Fridge+Crafting+Kibbles(no Fiber/Water)

Hi guys, I am really new to this modding scene (just downloaded the ADK to give it a shot and make myself a mod I wish existed).

If somebody would be kind enough to help me out, it would be really awesome and I would appreciate it a lot !

Here is my idea:

I would like to create a Fridge that would allow me to craft kibble items in it.
I would like to have all the engrams AT ALL TIMES in the Fridge, not like a regular Smithy/Fabricator/M&P where you need to learn the engram for it to appear.
The engrams would be “customs”, in the sense that I would like to have an engram named “Ankylo food” that would actually craft the kibble required for the Ankylo which would be Dilo kibble, “Quetzal food” would craft Rex kibble.
Though, I would like for the crafted items to be regular kibbles, without the need for Fiber/Water if possible (I really do hope it is !)

I know this is a huge request, but I really do want to learn this ADK thing and I tried quite a lot yesterday and today, to no avail.
I even watched a “How to create a Smithy” tutorial on YouTube and it worked, but I can’t find any reference to a “StorageBox” or anything inside the Fridge’s data…

Which is why I am here today asking all those questions.
I hope somebody will be kind enough to help me out on this. I think I am a fast learner and could help out other people if somebody teaches me some stuff for this ADK.
I have a little background in IRC scripts (oh the good old times!), really basic HTML scripts as well and I believe C++ or C# (unsure… it is a module for Autodesk Inventor called iLogic that you can “automate” stuff for your parts/assembly with scripts.)

Thank you to those that will help me!

Okay, actually, doesn’t sound too hard.

You’ll need to make a copy of the fridge.
Custom Inventory component.
Enable Crafting.
All your kibble will need to be new Consumables that you make.
You define the crafting cost for these…
Now if you want them to come out as the standard/default kibble… make them spoil very quickly… The spoil item will be the normal kibble.
To make them appear all the time… you add each of your created items to the inventory and look for the options to Force Blueprint and Force non-removable.

Thank you for your answer Kotawolf, I will be trying the Force non-removable blueprints and crafting some time today… right now I am stuck at a point where I am clueless.

I have created a blueprint for a custom item, this item does not spoil and when consumed gives me the kibble I want. This is working perfectly.
I have also created a blueprint for a custom structure, this is a Preserving Bin that uses the Fridge meshes. That part works great.
I tried to rename all the entries I see written as “Preserving Bin” and its descriptions for “Kibble” and “Make your own kibbles in here”, but I still see “Preserving Bin” when I access my structure in its GUI… I would like to see the proper name and description… and also, I still see 24 slots and its regular spoil timers although I changed that to both 60 slots and 100 multiplier (same spoiling timers as a Fridge) in PrimalInventory_BP.
I have also remapped all the entries to my custom ones (or at least, all the ones I can see…)

I do not think I will be able to try the crafting/forced blueprints before I manage to work those problems out.

(Sorry for my somewhat bad english, I am a fellow Quebec citizen)

Easier way to do the giving of the default kibble would be to set it to “craft don’t actually give item=true” and add the kibble to the “crafting additional items to give” array on the item bp

I am sorry but I do not understand your sentence. Do you mean for the PB/Fridge to give the kibble or for my custom item to give the kibble without consuming it?
If you meant my custom item, as I said, I did it this way right now to test my abilities with the Dev Kit more than anything else… I will probably change it to give the kibble right away.

As far as my problem for the inventory size and name/description still being “Preserving bin”, I had forgotten to add my custom PrimalInventoryBP in the “Components” section of the structure, now it is working properly. Now, on to trying the crafting part.

Thank you to both of you P0k3r and Kotawolf.
(By the way, P0k3r, I really like your lightning mod, used it a lot when I discovered it)

Thank you so much for your reply on the crafting situation. I have finally managed to successfully do it.
I had to enable crafting and 2 or 3 other things to make it work properly.

I have closed the Dev Kit for now, but if I remember properly, I have disabled the “Give engram to player inventory” so I can link it to my fridge, and then I had to check a checkbox for it to allow crafting of inventory items (don’t remember the exact thing). But in the end, it works.

With my setup right now, I have a “craft queue” of 5 items, but the bar at the bottom doesn’t show up… so, I will probably disable that and allow for my fridge to craft multiple kibbles at the same time (example: craft a Quetz kibble at the same time as a Diplocaulus kibble and Lystro kibble)… Does anybody knows the checkbox I would have to tick for it to do that? I can’t recall seeing one… or is it automatic if I disable the craft queue?

Thanks again !! Right now, its the only last step before I can make it work 100%, can’t wait for it to happen !

Just to double check, ensure that you are using your own InventoryBP (change this under YourFridgeBP > Components tab at the top right). In your inventory you can change the description at the top to “Craft kibbles here.”

Disable “use crafting queue” to craft every item at once.

In the ConsumableBP for each kibble, you can use “Crafting Requires Inventory Component”

This is a really simple idea, and you will learn so much from completing it.

1- This was exactly the problem, I was still using the Inventory BP of the vanilla Preserving Bin in my Components tab, I changed it and it worked instantly.
2- Really nice, I thought there would be more than only 1 item to disable for it to work this way, that is an extremely easy fix then!
3- Yes, this is an extremely simple idea and I want to make it because I think it is illogical to create “Rex kibble” for a “Quetzal”. As far as I am aware, the word “Kibble” stands for “chunks of food”, so it basically means “Big chunks of Rex food for a Quetzal” (I might interpret it wrong, as I am french from Province of Quebec, but I do believe I am right on that one).

I am aware there is already a mod that does exactly the same thing in the Workshop, but it is really old and is not being updated anymore. The most recent version of it is included in a big “pack”/mod and is somewhat updated, but I found it useless for me to download that big mod to end up only using the Kibble structure in it. This is why, if I end up releasing this mod, I will ask for his permission, as it uses almost the same mechanics as his and I do not want him to feel like I ripped it or anything. It does not use the same structure, it does not use the same ingredients for the kibbles, but it uses the same mechanics and creates the kibble we WANT not the kibble we NEED for a tame. (Produces a Quetz kibble bag that when consumed gives you a Rex kibble to feed your Quetzal).

Also, I have learned a lot already from trial and errors plus the tutorials from I believe Mystic Academy on YouTube… I am really proud of myself, as I have not done anything like this in a really long while (last time I made something for “public” was IRC scripts!!!).

I now have 3 main goals:

1- Learn how to make a structure craft more than 1 item at a time and put the blueprints inside folders (all of this seems pretty basic)
2- Learn how to make a structure “portable” (ability to pick it up IF it is empty obviously)
3- Once those 2 are learnt, I will improve my mod and probably add in stuff that will help in taming dinosaurs, food/torpor depletion/gains as well as maybe the passive tames will be my priorities.
I would like my mod to be a well rounded taming mod, because I think there are way too many mods out there that does this in an unbalanced fashion. (Shoot a dino once, its down, feed it a hunger thing and food and its tamed in 5 seconds) I want to create something right in the middle of all of this.

Oh and by the way, if any of you knows… If I copied the animations for smoke and all of this that are referenced by the Preserving Bin, is it going to make it way bigger than if I had not copied them ? I do not like big mods (in terms of KB/MB data)… I have a really slow internet here where I live and I am worried people might have too, although I guess most people that plays the game are US residents and have much more faster speeds than I am (I only have access to the slowest internet here in Quebec which is about 600kB/s and to download the Dev Kit of what… 80-90GB?.. it took me 2.5 to 3 COMPLETE days without closing my computer)

1. What you’re thinking of may simply be lost in translation. “Rex Kibble” uses Rex as an adjective, as in it is kibble derived from a Rex egg, not kibble intended for a rex. Think “Green Kibble.”

Main Goals:

1. As simple as disabling “Use Crafting Queue.” For blueprints, it’s easier to use engrams. This means one less step you take. Add your PrimalItemResource to your Inventory’s “Default Inventory” and I believe set “Default Engrams” to 1 (You’ll need 1 default engram for every item to be crafted). This should make the item show up, as an engram, after it is learned.

2. It’s either in PrimalItemStructure, or PreservingBinBP, put search “Pickup” and point it to your PrimalItemStructure. The Pickup option will be enabled.

Second post:

If you copy the Preserving Bin in game, it should default to having the smoke particle effect when turned on. To decrease the size of your mod, simply reference the exact same particle system located within the base game. Everyone will have that particle system installed, so they won’t need to install a copy when they use your mod.

Thank you for your answer (once again) Huston! I will be trying to make it pickup-able and to craft more than one item at a time right now, then I will see how easy it is to make a custom model and then re-do the whole mod to have less stuff in it since I’ll probably make my own model.

I’ll keep you guys updated on it, can’t wait to learn more as time passes by!

Update:

I have been able to recreate my “test” mod with less files, for the same progress, which I hope so will mean it is going to be less big (filesize).
I have had a hard time implementing the features I wanted in it, but now it is working properly… I just need to create all the kibbles and implement them one by one.

I have one question though: How can I find if my structure is powered or not by sparkpowder (that is the ingredient to increase spoil timers in my structure)? I have taken a quick look at the options and I haven’t found it… I hope it can be done without electricity because I do not want electricity in my structure :frowning:

The answer lies within both PrimalItemStructure and your ModdedStructureBP files. Search for things like “Fuel” “Power” and “Active.” You’ll find sparkpowder, outlets, etc. You can open up a fridge to figure out electricity, and a preserving bin (forge, fire, anything) to figure out how the fuel system works.

Sorry, from your answer I believe I either explained poorly what I would like to do, or you understood it the wrong way around.
I will try to explain better:

When I put Sparkpowder in my Fridge, it kicks in, consumes the item and starts the spoil timer multiplier, that is fine.
If there is no sparkpowder, the timers are regular, that is also fine.
What I would like to add is, when there is sparkpowder, I would like to write a specific text just like the “Powered”/“Unpowered” from electric structures… but mine isn’t electric

Is that a better explanation? and is your answer still valid? because, if it is, I truly do not understand how to achieve it then, because I had seen the “Fuel/Power/Active” fields and tried them out for the Sparkpowder and I removed the electricity outlets (ElectricJunction) because I didn’t want it powered by that.

As a side note: By taking a quick peek again, I found how to change the mesh so it appears green/red when active/inactive… I guess think this is even better, as you only need to look at it to see its status…

I’m making progress and I like it. I’ll probably publish my mod soon and give you guys a shoutout :slight_smile: (By the end of the week I guess, since I need to find good pictures for the kibbles and all that… or make them myself)

My dev kit likes to take forever to open, so I just go from memory, but I feel what I said is (although incorrect) on the right path. You can probably change the meshes for activated, but there is a string in there for activation. Take a look at the fridge to see how they do it.

There is also a “active/inactive materials” field on the structure. That would be the easiest way to make it look different when powered

Yes, exactly what I did for now and it grew on me that it is maybe the best way of doing it. Easy to see (blue = active, red = inactive) and you do not lose time by reading text on every single one of them (if you have multiple) :slight_smile: