Steam Audio now free!

Sources: Steam Audio Steam :: Steam Audio :: Introducing Steam Audio

Its coming to UE4 soon!

Guessing this won’t be included til 4.16 then?

This looks like something you would have too add to the engine yourself. Maybe someone will make a plugin for it.

As far as sound goes though, I’m waiting for epic to talk more about their own audio engine features that were mentioned in the last stream.

On the full site, It’s got Unreal down as integrations coming soon with unity already done. So guessing either valve is making their own plugin.

It’s already in the first 4.16 beta: Unreal Engine 4.16 Preview - Announcements and Releases - Unreal Engine Forums
If s there any documentation about how to use it?

Ok, so: Unity documentation seems to partially apply also to UE4. Basically you can create objects “Phonon Occlusion Source” “Phonon ReverbSource Settings” “Phonon Spatialization Source” and apply them to a Sound Attenuation:
https://valvesoftware.github.io/steam-audio/downloads.html

To have the environmental and occlusion effects working you should be able to tag the physical objects in the scene to describe the acoustic properties. @Minus_Kelvin: Do you have any example explaining how to achieve this?

Also, packaging a project for Win64 with the Steam Audio plugin enabled fails due to a linking issue, any idea how to fix it?

UnrealBuildTool: UELinkerFixups.cpp.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol “void __cdecl EmptyLinkFunctionForStaticInitializationPhonon(void)” (?EmptyLinkFunctionForStaticInitializationPhonon@@YAXXZ) referenced in function “void __cdecl UELinkerFixups(void)” (?UELinkerFixups@@YAXXZ)

For reference: Unreal Engine 4.16 Preview - Announcements and Releases - Unreal Engine Forums

Were you able to fix this?

Haven’t tried on preview3 yet. Still failing?

I haven’t tried the launcher version, but it fails with my 4.16 source build from 5/4.

Still failing on preview 3. Opened a bug report here:

what’s the Status of Steam Audio with 4.17 ?