Lens Matched Shading and Unreal Engine 4 Integration Part 1

HI, I have been looking into this recently in the 4.14 branch since seeing the GDC talk.

But i cannot find how to actually configure it? They say there are 3 differnt quality levels you can set for LMS. Does anyone know if this is something that can be configured via the console?

I also have the same question about MRS.

The only documented things i can find are the bools that turn the features on or off and id love to have some options for both.

Anyone know?

Thanks!

Hey gozu,

After toggling either or both bools, the 3 different quality levels can be activated with the command “VR.LensMatchedRendering” (or something like that, just type “VR.” and you will see all the commands) with the parameters 0, 1, 2 or 3. 0 is for deactivated, 1 for the least aggressive method, 2 for the conservative method and 3 for the most agressive method.

Wow, it really is quite great. Certainly better than i was hoping. I’ve been making up a crude little benchmark / document, for comparing the quality levels in each features, here you go, anyone reading, wanting raw facts. (sorry about size of images, was trying to keep quality)
I just implemented this a few hours ago, involves nothing but compiling and setting some console commands.

!disclaimer!
These are not designed to compare multires, and lens matched, they are differnt as you can tell from the fps. But from what i can tell, multires does just as good, if not a better job? Looks good to me anyway :wink:

Nvidia VRWorks - Unreal Engine 4.14 - Protonwar 0.21n

Hardware: MSI 1080 GTX
Game settings: High, 1080x600 res on mirror window, 2160x1200 resolution on HMD @ 2.5x render scale

http://polygonz.webflow.io/testing

Thank you for the information guys. So do you recommend using 4.14 right now for VR dev given VRWorks support? I am really conflicted as to which version to be using. Thanks

The age old question! lol.
Depends what you are comparing to?
If comparing to 4.13 or anything it is MUCH better for VR and the forward render makes a massive difference.

If comparing to a newer 4.15 branch, i cant say, but if you are working on a project that isn’t yet commercially available i really think your best to stick with the newest you can, as you will only eventually upgrade it anyway. (and that can get increasingly harder :slight_smile:

Does that help? :slight_smile:

Thank you that is helpful, though I am still wondering if the VRworks tools such as lens matched shading make enough difference that I should be using 4.14 since VRworks does not support 4.15 as far as I can tell?

I’ve been getting some crashes with dynamic shadows.
Real pity as that is an almost 40% perf improvement, and sadly i just don’t have the time to troubleshoot…
Oh well :smiley: