Compiling 2600+ shaders although empty project. empty level. ? normal?

is this normal.

I created an empty mobile project. with nothing at all. I clicked launch to my android moto G 3rd gen mobile and its compiling over 2600+ shaders. taking a very long time to compile those shaders too.

is this normal?
is this how it goes with using unreal for mobiles?

1 Like

Engine has many default materials. Have you experienced this message in editor or in packaged project?

Just in editor.

Don’t worry about it :slight_smile:

hmm ok thanks champion lol

I think it’s clear that unreal engine is not ready for android game development.
I’ll give it another try in a year or so.

I’ll stick to unity for mobile apps.

Engine is not packaging unnecessary materials so it’s why I said you shouldn’t worry about it because compiling shaders you mentioned before were only for editor not for game.

The reason to be concerned about it is that it takes a very long time to view your game on a mobile device. 20 minutes + to see an empty game on a mobile device?? really? this is ridiculous… and why on earth is unreal engine wasting time and resources on compiling shaders that are not used?

nevermind. I guess thats the standard with unreal engine and mobile development.

3 Likes

It compile them only once if your UE is not broken somehow.

It compiles only for the first time. Engine stores cache in Intermediate and Saved folders :slight_smile:

I disagree on that all I seem to be looking at every time is compiling Shaders went from 70 to 6,000? whats going on?

I’m having the same problem…Why would Unreal need to compile 3000+ shaders for an empty AR scene? The only shaders that should be compiled are shaders that are being used in the scene correct? This seems broken to me, unless I’m missing something

3 Likes

I just compiled 36,000 shaders on an empty folder… in a project that has been opened hundreds of times, when I Fixup Redirectors.

Nobody has a real answer for this? It is very odd. I’m coming from Unity. LOVE Unreal… but compiling 5,000 shaders everytime I start a new empty project? Definitely feels broken and doesn’t make much sense.

2 Likes

The short answer is: it’s normal, there’s nothing odd here.
The long answer is mostly, i guess, is that UE4 has a different workflow compared to Unity.
Shaders compile once, then, unless you change the shaders, it’s done.
What compiles on empty projects is the Engine shaders, assuming you have no other assets or templates. Normally, this results in a bit more planning up front which materials you use, and more though goes into which asset and shaders are best. Compared to Unity, where I often ended up with 20 small projects to try out stuff, this never occured in UE, maybe cause I better know what to do, or because UE does not encourage that in the first place.
Of course, on bigger scenes and if you use more complex shaders and you change it - it might take a while to recompile. Afaik, however, this is the same for more complex HDRP shaders in Unity. You get used to compiling, especially the more you know when recompiling is necessary - and why.

The default pipeline in Unity has more of a realtime workflow, not even light baking is needed. That’s awesome. However, it has pros and cons, most noticable shading quality and performance at runtime, which is be big plus for compiled code. Thats why Dots/ECS use burstcompile and Unitys high quality HDRP PBS shaders also needs longer to load.
I worked with Unity, and although I love UE4 and now primarily work with it, I gotta say the shorter development cycles are a big plus for Unity.
I’d say it’s not ultimately a “UE4 thing”, it’s the consequences of a different paradigm.

Maybe someone else know an answer that’s more of a heads up regarding that, but since noone else gave an answer, that’s what I can say about that.
Have fun coding, whatever Engine you use

Hello from the future. Yeah this is still comically broken. If I open the example VR scene and try to launch it, it starts compiling 3000 shaders (I’d guess from the MobileStarterContent folder that is part of the project). It takes forever, but none of those shaders are actually used!

They should clearly be compiled lazily when needed. Doing everything up-front is insane. Very surprised they haven’t fixed this 3 years later. Just Google “unreal shader slow” to see how much of a problem it is. A disappointing number of replies are people thinking that this is a good design.

3 Likes

Trying Unreal out for the first time. Packaging the blank default scene for my Oculus Quest 2. It’s taking ages to compile thousands of shaders. This software is not for me.

2 Likes

When i export a blank app with the source version, the packaging process includes to build nearly 1900 modules which takes 20-40 Minutes rip :smiley:

1 Like

I don’t understand why starting a new blank project without starter content still has to compile 6,000+ shaders. Pretty annoying.

2 Likes

year 2022 and I have same problem in UE 4.27 :-/ moving in viewport is fluent with my old computer in unreal engine but i dont understanding compiling thousand of shaders which i dont need in blank project :confused: