Why wasn't this made more clear/visible??

I wasn’t going to say anything. But this (was) my spring break and I decided to download your engine. I spent three days installing and attempting to get VS 2017 and Unreal working together. I reinstalled windows and everything I had installed on this machine just to get it working. Now before doing that I did my research googling the error codes VS 2017 gave me. One of the results suggested that I download some project called “Total Uninstaller” for VS 2017. After trying that and reinstalling VS 2017 I could not even uninstall VS 2017 after further screw ups. Things were very broken. VS 2017 wouldn’t show up in programs and features but it would still be searchable and I could still run the software. I just couldn’t change anything about it. The problem was there was no problem with the compiler/code (I copy & pasted it from the learning materials). VS 2017 complained about some stuff (errors) and so I thought there was something screwed up.

This was all due to some compiler warnings about having insufficient rights and therefore not being able “to build for this target”. I only found this page yesterday and it helped immensely: Setting Up Visual Studio Development Environment for C++ Projects in Unreal Engine | Unreal Engine 5.2 Documentation

CAn you guys do something to make this page more visible when starting out with UE4 and VS 2017/2015/2013???

I have been super upset by all of this.

Hey ,

I’m sorry for the experience you had with this, but I appreciate that you shared it with us. Looks like we failed on almost all accounts at making this page accessible. We created a task to go through and make sure this is linked in all of the appropriate location - Getting Started page, Programming home page, Programming Quick Start, etc. Hopefully we can turn this into a positive and keep others from having the same issues you had.

Please let me know if you have similar issues with other areas of the documentation. We try very hard to make sure relevant pages are always linked in logical locations, but there will always be instances where we could do better.

Thank you for the prompt reply!!! :smiley: Will do. :slight_smile: