Jeep Problem -

Importing the jeep mesh in as A Static Mesh, its imports fine, Imports in as one single mesh. But in Blender the mesh is all in hundreds of separate bits and pieces. But I selected all on the mesh and exported it. So it worked ok for static mesh.

But if I put a few bones in the mesh for rigging and then try to export the jeep out and then import it into Unreal under
Skeleton Mesh Unreal says to me its busy importing in 1 of 417 mesh pieces and when its finished it gives me 417 files with hundreds of skeletons and physics files for every single polygon mesh piece. This is wrong, I never told Unreal to break the jeep all up in hundreds of pieces its not even supposed to be doing this.

How do I fix this type of problem?

So I go and download another jeep model that is supposed to be rigged, onl to find that it only got 1 single root
bone in it and no bones for the wheels and I know nothing about rigging wheels separately because I only
know how to extrude bones from the root bone in Blender.

Are all your vertices joined in Blender? I’m new to this so I may not be much help, but it sounds like you need to somehow join all the pieces together in Blender.

Sounds like they are separate meshes within Blender. Select all the body meshes and press ctrl J to join them all. Then do the same for the wheels and axles. Hopefully that helps :slight_smile:

You may get better responses if you post up the .blend.

this playlist might help you along

If an artist says that their model vehicle has been rigged when i download their model then it should have the bones in the mesh. Not just a single root bone. That’s not what you call being rigged… Because I don’t know how to rig vehicles correctly yet in Blender and that puts me at a disadvantage… I don’t have enough knowledge of rigging with Blender. But the jeep is one of the most basic rigs you can start with. That’s why I can’t at the moment rig up the wheels with the four bones unless I can separate the bones away from the main root bone in order to rig the wheels but in the unreal tutorial on the jeep the guy didnt explain how to separate away the bones from root bone in Blender. I can’t just extrude out the bone from the root when doing the axels, I have to separate it from the root somehow in order to put the 4 bones into the wheels for the axels. But I don’t know the keyboard shortcut for this.

Once the bones are in in the wheels, then i need to add the weights to the wheels and body but that only works if the vertices groups show up. and in that 417 piece vehicle I tried to do, I couldn’t do it because the body of that jeep was in several hundred different meshes listing pages and pages of polygon vertex groups because all the pieces were all in polygon NUMBERS. What a nightmare. So yes the Join function of all those pieces will have to resolve that issue and thern renamed to body, to the wheels before trying any weighting.

I had a similar issue also with the free model girl on sketchfab called Sci Girl Walkcycles, by Patrik, but her animated walk dress shows up in Blender but her dress would not show up at all in Unreal Engine. I think the dress maybe a cloth of some sort and not a mesh. Because Unreal is not recognizing it as a mesh so it won’t import and I don’t know how to import cloths into Unreal along with the main mesh body yet…Can anyone tell me the procedure of how to get her animated dress out of blender and into the engine because I’ve not been successful with this yet. I can import in the main mesh, but she is without her dress and because Unreal can’t import the dress in , her dress animations files are all BLACK containing no data because there’s no visible dress mesh to import…

If I can get the dress to import into Unreal Engine I’m not sure how to add the dress to the main model so
that you get the animations in the dress as I don;t know the procedure for this… I’m not sure if socketing the
dress to her main mesh will do it because I can’t socket that which i can’t see. It maybe that I have to export
her animations out of Blender somehow but I don’t know the procedure for that.

But the data is all in the Blender file, she animates well in the dress or cloth when she walks. I need to get her to do the same thing in Unreal Engine.

I wish there was a function in Unreal Engine called Re-Orient Animation so if the animation is facing the
wrong way, you can re-orient the animation to the right axis and it plays it on that axis.

ok slow down, start simple . first step is to learn how to work with blender keep it simple, a box / 4 cylinders / uvw maps / textures / simple rig / export as fbx

then in ue4 keep simple . first use the basic vehicle template , copy copy copy / eg create the assets that epic provide, look at what they have used and do the same , some of the things seem simple but if set wrong then nothing works.

remember UE4 changes all the time so that video tutorials might not be quite right now.

doing even a simple vehicle from scratch is a lot of hours work don’t expect to be spoon feed every step of the way.

we’re here to help but not to do your work.

google is your friend use it.

So previous tutorials end up going into a hurricane of changing versions for UE4 has always got a storm brewing… If you can navigate through all the storms then it will cooperate.

if required i can guide but not that much has change afaik

As for it taking ages to build up the vehicle to model it. It shoulsdn’t if you use arrays
But I need to know how to get that girl’s dress imported into Unreal and have it attached to the mesh if I can’t import them both into the engine at the same time.

while apex cloth is maybe not best for multiplayer games should work well enough for single player stuff

I made some progress on the Sci-Fi Girl, but I have NOT solved the walking dress problem yet. She now imports the walk cycle animations into
Unreal Engine, I exported her animations out of Blender along with her Armature but the animation is playing her walking animation but without the dress on because I do NOT know how to get her Cloth dress out of blender and into the Unreal Engine with the animation.

Screenshot of the problem…

well you’ll first have to search to see if you can attach an apex cloth mesh to a normal skel mesh and have the skels collision work with the cloth

its not something i’ve tried so i can’t help you there, i’d advise more searching of y-tube