred to in my previous post doesnt seem to have the detail I mentioned in the preview version, I saw it on a version from github I compiled on my mac earlier this month.

It's pretty useful to know so I'm posting a screenshot.

How do I turn mesh section to cloth ? On GDC video Alan just selected section, right click add cloth asset. I can't even select mesh section in viewport ;/.
    https://github.com/iniside/ActionRPGGame - Action RPG Starter kit. Work in Progress. You can use it in whatever way you wish.

Finally we have UE4.16! Great work!

But, issues is steel a problem...
    Cloth Paint tool crashes, link to answerhub:
    https://answers.unrealengine.com/questions/591774/crash-on-cloth-paint-tool.html

I eagerly tested out the new audio engine on android to get spatialized audio finally however the audio has an annoying crackling sound

Bug report here: https://answers.unrealengine.com/questions/593219/android-new-audiomixerandroid-in-416p1-results-cra.html

Are there any special settings required - I let everything as defaults

I've enabled the new Synthesis plugin........now what? Any tips on where to start?

I would like to test out the new audio engine with Steam Audio, but I can't find documentation for it and am having a tough time figuring out how to set it up. I've added phonon source/geometry/material components to sounds and objects, added phonon related volumes and generated points, baked sound propagation, and anything else I could try by following the unity tutorial, but I feel like there should be some general settings section somewhere I'm missing, since Unity has so many more steam audio options than I'm seeing in UE4.

Samaritan
    Quote Originally Posted by Selentic View Post
    Downloading know. I hope this resolves the blueprint data loss issues!

If anyone else is testing for that same issue here, please let us know your results.
    Following this up for those interested in this issue. I've had a good several hours of work put in, and I've yet to experience the issue where all blueprint actors within a level clear their non default properties. Hopefully this has finally been fixed!

Unreal Engine Developer
    Quote Originally Posted by aussieburger View Post
    I eagerly tested out the new audio engine on android to get spatialized audio finally however the audio has an annoying crackling sound

Bug report here: https://answers.unrealengine.com/questions/593219/android-new-audiomixerandroid-in-416p1-results-cra.html

Are there any special settings required - I let everything as defaults

Hi Aussieburger!

Fortunately, this is a known issue--the back-end implementation on Android came in a bit hot and Aaron has reviewed the implementation and is already working on a revision. I'll let Aaron expound where he feels appropriate. Please keep in mind that the new Audio Engine is still in an experimental state and that we're still ironing out the back-end implementations as well as refining features.

With that said, we are eager for community input.

Unreal Engine Developer
    Quote Originally Posted by aoakenfoArchiact View Post
    I've enabled the new Synthesis plugin........now what? Any tips on where to start?
    Howdy, AoakenfoArchiact!

We recommend enabling both the Synthesis plugin as well as the Sound Utilities plugin! With that said, there are two existing components Aaron has built. A subtractive modular synth and a granular synth--under actor components, look for the Modular Synth Component. Once added, you can use its many member functions such as Set Preset or Note On and Note Off.

We are planning a number of tutorial videos and/or tutorial streams as we refine and finalize the features of this still experimental new Audio Engine!

Unreal Engine Developer
    Quote Originally Posted by Obsidiaguy View Post
    I would like to test out the new audio engine with Steam Audio, but I can't find documentation for it and am having a tough time figuring out how to set it up. I've added phonon source/geometry/material components to sounds and objects, added phonon related volumes and generated points, baked sound propagation, and anything else I could try by following the unity tutorial, but I feel like there should be some general settings section somewhere I'm missing, since Unity has so many more steam audio options than I'm seeing in UE4.
    Hello Mitchell!

Once the Phonon Plugin is enabled, there are several assets that will be available--these are attenuation assets. We found early on that the new Audio Engine already had data on the Sound Source's world information and so a "Phonon Source" component was unnecessary. Instead, you will want to apply an Attenuation Object to your Sound Source that has Phonon Asset Overrides.

I made the following procedure steps that should still be usable in its current state. However, please keep in mind that we are still working with Valve on refining the implementation and that at the moment the integration is experimental.

Steam Audio Procedures
    Spatialized Direct Audio
    1. Change Spatialization Parameter on Attenuation Settings to: HRTF Spatialization
    2. Create/Add Phonon Spatialization Settings

Enabling Occlusion
    1. Tag Occluding Static Meshes with Phonon Geometry Component
    2. Export Scene (Under Build Drop-Down Menu)
    3. Enable Occlusion on Attenuation Settings
    4. Create/Add Phonon Attenuation Settings
    5. Set Phonon Attenuation Settings to Raycast or Partial

Enabling Realtime Propagation on a Source Sound
    1. Tag Reflective Static Meshes with Phonon Geometry Component
    3. Create/Add Phonon Reverb Settings to Source’s Attenuation Settings
    4. Set Phonon Reverb Settings’ Indirect Simulation Mode to: Realtime

Enabling Baked Propagation on a Source Sound
    3. Create/Add Phonon Reverb Settings to Source’s Attenuation Settings
    4. Set Phonon Reverb Settings’ Indirect Simulation Mode to: Baked
    5. Add Phonon Probe Volume to scene
    6. Scale Phonon Probe Volume to fit around reverberate space and geometry
    7. Set Probe Volume Placement Strategy to: Uniform Distribution
    8. Set Horizontal Spacing to something reasonable
    9. Click Generate Probes
    10. Add a Phonon Source Component to Audio Component
    11. Set Phonon Source Component’s Baked Radius to be larger than the sound source’s attenuation range
    12. Click Bake Propagation

Enabling Baked Listener Reverb
    3. Change Global Indirect Simulation Mode to Baked (In Project Settings)
    4. Add Phonon Probe Voluem to scene
    5. Scale Phonon Probe Volume to fit around reverberate space and geometry
    6. Set Probe Volume Placement Strategy to: Uniform Distribution
    7. Set Horizontal Spacing to something reasonable
    8. Click Generate Probes
    9. Bake Reverb (Under Build Drop-Down Menu)
    Any sources that have a non-null reverb setting will be routed through this reverb.

EDIT: It's worth noting that all these new Audio Engine features are Early Access/Experimental at the moment and can only be accessed by enabling the Audio Engine (with commandline it's -audiomixer).
    Last edited by dan.reynolds; 04-26-2017 at 05:07 PM.

Oooh new audio

Hey guys,

Just to be clear, this is an experimental version of the plugin that we put together at GDC. We've put in several months worth of fixes and such that weren't able to make it out in time for 4.16. Feel free to play around with the plugin as Dan outlined, but be aware that a much more stable version will be shipping with 4.16 preview 2 that includes extensive documentation. Once the preview 2 version ships, we will be providing support over at our forums, and can answer any questions you guys have.

Update:
    Check out the docs, here: https://github.com/ValveSoftware/steam-audio/releases/download/v2.0-beta.3/steamaudio_manual_unreal_2.0-beta.3.pdf
    Feel free to mosey over to our forums here: http://steamcommunity.com/app/596420/discussions/
    Check out known issues and file new ones on our GitHub: https://github.com/ValveSoftware/steam-audio/issues
    Last edited by freeman_valve; 05-02-2017 at 07:52 PM.

Unreal Engine Developer
    Thanks Dan,

Note that Steam Audio plugin depends fundamentally on new capabilities in the *new* audio engine, so you'll need to run with that enabled if you want to see Steam Audio editor extensions and features. The same is true of the synthesis plugin or Sound Utilities plugin. I wrote code to specifically hide new functionality from sound waves, etc, if the audio engine isn't enabled. Note that the Synthesis plugin will be where source and submix effects are written, and new synthesizers. The Sound Utilities plugin will be where I implement utility-like features and BP-type applications (e.g. utilities for constructing interactive music and dynamic ambience, etc).

See the release notes for specifics on how to enable the new audio engine (you have to either launch with -audiomixer or modify an engine .ini file).

Note that the new Steam Audio plugin integrates deeply with the audio pipeline as we were able to collaborate on how to better integrate Steam Audio (and also other third party audio plugins) to the UE4 audio workflow so it might not be exactly the same as it was in the past. For example, adding the ability for Steam to define their own settings data layout, but still be able to plug those settings into the standard UE4 spatialization definition implementation pipeline. We also streamlined getting access to source and listener data for the plugin.

Unfortunately there's not a huge amount of documentation (or barely any) for any of the new audio engine stuff as we've been almost exclusively focused on making sure what is there is working (specifically for 4.16 audio engine features). We're also not fully finished with all the platforms so don't want to enable things without there being full platform support.

RE: Android/iOS/Switch support for the new audio mixer. I didn't write these backends so there are some issues I need to fix before it's fully utilizable. Apologies for those excited about android audio *finally* having full feature support in UE4. It's close, but needs some love and attention. I'm literally working on Android right now to attempt to fix some of the obvious buffer underrun issues (I suspect it's because the mix function is being called synchronous to the audio output stream buffer callback).

Thanks everybody for being patient with us as we transition to using a totally new audio engine back end.

In fact, since there's not a lot of documentation currently, I'd be super grateful for anybody who posts some stuff to these forums/wikis with how-to's as you discover things We'll be trying to post blogs/tutorials/live-streams in the coming weeks on how-to's on new audio engine systems shouldn't change by 4.17 (e.g. how to use the synths, DSP effects, etc).
    Last edited by Minus_Kelvin; 04-26-2017 at 05:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by freeman_valve View Post
    Hey guys,

Just to be clear, this is an experimental version of the plugin that we put together at GDC. We've put in several months worth of fixes and such that weren't able to make it out in time for 4.16. Feel free to play around with the plugin as Dan outlined, but be aware that a much more stable version will be shipping with 4.17 that includes extensive documentation. Once the 4.17 version ships, we will be providing support over at our forums, and can answer any questions you guys have.
    Thanks for the clarification. Really appreciate your work on this. It's just hard to not want to jump in when I've been waiting for something like this for so long.

Unreal Engine Developer
    Here's the quickest way to get started with the Synth:

Add a Modular Synth Component to your actor
    Name:  synth_quick_tut_01.JPG
Views: 1855
Size:  17.3 KB

Set your Preset--there is a default preset that sounds pretty good, but what I like doing is making a public variable that I can customize with a details panel:
    Name:  synth_quick_tut_02.JPG
Views: 1872
Size:  46.6 KB
    Name:  synth_quick_tut_03.JPG
Views: 1857
Size:  15.3 KB

There are a LOT of awesome parameters, as well as a modular patch system at the end:
    Name:  synth_quick_tut_04.JPG
Views: 1866
Size:  93.5 KB

There are also Blueprint setters for setting individual parameters if you want to do real-time modulation--you can also create Presets within the Modular Synth Preset Bank Asset, which you can break-out as well.

Once you've initialized the sound you want, you can activate the sound with the Note On function:
    Name:  synth_quick_tut_05.JPG
Views: 1865
Size:  39.9 KB

Note value is a MIDI note value (60 is middle C), but it's float, so you can 'tween if you like.

Velocity is a MIDI value which does volume scale by default--but if you have a non-negative value, it will automatically shut itself off after that many seconds.

Duration is -1.0 by default, if you set it to -1.0 it will sustain until you call Note Off on the SAME note (as it has a polyphonic voice manager).
    Name:  synth_quick_tut_06.JPG
Views: 1875
Size:  88.5 KB

Here you can see, I've a delay to create a similar situation.

The possibilities are limitless when paired with BP logic--we're looking forward to what all you synth cats come up with!

Quote Originally Posted by SRombauts View Post
    - UE-34539: (Bugfix) Allow binary files in git stored via git-fat, git-lfs, etc to be diffed (take 2) #3253
    Does that only affect your plugin, or is that a general fix so that anyone using UE4 with git lfs benefits from that, without having to use your plugin?

Quote Originally Posted by freeman_valve View Post
    Just to be clear, this is an experimental version of the plugin that we put together at GDC. We've put in several months worth of fixes and such that weren't able to make it out in time for 4.16.
    Is it possible to update to the newest version manually, like simply updating the SDK to the newer version, or do those "several months worth of fixes" depend on things in UE4 that don't exist yet in 4.16?

Awesome timing for the Spline IK!
    I was thinking of trying to hack together something based on UE splines but now I can go and have a coffee instead!
    Excited to try it out.

Cheers
    Fred

Quote Originally Posted by John Alcatraz View Post
    Does that only affect your plugin, or is that a general fix so that anyone using UE4 with git lfs benefits from that, without having to use your plugin?

Is it possible to update to the newest version manually, like simply updating the SDK to the newer version, or do those "several months worth of fixes" depend on things in UE4 that don't exist yet in 4.16?
    Updating to the latest SDK would fix a few of the issues in this release (baking multiple sources being the biggest one that comes to mind), but the plugin changes require updates to the engine.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast