User Tag List

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Unreal Engine 4.16 Preview

I gave up hope for Volumetric Lighting in UE.
    You guys never fail to amaze me. Thank you guys

Quote Originally Posted by John Alcatraz View Post
    I find it quite hard to get good results with the volumetric fog outdoors. It looks nice, but I kinda hoped it could replace screen space light shafts. Its basically impossible though to get nice light shafts without having everything be really fogged.

Everything looks quite washed out when you have the volumetric fog enabled. If you want to get any relevant light shafts, you need to increase the fog density so much that you won't see any sky any more, the sky will just be a uniform white (the fog color), like you see in the gif above.

Something like this (screen space lightshaft) is not possible with the new volumetric fog it seems:

I guess it would have been too nice if it would have looked as good as the screen space light shafts, without the limitation of being a screen space effect that disappears when looking in a different direction.
    It's doable using Nvidia volumetric lighting.
    I agree though. Build in solution needs to be less physically accurate and more controllable.
    https://github.com/iniside/ActionRPGGame - Action RPG Starter kit. Work in Progress. You can use it in whatever way you wish.

Quote Originally Posted by hippowombat View Post
    Distance field improvements and volumetric fog, I can't express my gratitude in words, you guys are too good to me. <3 <3 <3
    I can't tell you how long I've been waiting for proper volumetric fog support to come to UE4 and couldn't be happier

Quote Originally Posted by ioFlow Studios View Post
    Someone made a great suggestion for the particle volume fog on discord, how hard would it be for you guys to add the ability for particles to subtract from fog density as well as add?
    NOW YOU'RE THINKING WITH PORTALS!

But seriously what a brilliant suggestion as think of the endless possibilities that open up if such a feature were to be made available :O
    Regards,
    Benjamin D. Smith

Founder & CEO | Binary Sword Pty Ltd
    Currently working on: ODIN Tracker (UE4 Plugin)

Unresolved issues in 4.16 Preview targeted to be fixed by the 4.16 Release
    Couldn't find this bug in there. https://issues.unrealengine.com/issue/UE-43093 PLEASE!
    Also this, if you can get it in 4.16 release: https://answers.unrealengine.com/questions/591690/sss-is-affected-by-skylight-shouldnt-be.html As all foliage right now is looking wrong in shadows.

Infiltrator
    What happened to the USD plug from Pixar.?

Vertex Interpolator nodes
    Mmm, nice!

where is tools Cloth Paint?

Great preview! Where can I find documentation about the new audio mixer and the Steam Audio SDK integration?

Visionary
    So glad to see volumetric fog included now! =)

Any new forward renderer improvements?

Quote Originally Posted by cyaoeu View Post
    Did control rig sequences (from the GDC demo) not end up in 4.16?
    Edit: It was a plugin. I couldn't get it to work with my character though which is basically a mannequinn rig.
    I was able to make it work with skel mesh from Engine content.

You need to:
    - Add control rig component to your skel mesh,
    - In control rig select Base Human,
    - Then in Modes select Animation,
    - Then Select Skel Mesh you want to control,
    - Create new Sequence,

And you should get what I have on the screen.

Hope we can export data from sequence to Animation Sequence and be able to run it using AnimBlueprint. This would be super great for all people prototyping new features depending on poses/animations.

Edit: Yes you can export! Thanks Epic!
    Last edited by intoxicat3; 04-26-2017 at 05:12 AM.
    How to create first person shooter game from scratch. Lots of tutorials: http://www.shootertutorial.com - celebrating 50th Tutorial!

For everyone using the Git Source Control Provider Plugin (and for those asking if I am still working on it here are the Pull Requests merged in this Preview version :

- Fix Submit to Source Control Window for Git plugin : use CanCheckIn() to filter out unmodified assets files #3136
    - Git plugin: fix revision number for blueprint diff menu #3278
    - Git Plugin: use asynchronous "MarkForAdd" and "CheckIn" operations for the initial commit #3108
    - Git plugin: fix git autodetection and add error message #3224
    - UE-34539: (Bugfix) Allow binary files in git stored via git-fat, git-lfs, etc to be diffed (take 2) #3253
    - Git plugin: fix update status on directories broken since UE4.12 #3292
    - Git plugin: fix update status on directories hotfix (still) slightly broken in master (UE4.16) #3372
    - Git Plugin: fix RunDumpToFile() to check git ReturnCode #3327
    - Git Plugin: hotfix for regression off Visual Diffs with older version of Git in master (UE4.16) #3373
    - Git Plugin: trivial hotfix for the new UE4.16 warning about LoadModule() (UE4.16) #3455

Enjoy!

Champion

What happened with the volumetric lights are here or ?

From what I see from the volumetric fog point isn't the expected quality so ?

Is not new the games uses "Volumetric Effects" for lights usually in indoors etc, so don't see the point I have to put Fog in the scene to have volumetric effects....
    Last edited by Hevedy; 04-26-2017 at 05:22 AM.
    Hevedy - Image Tools: https://hevedy.itch.io/imagetools

In this version the "Cloth Paint" is there?

Great news for GearVR developers! Thanks guys! However will OpenGL ES3.1 still be available only in source version of the engine?

Champion
    Great stuff team!! I'm going to try and port my music generator project I made using the master branch to this preview build as the engine crashes when I add a create dynamic material instance in BP and feed a material instance to the input and it'll be easier to convert to stable builds in the future...

The volumetric fog is awesome, looks incredible on a sunrise/sunset:

You guys never cease to amaze me!!

Unreal Engine Developer
    Quote Originally Posted by mzprox View Post
    I hoped the animation tools (edit animations inside unreal) would be added in 4.16.. Is it 4.17 then?
    Quote Originally Posted by cyaoeu View Post
    Did control rig sequences (from the GDC demo) not end up in 4.16?
    Edit: It was a plugin. I couldn't get it to work with my character though which is basically a mannequinn rig.
    The new in-editor animation tools are in this release. We aren't calling them out as they are currently in a very experimental state, but all the features that we were aiming for (including baking to anim sequences) are included. We would love to hear your feedback!

As to binding to your mesh, once the plugin is enabled, you will need to open the new "Control Rig" tab in the skeletal mesh editor to set up bindings to your mesh.
    Tom Sarkanen | Unreal Engine Developer | Epic Games UK

The Volumetric fog stuff was certainly worth the wait and now I can embrace UE4 properly. I've been playing with it for a few weeks using the github version but now I have a lot to learn about the rest of UE4 in order to get results. But even as a relative UE4 novice it's all rather impressive, well done!

Quote Originally Posted by SRombauts View Post
    - UE-34539: (Bugfix) Allow binary files in git stored via git-fat, git-lfs, etc to be diffed (take 2) #3253
    No ****, THIS is my highlight!
    Btw is it already possible by now, if i do a Git rebase/merge and it has conflicts, that i can go through the conflicts? that didn't work well in 4.15

Luminary
    Quote Originally Posted by oglu View Post
    This is what I'm most curious about as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Memnarch View Post
    No ****, THIS is my highlight!
    Btw is it already possible by now, if i do a Git rebase/merge and it has conflicts, that i can go through the conflicts? that didn't work well in 4.15
    No, I am not aware of this problem, could you open an issue in the Github of the plugin, or a link to an UE issue in AnswerHub? I will look into this so that you could get a fix in the standalone plugin before the next UE4. 17 release (too late for 4.16)
    Last edited by SRombauts; 04-26-2017 at 06:16 AM. Reason: Link & signature

Unreal Engine Developer
    Quote Originally Posted by Juca Duarte View Post
    Is this new cloth core tool supported in mobile?
    No clothing is still restricted to the same platforms as it was previously.

Quote Originally Posted by FS Creations View Post
    Great!

I can't find the Cloth Paint editor anywhere... the one shown in https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r40PJ6r_P4c at 27:00. It should be in the skeletal mesh viewer but I can't find it.

Do I have to enable any specific option? Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by visualnotte View Post
    where is tools Cloth Paint?
    The clothing tools are in an experimental state for this release. Which means they aren't quite ready for prime-time and are subject to much change between now and them coming out of experimental. If you want to try them out in the state that they are now, head into 'Editor Preferences', then to the 'Experimental' settings and enable 'Clothing Tools'. After that there should be a window called 'Cloth Paint' in the 'Window' menu of the skeletal mesh editor. If you already had the skeletal mesh editor open when you changed the settings you'll need to close it and re-open it (just the skeletal mesh editor, not the whole editor).

Quote Originally Posted by mahri726 View Post
    Will this version of the engine support NvCloth authoring in editor or an external tool similar to APEX clothing tool will be needed ? Also, is .apx or .apb import still supported for this new clothing system ?
    As mentioned above there is an experimental in-editor solution but it isn't quite production ready yet. For the foreseeable future we'll be keeping the ability to import .apx and .apb files as clothing assets as we know a lot of people are used to that workflow. On import your asset will be converted to the new Unreal clothing asset under the hood and everything should work as it always has.
    Animation and Physics Programmer, UE4, Epic Games

Quote Originally Posted by SRombauts View Post
    No, I am not aware of this problem, could you open an issue in the Github of the plugin, or a link to an UE issue in AnswerHub? I will look into this so that you could get a fix in the standalone plugin before the next UE4. 17 release (too late for 4.16)
    Sure, i'll look into it, when i am home again. Does the standalone plugin support all the things added/fixed in the buildin? Or are there currently differences between standalone and preview 4.16. Pretty sure the problem comes from the rebaseworkflow i use(rebasing a featurebranch on top of another local developmentbranch)
    Last edited by Memnarch; 04-26-2017 at 06:40 AM.

Supporter
    There was a blog post yesterday about keeping the roadmap updated and change the "Trello workflow", or something like that, but now it has disappeared, should that mean you changed your mind about that?

Infiltrator
    Quote Originally Posted by ZacD View Post
    This is what I'm most curious about as well.
    seems like there is no love for the USD file format...

Quote Originally Posted by Memnarch View Post
    Does the standalone plugin support all the things added/fixed in the buildin? Or are there currently differences between standalone and preview 4.16. Pretty sure the problem comes from the rebaseworkflow i use(rebasing a featurebranch on top of another local developmentbranch)
    1. Yes, the standalone Git plugin I maintain contains all the build-in fixes before they are submitted to the Engine. This plugin can only be used in you Project Plugins/ directory and it replaces/overloads the build-in "Git (beta version)" with a "Git (dev)" Source Control Provider selection.
    2. Merge conflicts resolution should work, but I remember that rebase/cherry-pick are not working the same way at the Git level.

Edit: for now, you need to build the git plugin yourself (just put the source in a C++ Project), but I'll provide a binary release for 4.15 soon(TM)
    Edit 2: I've release a new version of the standalone Git plugin "v2.0" for UE4.15 with all features and bugfixes developped for UE4.16 and some more
    Last edited by SRombauts; 04-26-2017 at 04:57 PM. Reason: I've release [URL="https://github.com/SRombauts/UE4GitPlugin/releases/tag/2.0-beta"]a new version of the standalone Git plugi

I managed to get my plugin to work with the preview build perfectly, but it fails at the packaging of the game. Is there any new related specific things to make for packaging to work with plugins?
    LinkedIn | Nvidia GameWorks builds | 4.16.2: Flex - Volumetric Lightning - HairWorks - Flow - Here
    | 4.15.3 : Flex - HairWorks(MorphTarget support) - Volumetric Lightning - Flow - Here
    | 4.14.3 : VXGI - Flex - HairWorks - Here
    | 4.16.2 (no packaging): VXGI - Here

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Sarkanen View Post
    The new in-editor animation tools are in this release. We aren't calling them out as they are currently in a very experimental state, but all the features that we were aiming for (including baking to anim sequences) are included. We would love to hear your feedback!
    As for feedback - any chance you can tell us how to create our own rigs? For example I have bought character in marketplace that isn't rigged to UE4 Manequin. I'm trying to do new rig but I don't know how to connect bones...

Another thing is how to create rig for not humanoid things - for example fpp arms.

Edit: I haven seen Control Rig tab in Skel Mesh Editor. This resolve first question. Second thing for arms is still open

What you could guys try is to grab some marketplace character - for example Goblin - which is humanoid and try to make rig for control rig using it. I have failed. Right hand and left leg are broken.
    Last edited by intoxicat3; 04-26-2017 at 08:50 AM.
    How to create first person shooter game from scratch. Lots of tutorials: http://www.shootertutorial.com - celebrating 50th Tutorial!

Infiltrator
    loving the new volumetric lights!
    Thanks Epic

Promoter
    Quote Originally Posted by richst42 View Post
    loving the new volumetric lights!
    Thanks Epic

Nice!

Have to post Tor's test as well as it looks really good as well

https://www.instagram.com/p/BTWDkoTjYtL/

Infiltrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghiest View Post
    Nice!

Have to post Tor's test as well as it looks really good as well

https://www.instagram.com/p/BTWDkoTjYtL/

That's what inspired me to try it out

"Hidden Actors" and "Show Only Actors" do not seem to work in PlanarReflections: the drop down menù always shows "None" after selecting any object. Is this a know issue?
    This feature is widely used in Robot Recall, does it need to be somehow enabled?

I've been using it for a couple weeks now, love it!
    Last edited by Maxime.Dupart; 04-26-2017 at 10:37 AM.
    LinkedIn | Nvidia GameWorks builds | 4.16.2: Flex - Volumetric Lightning - HairWorks - Flow - Here
    | 4.15.3 : Flex - HairWorks(MorphTarget support) - Volumetric Lightning - Flow - Here
    | 4.14.3 : VXGI - Flex - HairWorks - Here
    | 4.16.2 (no packaging): VXGI - Here

Some epic stuff in this release

Unfortunately I get these:

2>[1/3] Link UE4Editor-D3D11RHI.dll
    2>[2/3] Link UE4Editor-SteamVR.dll
    2>[3/3] Link UE4Editor-SteamVRController.dll
    2>LINK : fatal error LNK1181: cannot open input file 'openvr_api.lib'
    2>LINK : fatal error LNK1181: cannot open input file 'openvr_api.lib'
    2>LINK : fatal error LNK1181: cannot open input file 'GFSDK_Aftermath_Lib.lib'

I already deleted my Intermediate folder, no dice.

Anyone got any ideas?
    Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

They did say hot reload on VS2015 was broken with linker errors, right in the first post.

For those already experimenting with VolumentricLight,
    Could you do some comparisions on visual/performance hits with different detailsettings? Like how visible are the differences between low resolution VolumentricLight and High and its performance differences?
    (Not at home right now :/)

Unreal Engine Developer
    Quote Originally Posted by oglu View Post
    It is in there as an experimental plugin. You have to enable it first.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast