Key input not available until after left mouse click in play in editor viewport

In 4.10.4 I could immediately see the of a key input, such as “Input R” causing a “Print Text” placed on in an Actor blueprint. Now in 4.14.3, I have to first left mouse click in the in the active level plan in editor viewport before the of a key input are registered. This can be seen in the Flying example project (and other example projects such as First Person). To use the keyboard flight control inputs, one first has to left mouse click in the viewport before the keyboard inputs have an effect. Any idea of what setting I need to change to avoid having to perform this left mouse click? I tried setting Game Gets Mouse Control to on but this removed my ability to view running Blueprint pin values. Thank you.

Hey there,

The “Game gets mouse control” setting is the one you want to have enabled in order to get instant access to the controls. To regain “editor” mouse control while the game is playing you can press “Shift+F1”. When you want to go back to “in game” mode you would click on the viewport again…

I have been using the engine since 4.0.1 and cannot recall any other setting, but I do believe the editor used to capture the mouse by default so that may be the difference. Hope that helps!

Where is this “get mouse setting” ?? Thanks

To enable input to automatically switch to the game on play, go to:

Edit -> Editor Preferences -> find the “Level Editor - Play” section and enable the first option in the list named “Game gets mouse control”. You wont need to click on the viewport anymore, just remember Shift+F1 to regain editor mouse control. :wink:

4 Likes

years later you have still help a person with this comment and i thank you!