Blender > UE4 FBX scale issues

I did not have such issue prior to today’s attempt to bring skeletal model from Blender to UE4. This is what’s happening:

Any idea why this is happening? How to fix ?

Thanks

it looks like the bones haven’t been reset before you exported the anims

also try exporting the anims as single files

i have a play list on youtube which might help Blender_UE4 - YouTube

How can I do that in Blender ?

Well, I need all actions to be separate anims so I could build montage and whatnot.

Thanks, I’ll check it out.

un-parent the rig from the mesh then select all the bones and press Ctrl+A and apply rotation and scale

Nope that doesn’t work.

Digging deeper I found that the so-called fix for Armature being root on export is what causes the issue. I’ve been using 2.78a all this time, without the “fix” and then I recently switched to 2.78c and I added the “fix” to the FBX exporter. And that’s what sets scale out of whack after export.

Apparently that’s what happens when you don’t use metric 0.01 scale with the root bone fix.

That’s the whole issue - with this “fix” you can’t use scale on export. So, let’s say I made my stuff and it came out to be someone small for my scene. Before the “fix” I could simply crank up the scale on export and find a proper size for my model. Now I can’t do that (although I can scale it in UE4, but I recall Epic advises against that).

You shouldn’t scale on export either, weird issues may come up. Like this one. Metric 0.01 scale works perfectly so it’s the way to go.

Never had any issues. This isn’t a way to go as this is a half-a$$ fix.

Might as well use Armature as root - no fixes are needed and scale works fine. The only issue is animating root motion by moving Armature in object mode (switching between Object and Pose mode).

You obviously had issues because you started this thread. What isn’t the way to go, metric 0.01 unit scale or the root bone fix? Because both work perfectly. Animating root motion as you said is a major pain and there are other issues too like APEX or physics assets. As well as being unable to share animations between skeletons because the name of the rig is the name of the root bone when exported.

Just talked to FBX add-on dev on IRC - he said either UE4 needs to ignore Armature on import, or there is no fix for Blender :frowning:

I wish there was an alternative skeletal format, open and well documented, so that UE4 and Blender could have seamless and painless exchange.

I saw a commit for UE4 ignoring Blender armatures in the master branch so that’s probably coming in 4.16. Good news!

Interesting. I wonder if it will just filter it out based on the name of the root.