Redwood National Park, California, USA

Hi Unreal Engineers!

I just started to work on this on the side, along with everything else I’m doing.
My goal on this is to increase my overall quality bar with foliage, so I’ve picked this challenging location to work on and learn from.
At the end of the day I thought it can be something to contribute to the loving UE4 community so here goes the first picture.

Thanks for reading.

Absolutely stellar work as always max!

I look forward to seeing this progress :smiley:

Nice! Working outside of your comfort zone and taking on challenges is an excellent way to increase your skill. Looking forward to seeing what you do with this. =)

at first look i though this picture was a photo, overall is very nice and pretty

Looks great, in particular i like the rotten plant parts. Looks very much realistic.

@ModBodDolphin, Thank you! :slight_smile:
@SE_JonF, Yeah this is forcing me to crawl out of my cave haha. Merci!
@raventhebird, @unit23, I hope things don’t go out of control… :wink:

Looks great, but to be honest, you’re going to have a very hard time competing with @whammes.

That’s what’s so great about the marketplace, you don’t need to pick one or the other. Get them both :slight_smile:
Fantastic work, that first image looks real. How do the foliage and trees react to wind?

Awesome work so far, can’t wait to see Redwoods with massive root systems and how they blend into the understory you’re working on:)

@phantom530, Thanks, I try to forget about competition because “creating another package” isn’t my goal here. I’m learning a lot of things about foliage by creating this, and sharing it with the community is my second goal. :slight_smile:
@CharacterArtist128, Currently using simple grass wind as a temporary solution for checking out the assets in movement until I get to create a custom wind function.
@Ironbelly, Without photogrammetry that’s quite a huge challenge. I’ve spent some time on the tree-to-ground blending but I’m not quite happy with the results yet and I’m exploring new ways.

Looks amazing, at first I thought it was a real photo.

This looks amazing!

[MENTION=29846]Blue man[/MENTION], Glad you though that. @HeadClot, Thank you.

Thanks to the guys below! :slight_smile:

Curious what framerate you’re getting, and what rendering setup you’re using. When it comes to competing products, that might be the deciding factor for me.

Currently the scenes above run between 60-70 FPS on my 970 at 1080p. However, there is a bug in 4.15 eating quite a lot of frame rate when using Grass Types, so can’t see the actual frame rate. I’ve reported the bug you see in my signature. :slight_smile:

Hmm. I wonder if this bug is affecting the Kite Demo as well. I recently tried to package the Kite Demo with 4.15 and the performance is **** compared to an old version packaged with 4.8. Though to be honest it’s my first time trying to package anything, so could be user error. Hopefully Epic helps you out ASAP.