Lighting broken with orthographic view

Hello guys,
could you upvote the following issue, so Epic hopefully going to fix it after almost 3 years?

&

Thank you very much.

e/ It’s more than the submitted issue, lighting is completly broken. But i didn’t find another bug report.

Top: Perspective view
Bottom: Orthographic view
Stationary Pointlight used

1 Like

Best thing you can do is using the Perspective Camera and adjust Field of Video to make it look like ortho. Other than that, it will be a pointless fight to wait for them to update ortho lighting, if they ever gonna.

1 Like

Thanks, working great. But still hoping for a fix someday.

2 Likes

I too experience this grief

Has there been any update to the lighting since then?. I’ve come across the same issue and am looking for a fix or work around.

I tried the perspective camera with a 0.1 degree. The spring arm has to be pushed so far away to get close (not exact) to a similar look and it still has lighting issue due to the distance to the light. Mostly point lights

Thanks

1 Like

Three years later, this is still a problem. The top is the camera in perspective mode, the bottom is orthographic.The skylights have shifted a little between pictures, but it’s obvious we’re not getting the same lighting effects between camera types.

1 Like

Any chance this is getting fixed in UE5?

2021 here, still no shadows in Orthographic!

2 Likes

UE5, 2021, still broken lmao

3 Likes

If the orthographic camera itself is hard to fix, maybe some middle ground workaround would be good enough for most projects?

Setting the perspective camera’s angle really narrow and pulling it WAAAAY back to try getting around the issue seems to create lighting problems. Maybe if there was an option to manually set “virtual / fake” distance & angle values to the camera to override and be used in lighting calculations, it could help?

I ran into this problem a few minutes ago in UE5 Early Access 2, and a quick search brought me here. I was surprised to see it has been an issue for years now. Was pretty sure that it was a bug due to UE5 being early release and all.

What kind of lighting problems did you encounter? At least in UE4, i didn´t had any problems so far, and my camera sits about 6500 units away from the “2d” scene :slight_smile: (does that count as far? ) But it´s still noticeable at the sides, that it is not real 2d.

Ok, for UE4 and Lumen, this might cause some problems.

2022, with the same problem, lol

It’s been so long and it never was fixed, so sad

Not only this problem, many problems have not been solved after 4.5 years

1 Like

2023 here. Still not working. I’d venture to guess it’s because the literal location of the camera object is at some 0,0,0 or crazy unknown unseen value. Who knows. I’ll return if I find a fix, I have no choice but to find a fix. The orthographic camera is too relevant for the style I’m going for.

I don’t mean to poke, but did you find a solution?
I’ve been trying to fix it for the past year almost.

1 Like

Please, need solution. Tweaks with perspective camera are horrible.

Yeah seems it’s still bugged

Still a problem, Unreal 5.1.1

1 Like

Looks like, orthographic rendering is finally being adressed :slight_smile:

https://portal.productboard.com/epicgames/1-unreal-engine-public-roadmap/c/1160-orthographic-rendering-experimental

1 Like

This seems to be the solution for version 5.3, has 4.27 been resolved? I think this important issue should not be delayed for 4-5 years, and Unreal Engine should also pay attention to 2D rendering because its 3D is already great.