More realistic shadows

Hello,

I red lots of posts and tutorials about realistic lightning in UE and I try to create my own project. If this is a stupid question please excuse me but I can’t solve this problem. I’m using just skylight in this model with ambient occulusion setting open and the other settings which are like in below screenshots. However, meshes are still seeing like flying. How can i get more realistic shadows in this scene?

Thank You!

Does your floor have enough light map resolution? It might be better to scale up the resolution for the floor, and lower for the walls and ceiling, if it’s one mesh.

Yes, floor has 2048 resolution

Have you tried using the PostProces AO? Content Examples Sample Project for Unreal Engine | Unreal Engine 5.2 Documentation
What i do to make sure that my object is perfect aligned to the floor is in Maya i move the pivot point to the bottom and then in UE snap to the object to the floor so im sure thats not going to be light Filtration between the meshes

I’m already using post process and It’s settings are like this; It will be great If you can share ur postprocess settings? Actually, If there is an example project about more realist shadows that I can examine. It would be great :))

A few little things, disable post process AO, and just focus on lightmass first.

Are the floor and chairs/tables snapped together perfectly? A tiny bit of intersection or floating can cause lightmass to bake a lot worse than it should.

Are you using a lightmass importance volume and light portals?

What does the Lightmap Density view look like?

As a though a skylight generally adds a balance lighting solution and does not contain directional lighting as a point source to generate a shadow map. Add a light emitter at a position where a point source should be should produce the result your looking for.

@anonymous_user_1f775159 are you using Max or Maya to set up your meshes? A technique I use is to place a plane in your 3D software, set up your lighting so the shadow is how you want it (nice and dark!) Then BAKE that plane’s texture. Export that plane and texture into Unreal. Create a Blueprint Class Actor, put your chair in there, along with the Plane that had the shadow on it - place the plane under the chair, but just barely above the floor. Use the baked texture as a transparency map for a new material that you apply to your plane, that has black show through, and masks out white. Then you can control how dark this shadow is from the material. Works like a charm on static, non movable items like furniture with fixed lighting. Used that technique on a couple items here on link. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjtQm4q3pH4 Great on coffee tables and chairs and dining room tables. Be sure to set the material to Unlit so its just a pure texture with no lighting affecting it. Best - Jerry