User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: UE4 - intel 7700K or AMD 1800X?

Quote Originally Posted by Zeblote View Post
    Still 20-30 min? Are you sure?

My 6700k takes about that long, and the ryzen should be much faster... is it even using it fully?
    My i7 5820k @4.2 Ghz also takes 20-30 minutes, so your 6700k should take a bit longer. Compiling UE4 always uses 100% of the CPU.
    Easy to use UMG Mini Map on the UE4 Marketplace.
    Forum thread: https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...-Plug-and-Play

Samaritan
    Can someone with Ryzen on board make benchmarks with UE4?

My 6700k takes about that long, and the ryzen should be much faster... is it even using it fully?
    Same, 20-30 min for full editor rebuild on i7 6700k.

Quote Originally Posted by John Alcatraz View Post
    My i7 5820k @4.2 Ghz also takes 20-30 minutes, so your 6700k should take a bit longer. Compiling UE4 always uses 100% of the CPU.
    Just tried again to make sure, took 22 minutes.

Samaritan

Yea. Wondering if it is using all 8 cores of the ryzen for compiling ? The multicore performance has been much faster in all benchmarks i have seen so far.
    Michael Hegemann - https://twitter.com/HegiDev

Quote Originally Posted by HEGI View Post
    Yea. Wondering if it is using all 8 cores of the ryzen for compiling ? The multicore performance has been much faster in all benchmarks i have seen so far.
    Does it say "16 in parallel" when it starts compiling? By default it fails to detect hyperthreading and only runs as many tasks as you have physical cores.

Samaritan

Does it say "16 in parallel" when it starts compiling? By default it fails to detect hyperthreading and only runs as many tasks as you have physical cores.
    Not having a Ryzen yet, but i'am really interested to see how it performs in UE4 overall. Hope there will be some more benchmarks and impressions by developers in the coming weeks.

Ive been benchmarking Ryzen Editor performance and will probably putup the results soon.

Unless you guys compile the exact same project the times you individualy get don't say much.

Elite
    Quote Originally Posted by masterneme View Post
    Unless you guys compile the exact same project the times you individualy get don't say much.
    Why would that matter? Couldn't you just use something free on the market place so anyone could test, replicate, and add their own results?

I believe that building a particular version of the engine (4.15?) from the source is the most accessible way to benchmark Ryzen for UE4.

Samaritan

Quote Originally Posted by BlackSailSoft View Post
    Ive been benchmarking Ryzen Editor performance and will probably putup the results soon.
    Nice. How is the overall system stability so far, considering the bios versions are early ?

It may be that building with sufficient cores is actually I/O bound rather than CPU bound, and thus you'd be better off with a really fast SSD (M.2 PCIE or similar) ...

I am looking into getting new HW and this is (probably) relevant:

https://www.techpowerup.com/231585/a...t-memory-speed

In short: For memory dependent operations getting high speed ram is important. This can help to explain different results from tests that seems to be with equal HW.

Quote Originally Posted by ZacD View Post
    Why would that matter?
    It's pretty obvious, isn't it?

Samaritan
    Quote Originally Posted by ZacD View Post
    Oh, there's one thing I forgot to ask about, in 4.11 Epic added Intel Embree support to speed up lightmass about about 2x. So in theory Intel processors still might be a lot faster for light map baking. Has anyone tried doing some comparable lightmass benchmarks?
    Also interested in this

Samaritan
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackSailSoft View Post
    So where are your results? We want to see it

I'm also waiting for benchmarking result

Got mah R7 1700, but I'm waiting for a few more BIOS revisions before I try to push anything.

Didn't have enough money left to buy a hard drive and I want to avoid putting too much stuff on my shiny new evo 960 so UE4 might be waiting another week or so.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12