Pre-shadow warning on large actor

When trying to build my level i get a warning saying “Warning large actors receives pre shadow, will cause extreme performanche hit unless bSetDynamicShadow is set to false”.

I’m building a game that has a day and night cycle, therefor i only have like 2 big moveable lights (sun and moon). Now the actor that gets the warning is indeed a large actor, but i can’t turn of dynamic shadows on it because that would look extremely ugly. It’s a huge ship on which you constantly walk and without shadows it will look really really bad. So turning off dynamic shadows is a big no-no.

Now the question is why are we not allowed to have large actors cast dynamic shadows? I’ve seen SOOOO many games that use dynamic casting shadows on very large actors such as space ships, boats, cars, you name it. Am I wrong in assuming Unreal engine isn’t build for this kind of stuff? That seems extremely unlikely to me.

So there must be something here i’m missing, right? How can i have a day and night cycle and still have shadows on large moving actors?

Or is it really only possible with extreme performance hits? :frowning: