The new forum software is HORRIBLE (mobile theme on desktop)

This new look for the forum is undoubtedly the WORST forum software I have ever seen and have seen a lot. There is no layout whatsoever, the texts just stretch from one end of the screen to the other, there are no more thread tools like searching a thread or if they are I couldn’t find them (which means the layout is bad). It looks like something you would give to a first grader who is learning to read. Lots of big buttons, big elements, little information.
Is this some sort of appeasement to the new world of “mobile devices”? Because I have noticed that more and more websites are using this childish design now, big screen elements, only 3 sentences on the whole website and a big picture that fills up the background.
If it is, then please note, Epic that we are developers and we develop in an office on a desktop. When you have a 32" + screen and the text flows from one end of the screen to the other, then you have to start moving your head when you read and that’s rather un-ergonomic.
So for the sake of reason, please go back to the old look!

Did something change? I haven’t noticed anything different.

Maybe you accidentally switched to mobile version?
It happened to me once, I don’t know why. I think I needed to remove “mobile” part from forum address and then it worked. Couldn’t find proper setting in profile management (probably there’s no such setting).

I think I know what you mean. For some reason one day I started getting what I assume is the mobile version of this forum on my desktop, but only when I used the Vivaldi browser, if I switched to chrome or opera it was fine and it went away after updating the browser.

Yep, he’s talking about the mobile theme; I just don’t use it…

I’m a bit curious about this one. I’ve seen one other person report accidentally switching to the mobile version of the browser and then getting stuck on that theme. Does anyone have a clear repro?

Interesting, we never test with Vivaldi, just firefox, chrome and IE. Is this consistent?

It kept happening at home but on my work computer that uses the latest version of Vivaldi it wasn’t happening so I assumed the update fixed it.
I just updated at home as it kept happening on version 1.7.735.46 but it didn’t help. I’m currently on 1.8.770.54 (Stable channel) (64-bit) and it’s still happening.
I don’t know if it’s happening on other browsers, it works on all other ones I’ve tried on (Opera, Chrome and IE).

Here is a screenshot of what I’m seeing if that helps:

More Vivaldi version info if that helps:

Vivaldi 1.8.770.54 (Stable channel) (64-bit)
Revision e2cd2e0f9cc4bf56968f7869149c05302db06306
OS Windows
JavaScript V8 5.7.492.72
Flash 24.0.0.221 C:\Windows\system32\Macromed\Flash\pepflashplayer64_24_0_0_221.dll
User Agent Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.3; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/57.0.2987.138 Safari/537.36 Vivaldi/1.8.770.54
Command Line “C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Vivaldi\Application\vivaldi.exe” --always-authorize-plugins --disable-translate --enable-blink-features=ResizeObserver --mark-non-secure-as=show-non-secure-passwords-cc-ui --ppapi-flash-path=“C:\Windows\system32\Macromed\Flash\pepflashplayer64_24_0_0_221.dll” --flag-switches-begin --flag-switches-end Vivaldi Browser, Community and Services Help
Executable Path C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Vivaldi\Application\vivaldi.exe
Profile Path C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Vivaldi\User Data\Default
Compiler MSVC 2015

Let me know if I can help in any way :slight_smile:

I use the UEDark style and zoom-in to 150% to make it somehow readable, this forum design is embarrassing for 2017.

I would post a screenshot but there isn’t even a button to add an attachment in this layout

There was some link at the bottom of the screen and I accidentally clicked it and now it looks normal again. What the heck?
I dont see that link anymore now that the forum looks normal. Is this a feature? And how did this happen so that I can avoid that in the future?

Noone seems to know exactly why it happens, but when it does, just scroll all the way down and click “full site” to fix it.

You really like complaining and whining don’t you? How is the forum not readable normally(without the mobile theme bug)?

Yeah I’m surprised to see him here all the time when he hates everything Unreal so much.

Let’s be realistic, Crytek forums are more modern and interesting. :stuck_out_tongue:

This is the feedback section, either come up with a counterargument or let the mods do their job instead of delving to personal attacks or if you are a fanboy perhaps you should keep away from this section since it triggers you.

I asked how the forum isn’t readable as I see no problem with the readability of the forum and I’m genuinely interested in hearing why you think that. If you can’t defend your argument then why are you in this section?
Most of the time I see you complain and very rarely give any kind of constructive criticism. This makes it seem like you are just here to whine. Merely complaining without giving any suggestions on how to improve something won’t help.

I don’t mind seeing people complain about anything as long as they have suggestions on how to improve or fix the issue. I complain quite a lot myself but at least try to make a point of giving suggestions or saying why I think something is complaint worthy.
But if you want to continue to be debbie downer and just whine, then don’t get upset if people get tired of seeing it and calls you out.

Hey guys, it looks like the online team is working on this. It’s not browser specific, just kind of random.

Seems like you’ve all figured out what’s the basic issue here: The forums default to the mobile theme for some people, which that theme doesn’t include the dropdown menu for theme selections. To fix it, you just need to change themes. If you can’t get to the theme dropdown or a “view browser in desktop mode” option, just add “&styleid=6” to the end of any forum link, then that should put you in a standard theme temporarily.

EDIT: To address the issue of the forums needing an update, we’ll be moving on to vbulletin 5 soon. I can also have the team look into theme changes if I get specific information about what would help improve the quality of the forum’s layout/style.

Oh wow, that’s totally broken. I just reported that to the web team with your post attached and some repro information. Thank for letting me know about that, I’m sorry it was ever happening in the first place.

Thanks for the report, . We’re taking a look at your search issue.

Great to hear it :slight_smile:
Current themes are quite clean and easy to read. Although few more improvements could be implemented.

1. Left section (around nickname) is crowded. Modern forums often hide most of information about user in thread view. But additional user is displayed on hovering nickname/avatar.
  2. Readability could be improved if you’d remove top bars in post UI, decrease space between posts.
  3. Additional elements like “Reply” at the bottom of post also could be hidden, shown when mouse moves over post.
  4. There are few useless informations in the thread list, i.e. Views count. Does anybody care? It could cleaned up a bit too :slight_smile:

I don’t think such changes would require a lot of work. It’s few tweaks and tiny UI features for 2 themes.
Look at the GOG forums for reference. It’s similar to Unreal forums and it’s really pleasant to browse it.

For a while I was thinking about even more minimalistic approach, but if you don’t like to enable avatar pics - it would look “primitive” :wink:

Perhaps it would useful to rethink what kind of info is presented in user profiles?
Now we see post count and rank (based on post count I guess) which doesn’t provide any useful information. Yeah, I know the guy wrote over 2000 posts and… so what? Maybe he loves to help people or maybe he’s tiresome spammer :wink:
IMHO it would be nice to set ranks based on “karma” - we can vote for particular posts. Why not used it for karma system? If it’s technically possible, also add karma from Answer’s Hub.
Maybe it would be nice to have user profiles tailored to gamedev. Nice way to present ArtStation links, LinkedIn or just simply list of games user worked on?