Texture UV input - how it works?

Hello community,
I spend some time and googled many articles about this, but i just cant get it how these UV coordinates works in texture when i feed them with black/white input…
Could someone please explain me this behavior?
Btw i know what are UVs, i did some UV mapping on my models ingame, its value between 0-1 but i cant get it how this works with ?float1? input… AFAIK if i mask texture like there with “G” mask, output is float1 right? So how texture know where and how to change color? I noticed that mostly black clouds are red, and mostly white are blue but when i see it “broken”, it means when i feed texture with that clouds then i break UV from 0-1 to something like 0->0,5->0,7->0,4->0,8->1??

1 Like

UVs input is 2 gradients (horizontal and vertical) in X and Y channels

05b426ea05b15d52c38608554ab90ca988e4708e.jpeg

Texture takes it to map pixels from left to right and from top to bottom
So, in your case, small UV values becomes red, medium is green and values ~ 1 is blue.

In this case you just plug one channel into UVs, so X and Y are identical.
And it simply distorts you texture.
to better understand this effect try to multiply UVs on some small value and grow it.

4e1a0780188f0e294c305351e4de8e09ae3ed98b.jpeg

Thanks, i got it! :slight_smile: this was key info for understanding…
So for other PPL here is my explanation:

In most use cases, you have an uniform 2D Vector as UV input.

Think about the UV input as “how often does the Texture fit into the normalized UV-Space?”

The higher the numbers, the more often the texture repeats (= the texture gets smaller)
The smaller the numbers, the less the texture repeats (= the texture gets bigger)

U is horizontal repeating, V is vertical repeating

This can be useful when it comes to Landscape Materials. To avoid visible repeating, you scale down the texture by decreasing the UV Input.