Solar System Simulator - WIP

Solar System Simulator

is study project I’m doing for learning UE4 possibilities. I’m not a game developer (yet hehe) so the work pipeline and some process maybe were done in a different way.

You can download the open project:

Full Project: http://www.mediafire.com/download/id9rkgxbxbh8122/SolarSystemSimulator_4.4.rar

Dev Package: Feel free to give a try (not ready yet): https://www.mediafire.com/folder/4vve5p1utlq99/WindowsNoEditor

One of the things that I truly wanted in project but it was beyond my skills capacity is a calendar , where you could fit the date you want and see the planets position config at that moment. is an experimental project just to learn UE4 features and tools, it was not intended to be commercially used at any circumstances. if you want to help in development it would be a pleasure to get your contributions. I appreciate everybody helps and I hope to contribute even more to the community. Have fun folks.

Softwares:

-3ds Max
-Adobe Photoshop
-Adobe After
-Adobe Audition
-Absynth
-Glueit – Sprite Sheet Maker

To Do:

-Calendar
-Ellipse orbits
-Real size/distance mode
-Improvements and fixes

Bugs:
-Saturn Ring disappears when distant
-LOD issues
-Fix sun particles

Special Thanks to:
Meathead: Joined me into Unreal Devs Community :slight_smile:
Yoeri - tips and tricks :slight_smile:
Aaron Leaton - tips and tricks :slight_smile:
Peter Newton - BLUEEPRINTSS lol
Venci - tips and blueprints

------------------ UPDATE 06/28/2014 ------------------------
is a controller test that I’m still improving it with some folks help. At first google earth controllability was the reference I was looking for. Thanks to and Peter Newton on the help so far. Click here to jump to the video threath

Also showing some spritesheets animations that will be used for mouse hover/click events in the planets. I did a tutorial about it, click here to see.
Next step is to finish those spritesheets and users interfaces and implement the blueprints.

------------------ UPDATE 07/04/2014 ------------------------

HUD concept and design

Finished the HUD concept and textures are now ready to be imported into UE4. Some screenshots:

a

Any comments or suggestions are welcome :slight_smile:

------------------ UPDATE 15/07/2014 ------------------------

Click here to jump to the video preview post.
Almost finishing the HUD implementation. I decided to do it nativaly with blueprints instead using html or java plugins (that imo still not a plausible solution for designers).

-Added planet names
-Add front HUD + button functions
-Added press “space” to begin
-Added begin game camera animation
-Added time/speed slider
-Small Bug fixes and implementations

The HUD Blueprint preview. It took me some time to built those.

Special Thanks time to Aaron, Jan and Peter ( is for u guys :p)

Reminds me of Cosmos! Great work! But whose Ryan Lee? :wink: Ryan Shah here :>

Updating:

is a controller test that I’m still improving it with some folks help. At first google earth controllability was the reference I was looking for. Thanks to and Peter Newton on the help so far.

Also showing some spritesheets animations that will be used for mouse hover/click events in the planets. I will make a tutorial about it.
Next step is to finish those spritesheets and users interfaces and implement the blueprints.

Sharing a tutorial i did about sprite sheet sequence animations.

Basic: https://youtube.com/watch?v=0C2Sj7C0RjE

Advanced: http://youtu.be/Jgzili3wZT4

Howdy brunobrito,

The Solar System Simulator looks amazing. Fantastic work!

Loving the tutorials, Glad I could help!

Hud

HUD concept and design

Finished the HUD concept and textures are now ready to be imported into UE4. Some screenshots:

Any comments or suggestions are welcome :slight_smile:

Your planets look absolutely stunning! I love the way you are expressing the colors! Very vibrant!

10/10 would stare at these screenshots all day.

Like the HUD. Really beatifull !!

How will you do the HUD ? With Slate ? In Blueprint ? C++ ?

That HUD looks awesome!

WOOOOOWWW!!! that is soooo cool… i love space stuffs… xD

Coherent UI, right? :wink:

nope, But I’m seriously considering build with it, since idk how to implement those blueprints in UE4.
Each step in blueprints i make is a big achievement for me hehehe.

At first I will try to build it in blueprints, to be honest idk how to do it yet, I’m looking some tutorials and documentation but programming part its not my strongest. At worst senario I’ll try coherent UI.
If anyone have ideas how to do it please link me a direction!

ps: What is slate? :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks for your feedback :smiley: Glad that everybody is liking. I’m still new in forums and a question occurred me. Which would be the best way to update the project? Directly in the main threat or creating a new threat for each update?

use one thread. nice project btw.

is pretty cool! Are you using vector fields for sun flares? If not, i highly suggest you do so. Don’t make them completely shinier than the sun, btw; use depthfade in the material so that they get brighter when they touch the sun. I had made a sun out of boredom a couple of weeks ago and i also scattered planes all around it in the modeling software, then gave them a flamey material.

It will add to the awesomeness of your sun if you do something like that. I can give you the vector fields if you like, btw.

Also i like the idea that you get radio signals as you get closer to the planets. :slight_smile:

I found some tutorials to do HUD.

With slate :
http://minalien.com/unreal-engine-4-creating-menus-with-slatec-part-1/

And if you want to know more on slate :
.unrealengine.com/latest/INT/Programming/Slate/Overview/index.html

Continue with your project. I would like to see it finish !

That is one beautiful HUD. Especially since you claim not to know how to make a HUD :stuck_out_tongue:

I hope you don’t mind if I borrow some of the ideas for my own project.