Static Mesh - texturing 'by face' instead of UV's coordinates

Hello Guys,
I am just wondering if is it possible to apply texture to static mesh “by face” instead of UV’s Layout.
I have simple model of buidling in Blender without material. I’ve done smart unwrap for each object and then export all of them as seperate fbx’s. When I want to assign material (e.g. with brick sections), in UE4 it is unwraping accroding to my UV layouts, so some parts of obejct has diagonal look - see attachment. Is it possible to do it in other way, or I need to come back to blender, and make new UV’s maps?
Thanks

static mesh.png

Hey MarcinLas!

You’re going to need a UV map to assign textures to an object. UE4 isn’t the only 3D application that you will run into issues with a lack of UV maps for your model if you’re trying to apply your texture. It’s pretty much a necessity in game design.

So I understand that my UV’s layout needs to be made directly for texture which I can use. E.g. If I want to apply bricks texture, I need to unwrap all wall meshes vertically. So automatic unwrapping even for simple wall slabs will not work?

You never want to automatic wrap your meshes. Many people new to modeling opt for this since it’s the easiest solution, but it isn’t recommended especially for tiling textures. It’d be easier to help you if you could show us the model and your existing UVs.

Same here, i am great hater of that UV system but now i am really relaxed and i wait until Geo 2.0 can edit UV-s then i do not have to worry that my marketplace material is very wrong on my Blender model. I mostly used Smart UV Project on Blender but it still was wrong but now i eagerly wait is to edit UV-s inside UE4.

For something like bricks then it’s pretty easy to use Box mapping which will get the brick texture aligned and scaled across surfaces.

Working on UVs for a wall should be no sweat in Blender, even without the use of smart project. I’d recommend selecting the edges of the wall, press ctrl+e and mark seam. Select all, unwrap and boom! Nice clean UVs.

Absolute World Position node ?

Do you mean option inside UE4 or modelling software.

I have building like this one, created in another software. I can export all walls as one object or each wall separately. Which method will be better?
If I will export sepperately, then I need to do UV mapping for each wall, which will took a lot of time, but if I will export all walls as one object, I can do quickly UV mapping (but have problem with texture alignment), but understand that will have also problem with resolution for lightmaps, for such big mesh? Any advices?

You need to properly unwrap your mesh. At the moment everything is just placed without regard of where the neighboring faces are.
If you align adjacent faces on your mesh in the UV space, the texture will also align with them.

In your case, I wuld split the mesh up. Once for lighmap resolutions and texture space, but also collision handling will be easier on the system.

As the posts from the others suggested, you need to properly unwrap your mesh.
This is what you probably want, because it will lay your brick texture onto the walls undistorted.
You can have as many overlaps in your Texture Channels as you want. You may also exceed the 0-1 texture space.

For Lightmaps however, you need to be in the 0-1 space and need no overlaps.
You store the Lightmaps in another texture channel. Lightmaps are unaffected by your texture layout when using different channels.

I am not familiar with UV mapping process, but it seems like laborious process.
I understand that soemthing likt this in attachment will be ok?
For bigger meshes should we also increase ligtmaps resolution, correct? I’ve set out lightmap resolution for 1024, and have problem with black spots/shadows. How Can I improce it? Should I increase lightmap resolution, or import smaller part of building - second and third screen?

Thats not light map problem, its your normals on the mesh, use diferent smoothing group (in 3ds max its call smoothign group, i have no idea what its call in others software) on diferent face of mesh will fix the problem

I am using blednder. I’ve exported fbx in each smothing group, but every time is the same problem.

&d=1489272176

from this image, your smoothing group did’t set up well, that y it cause the normal problem in unreal (or in other game engine)

You should set your smoothing groups so, that orthogonal walls have separate smoothing groups.
You should also enable “Compute Normals” when importing the Mesh into Unreal. Most of the time it will fix the normal issue.

I don’t know how your texture looks. If it is a tiling brick texture, I advise to have each wall consume the 0-1 space.

Click on the object -> press tab to go to Edit Mode from Object Mode -> Press A to select entire object -> go to Shading / UVs (top left) than in Shading window click on Faces Flat button.

Entire problem is that Blender have a little bit different way of shading the meshes than for example 3ds max or Maya. If you really required to use smoothing than select one side of the object and insert another polygons in them to limit the shading. (optional)

d64e81dfedaa4c7774fb44184e27349b0293ed95.jpeg