Space Combat Kit - ship models, different flight styles, combat AI and more

Hello there. I’m working on the Space Combat Kit, a 100% blueprint kit which will feature everything you need to get started making your own space combat game. You can check out my website here: https://spacecombatkit.wordpress.com/
Facebook here: https://www.facebook.com/SpaceCombatKit/

The kit also incudes models exclusive to this kit from MSGDI, who’s work you can check out here: msgamedevelopment | CGTrader
The kit is designed so it’s very easy to add new turrets, fighters or capital ships with different weapons loadouts.

Update: Hey guys! The kit is almost ready, I’m currently finishing the documentation and collecting some marketing screenshots which are required to submit, as well as dealing with the last few bugs.

In the meantime, I’ve had requests to put the kit up for sale early, and since I could use some feedback, I’ve decided to do so.

You can now find it for purchase here: https://sellfy.com/p/qGCl/

Current Feature List:
Firelance](https://spacecombatkit.files.wordpress.com/2017/03/firelanceperspective.png) Capital Ship (model and ShipCapital blueprint - follow splines, or control them directly)
Hawk](https://spacecombatkit.files.wordpress.com/2017/03/hawkperspective1.png) Fighter Ship (model and ShipFighter blueprint - 6DoF movement - third person or cockpit view)
Fighter AI - including avoidance for obstacles
Spline Follower Component - to make capital ships (or anything else you add it too) follow preset flight paths
Turrets - 3 animated turrets and 4 types of AI included (anti-fighter, anti-capital, anti-all, and parentcontrolled)
Weapons - Animated cannons, miniguns, missile launchers and torpedos all included - meshes and blueprints
Instanced Destructible Asteroid Field - spawns hundreds to thousands of destructible instanced asteroids before hurting performance plus six asteroids included
SpaceScape - several premade SpaceScapes (Free program to make your own space backgrounds) and a skybox blueprint with optional asteroids
Cockpit - Interactive joystick included, as well as modular buttons and panels you can add and tie to your own variables
Example Game Mode - Join the space pirates or space cops, and spawn in that teams capital ships animated hangar. AI will spawn too. Take out the enemy teams capital!
BP_ObjectiveMarker - 3D objective marker. Defaults to show friendly and enemy fighters and turrets. Can be disabled or attached to anything else, it’s color changed.
Aim Prediction - Target enemy fighters and get a reticule that positions itself based on where you should fire given the speed of your weapons and target velocity. Highly accurate!
Full VR Support

Replication - 90% there. Ships and weapons are all replicated, as is spawning. Not included is the option to join/host servers, but I can set you up with a video on how to do that if you like. I would like to add this option in the near future so the kit is just good to go for multiplayer stuff.

Current Status: Cleaning up and tidying up the blueprints before submission, also creating required marketing and tutorial/documentation material
Also working on adding different flight styles - right now there is impulse (W moves you forward but if you don’t hold it you slow down) and throttle (W increases your desired speed, and your ship will then maintain that speed). I’m looking into adding physics based ships. Right now ships use the Character Movement component for the various features it has, like excellent replication and simplicity/understandability. I also have included my own movement component you can add to create your own flight, but considering the many benefits of the Character Movement component, it’s not recommended)

Tutorials

You can view my first tutorial on adding in a new ship (mesh and materials) here: Setting up a Fighter P1 - Meshes and Materials - UE4 Space Combat Kit - YouTube

And my tutorial on setting up a new Fighter (Panther*) with weapons here: Setting Up a Fighter P2 - Fighter BP and Weapons - UE4 Space Combat Kit - YouTube

And part one of setting up the Tempest Carrier* mesh and materials here:Scifi Carrier Tempest Setup - Part 1 (mesh&materials) - UE4 Space Combat Kit - YouTube

And part two where the Tempest Carrier* is set up as a flyable capital ship here:

Many more tutorials will be forth coming, that will be short, sweet, and show how modular and interactive the kit is.

Note: In the past I sold an earlier version of this as the Space Combat Starter Kit on sellfy. Because I have a new contract with an artist, I can’t give the new version to people who purchased the old version (anyone who purchases from the epic marketplace is good to go). If you want a no questions asked refund just let me know! I’m also not sure if Epic has a coupon system but I will be looking into getting coupons for anyone who purchased the old version.

*Not included, video meant to both demonstrate how easy it is to swap in your own ship meshes, and advertise MSGDI’s available ships, who made the ships that come with the kit. The Firelance Cruiser and the Hawk Fighter are included with the Space Combat Kit. Other ships from the same artist are available at msgamedevelopment | CGTrader

Looks very cool :slight_smile:

I’ve updated the page with some new tutorials and high-res screenshot. In the process of taking some required marketing material for submission.

We’re also adding new AI type - There’s 6DoF AI with avoidance, but we’re adding a steering based, for more plane dog-fight style AI flight.

Thanks a ton :slight_smile:

@Pinworm “…6DoF AI with avoidance…” WONDERFULLL!!!

It would be cool in addition to all, things like evolution system, navigation system using map (mini-map), POIs, quests, and teleport (hyper-drive), customization system for ship and weapons using collectibles: ammo, weapons, armors and ship improvements and customization parts randomly spawned.

I agree with apoisonedgift.

Looks very cool:slight_smile:

Hey, thanks for the feedback! :slight_smile:

I definitely have plans to continue updating the system over time and adding many of the features you suggest. For example the cockpit has a nice circle UI that’s unused at the moment, I want to add in a simple marker for objectives (kind of like Elite Dangerous’s forward tracker), or maybe some kind of map of some kind.

That and a POI marker would be very good features. I’ll try and get those in this week.

Hyperdrive is something I have plans for as well, mainly I need to figure out the art side. My plan is to make it so you can go into the carriers hangar, then take control of the carrier, after you beat the enemy teams capital. Then you can go into hyperdrive and select a new map, which will load a random (but seeded so it’s procedural) background and asteroids and stuff, so you can keep going to different maps or set up your own.

Ship customization and weapon customization is already technically in, but editor only - I want to make a screen like you’re suggesting where you can configure which weapons go in which sockets and take which fire input, etc. Also make it super easy so you can add in your own ships and select new ones. Maybe a customization screen when you spawn in the hangar, and at the start of the game you can choose which carrier (by default it’ll be the ones that come with the kit, and you can customize them. Maybe even customize the turrets on the carrier? Get sockets to choose which goes where, perhaps with a mass limit?)

Those are great suggestions :slight_smile:

This looks great and also thanks for the second video. I did not know I could rebuild the collision mesh in the editor.

Would this just be combat and flying or will you be adding (or already have), docking, landing, etc

I sort of have docking. The Cruiser included comes with a hangar and animated hangar doors, and the way my example game mode works is it spawns a fighter in these hangars (and assigns it to a controller if one is waiting for a fighter).

There’s no reason you couldn’t change things up and have it so the doors open when you fly near so you can fly in and dock.

One feature I want to add is a ship customization UMG screen. Perhaps I can make it so you can dock with the cruiser and change your load out, too?

As for landing, I’m not sure if you mean getting out of the ship into an FPS view, but that’s actually really easy to include. I’m not sure I will with the kit - adding FPS stuff adds some bloat - but I actually have a tutorial on how to enter/exit ships.

I look forward to this :smiley:

Looking forward to this. Any news on when it will come out?

I can’t wait to see it. Good.:slight_smile:
I hope it do not go to beyond my budget!
Please, Consider a cool price!

Looks great! I’ve been wanting an asset like this for sometime now! Can’t wait! :smiley:

Sorry for the delay in responses, have been hard at work finalizing the kit. We’re done the first draft of our trailer and almost ready to submit :smiley:

Holy cow! Looks amazing! Especially the laser beams :slight_smile: Can’t wait! Looking forward to this!

This looks fantastic! Please release it on Gumroad or something, I can’t wait! :slight_smile:

This looks great! I really like the shooting prediction system, looks very useful :).

Always nice to see more space stuff on the UE4 marketplace!

Looking great! some idea about the price?

Hey guys! The kit is almost ready, I’m currently finishing the documentation and collecting some marketing screenshots which are required to submit.

In the meantime, I’ve had requests to put the kit up for sale early, and since I could use some feedback, I’ve decided to do so.

You can now find it for purchase here: https://sellfy.com/p/qGCl/

It comes with a few disclaimers - you’ll get my full support, but it will be available as a download from sellfy, not on the UE4 marketplace. I will submit to both at the same time (and given sellfy doesn’t need epic approval it could technically be faster). Even so, you won’t have it on your epic vault, so that’s something to consider if that matters to you. Also, there’s still some finalizing, polish, and cleaning up to be done. It’s almost ready but not quite 100%. What I’m saying is it’s ‘early access’ - something to consider but if you’d like to support the project or have it early you now can :slight_smile:

Also - the documentation is a work in progress. It’s not done yet so you’ll be going in a bit blind. I have some video tutorials up on my youtube channel but they were tests and will be redone and modernized.

For the pricing - it’s currently priced at 59.99 on sellfy, but we’re aiming to make it 49.99 on the Epic store, and the price will be the same for both once it releases. The ten dollars extra is to support the project and as soft deterrent since it’s still ‘early access’ and not on the unreal store.

I love the videos and trailers and I think this is something that would fit well with my project. Any word on when we can expect it on Epic Marketplace? I would buy it on Sellfy if its not going to be soon. I would prefer it from the marketplace though. Am I correct in assuming any updates that you make would be available to the people who purchase on Sellfy as well as Epic Marketplace?