Adaptive quality / dynamic resolution scaling issues

I’ve implemented the adaptive quality algorithm that Alex Vlachos talked about at GDC 2016, and it just really doesn’t work well in UE4.

UE4 really does not seem to like setting the screen percentage almost every frame. The biggest visual issue seems to be with temporal AA, everything has extreme flickering when temporal AA is enabled. Since I need SSAO, I have no other option than using temporal AA, so I’m wondering, is there anything that can be done for making UE4s TAA work better with frequent screen percentage changes?

The next issue seems to be that game thread time goes crazy:

This is profiled in packaged. You see that the GPU time is always very low, but the game thread has some huge spikes. That time seems to be spent with “RedrawViewports”:

Why does this problem happen?

I have set r.SceneRenderTargetResizeMethod to 2, so that shouldn’t be the issue.

I would very much appreciate any help on this. I would consider adaptive quality a really important thing to have in VR :slight_smile:

Hi John,

Did you manage to get dynamic resolution scaling to work without those hitches?

Yes, here is the code that I use: https://github.com/JohnAlcatraz/UnrealEngine/commit/063df74ba8bbb47eed1f79f16b17cf569ac0b8ed

Framerate drop with SceneCaptureComponent2D camera

I’m creating a simple map with targets and a rifle to which I attached a scope that uses the SceneCaptureComponent2D camera.
When that camera component is present in the rifle blueprint my fps drops from 90 to 45 in the packaged noeditor version when playing on Oculus Rift (in Steam VR and Oculus Home).
In Unreal Editor 4.19 it works without flaw. The render target texture is 512x512 pixels with a FOV of 2.
I tried everything: reduce render texture below 100 pixels, reduce rgb quality, uncheck all the Component2D options, reduce amount of details in the map–which is already very low–. I implemented the extra code “r.SceneRenderTargetResizeMethod=2” in my project config “DefaultEngine.ini” but it does not reduce the stuttering in the noEditor packaged version with the Rift. When played in VR game mode directly from Unreal it works fine since it is windowed. Nothing works

Other VR games with scoped-rifles like Pavlov available on the market and produced with Unreal play without flaw on my ovr.

Anyone has an idea?

What version of the editor are you using? There was a bug with the rendering thread that was causing frame hitching, due to memory leaking, with render targets. There were many other threads talking about issues with this because it had an effect on quite a few different systems. They fixed the problem in 4.20.