User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Physics Forests - A New Real-time Fluid Solver

Fantastic. A glimpse into the future.

Infiltrator
    A nice waterfall:

Haha! Just watching the videos is fun, though for practical purposes are there any plans for multi-grid/importance sampled sims? (Multiscale simulation detail where needed, I imagine just querying generating and querying SDFs would give you about a perfect approximation of where it's needed). And also any plans for caching sim results? Non interactive areas would benefit greatly from caching, EG a big unreachable river down below a bridge or even just a distant one.

Or really I guess there are a thousand ways to reduce this to utterly practical use, like just using it to spawn water particles from splashes or using it for particle based cloth sim. Actually that last one would be the most interesting, as you'd vastly reduce the number of simulated particles needed and could support pretty much ubiquitous cloth sim. Anyway looking forward to it being available, good work!

Perhaps a naive question but do you intend to release this as a general plugin and if so, do you have any sort of estimate when it might be available?
    Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Excellent work.
    I have had an interest in realistic water in Unreal Engine for a long time.
    My target to build a realistic forest river (stream) that interact with rocks, have foam, etc, like in this video:
    https://youtu.be/RsuafL_X270?t=18s
    It is seems that this is achievable with your plugin.
    Hope that you will release it on Unreal Engine Marketplace soon.

Awesome! will you release on marketplace as blueprint ?

Infiltrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Frenetic Pony View Post
    for practical purposes are there any plans for multi-grid/importance sampled sims?
    Yes, I've already mentioned it in my previous posts. At the moment we are still focusing on quality. We've improved results in the last month quite a bit, but it is not really visible in this waterfall video.

Quote Originally Posted by Frenetic Pony View Post
    And also any plans for caching sim results?
    I didn't really think about that option. I guess we would quickly run out of memory. If we find any practical applications, we might do it.

Quote Originally Posted by DamirH View Post
    Perhaps a naive question but do you intend to release this as a general plugin?
    If you mean general = available for anyone to buy / use, then yes. If you mean general = including all other physical phenomena, then the answer is that we will try to incorporate as much as we can. If it turns out to be beyond our reach with limited (human) resources, we will try to incorporate it in existing physics engines.

Quote Originally Posted by DamirH View Post
    if so, do you have any sort of estimate when it might be available?
    We will not release it before it is practically applicable, that means before we implement all approximations planned and include additional features, at least constrained rigid bodies (ragdoll etc) . It's hard to estimate (maybe 6-12 months), our further steps might also depend on potential customers.

Quote Originally Posted by gentoo5 View Post
    will you release on marketplace as blueprint ?
    We haven't decided yet, how is it going to be released. Possibly on the marketplace. I will have to read the terms and conditions.

Hello,

Looking awesome. I am considering using this plug-in for two scenarios in my project Crusoe (link below):

1. A piping system for agriculture: Connect several poles with each other and let the water flow through them; the poles are placed horiozontally and will be open on the top so player will see the water flow.
    2. Rather unlikely but I'd like to explore the idea: Water on the beach. I am considering adding water physics to the beaches and near the rocks such that foam will spawn when in contact with them. Somes ocean waves that will propagate are also in planning. Can you system handle waves (well)?

A note to drop: If I do use your plug-in it would be integrated in a few months time; it is not a core system of the game but would be a nice add-on for the visual quality.

Thanks for the plug-in and your time. I wish you much success with your work because it's great.
    Cheers,
    Univise
    Take a look at my game: Crusoe

I do custom programming work and give tuition in all aspects of the engine: just PM me.

Here are some useful tools for you: Event Subsystem and First-Person Animator Tool

Infiltrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Univise View Post
    1. A piping system for agriculture: Connect several poles with each other and let the water flow through them; the poles are placed horiozontally and will be open on the top so player will see the water flow.
    That would probably already work well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Univise View Post
    Can you system handle waves (well)?
    We plan to try an simulation on the top of Gerstner waves - that means near objects in water (ships) or new boundaries (beach), we would simulate using our method and the result would be continuously blender to waves.

Infiltrator
    our video was accepted to SIGGRAPH'17 Real-time live session
    you can find our submission video (2min limit) here:

it contains a compilation of our old scenes, but as you can see, the quality improved quite a bit (for example swirls are formed nicely)
    Last edited by lubor_; 05-26-2017 at 11:15 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12