Problems importing skeletal mesh from Blender

Hello,

I’ve been trying to solve this issue for over a month and every solution does not change the result of my problem. I made a character model in Blender and used Rigify to generate a rig from the metarig and bound the mesh to the rig with automatic weights. Pose editor shows that all of the joints function as expected, although I didn’t touch weight painting yet. When I export the .fbx and import it into UE4, a physics asset is not generated and it says “bones size too small”. In UE4 I can see all of the bones, and they don’t appear to be smaller than in Blender. When I manually create a physics asset and simulate, the model goes crazy and spasms inward. Any ideas whats going on?

Thanks!

You need to change the scene units in Blender to metric with 0.01 scale, scale your armature 100 times and apply object transforms for the rig and mesh and export again.

Thanks for the reply!

It seems like most of the advice I saw said something similar but I keep having this problem where when I apply the scale, the model gets pulled in multiple directions. This only happens when the scale is applied to the armature, the model itself can be scaled without problem.

You may need to recreate the rig in the 0.01 scene then.

Un-parent the model and remove the armature modifier from it. In object mode, scale both the rig and then the model to the correct scale, then re-parent the model back onto the rig.

I recreated the rig in the 0.01 scale and separately scaled the mesh and armature. As soon as I parent the mesh to the rig the same problem persists. It seems like something funny is going on with the armature modifier and the way it’s attaching to my vert groups.

I don’t use rigify but your results sound pretty strange. I made a rigify rig now and tested it with a character and it worked fine. You can try making a UE4 tools rig instead, that way you get the added bonus of being able to retarget UE4 animations to your rig (if you edit the mesh to fit the rig rather than vice versa).